Beethoven's 9th... best version please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Poobah,

My favourites (that's Aussie spelling for you!) are all from Deutche Grammaphon, the Kubelik version from 1976 (comes with 7 & 8 as well, I think), the Bernstein version from 1980 (comes with all 8) and the Karajan version from 1984. The later versions from DG all sound pretty sterile - to be sure, you don't miss a note, but they don't sound like you are in the audience, they sound like multi-tracked, multi-miked, 'built' sort of stuff.

Try www.allmusic.com for a listing of available versions (I think most of the are CD/SACD). I'd like to get a couple more - although I generally only listen to the choral and make a fool of myself trying to sing the words.

My own Beethoven recordings are mostly older ones and on lp, but today I would probably buy Herbert Blomstedt (low priced Brilliant Box, with the rest of the symphonies included). Slightly laid-back performances, but with an inner strength and everything nicely proportioned. I have heard only a couple of the symphonies from the set on the local radio station, but I often see it recommend as a whole. Good luck!

... best

Please define "best".

The beauty of classical music is that there is no "bests".
Karajan used to be #1 for me for Beethoven. Then I changed. Errr ... maybe a bit too fast. Tad too dynamic. Here comes Abbado. This is it ! Definitive.
Then I discover Furtwangler. Heavyweight, teutonic, almost cataclysmic - just as (perhaps) Beethoven wanted it to be.

But my advice is - get all 3 ! Classical is like good wines - they all have their own place and time, but there is no and can never be a single "best". I still enjoy Karajan (especially '77 recording). And Abbado. And Futwangler. And ...

Isn't life great !

(Abbado has the best quality recordings IMO)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.