Beethoven's 9th... best version please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks again all,

I have listened to snippets from some of these...

I was interested in Bernstein's... but he was not working with "his" band, or A "band" for that matter, he had an all star team, plus he ran slow and took 78 minutes. But I have always liked Bernstein's touch.

I have heard much about Furtwanglers, old tired mono, and where to buy?

The Karajan is circa 1962, and sounds very nice to me, some might too nice.

I might actually purchase a few different versions!

Where to buy some of the others... Solti, Chesky?

Thansk again all!

Anybody tried Beethoven 9th recordings with russian conductors? I remember some where good. Unfortunately do not remember which ones :(

Not in the topic, but please everybody try SACD reissue of Living Stereo Rubinstein Beethoven Sonatas. Amazing, real pleasure to listen.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
klemperer, man!! Nobody's talking Otto Klemperer.

Just happened to pick up an Otto Klemperer Beethoven LP in London 20 years ago. What a find! Klemperer's Beethoven is brillant.

There are some nice reissues out on CD now. Check Amazon. Kinda old stuff, but superbly directed. Good live recordings are Klemperer at his peak. Well woth buying. Even for da Wook.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Try this one from Telarc: CD-80120, Beethoven Symphony no. 9, Christoph von Dohnanyi, The Cleveland Orchestra and Chorus

I have an excerpt from that recording on a Telarc sampler CD and it's very nice. You can pick out the locations of the soloists in the chorus on a system that images really well. The dynamics of the orchestra are quite good too.

Here's a little snippet about Dohnanyi in case you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoph_von_Dohnanyi

I've also got Beethoven's No. 5 and 6 performed by the Berlin Philharmonic and conducted by Karajan (1982 recording, CD made in West Germany 1984). Sounds very good too.

Hi
I think you are on the right track ( literally ) with the 1962 DG version with Karajan. I find it the best all round.

My next favourie is the version by Sznell and the Cleveland Orcherstra. Sony reissued this as an " original jacket recording " on a ADD CD as a complete set of Beethoven symphonies. They are all good. You may still find the set at HMV otherwise second hand as it was a limited edition.

I find few others except maybe Toscanini instill the drama. I still prefer Karajan-on record.

Don

Inspired by posts here, I bought Beethowen 9th recorded by Furtwangler in 1942.
Man, Have not heard anything like that before, amazing. I was sitting with all my muscules tensed during the first part. Such an intensity!
Sound quality is dismal, but that was expected. Actually, It reminded me a sound of old movies (30's and 40's). With this thought in mind it was a pleasure to listen.

Irakli said:
Inspired by posts here, I bought Beethowen 9th recorded by Furtwangler in 1942.
Man, Have not heard anything like that before, amazing. I was sitting with all my muscules tensed during the first part. Such an intensity!
Sound quality is dismal, but that was expected. Actually, It reminded me a sound of old movies (30's and 40's). With this thought in mind it was a pleasure to listen.

I quite agree. There is nothing like this recording. It is magical compared to all other recordings, including Furwänglers own other recordings. The sound is not quite so bad either. Yes there is plenty of technical problems but there is a lot of acoustics despite it being a mono recording. One problem is that many reissues have been destroyed in the remastering.

I bought the much acclaimed remastering by Maggy Payne on Music & Arts that they claimed superior to at least their own earlier version. It was great disappointment compared to the version I already owned. They had reduced the noise, and most of the acoustics and other essential parts of the sound. :(

There are plenty of reissues of this recording, but I have heard only a few of them, so it is hard to tell which one is best. The best one I have heard, though, is on a company called "Historical Performers" and issued as part 3 in a series called "Essential Furtwängler". That is an italian company and I wouldn't be surprised if they had just copied it from some other company.

Well, as with any music, satisfaction depends on your tastes.
For example, I cannot stand Karajan's version. Just a couple of minutes (not 74!).

My temperament is more inclined to Bruno Walter's version(s). The CBS? box for the nine works is around US$35, if I recall well.

But, as I consider Furtwängler the best conductor ever, obviously my preferred one is his version. I have Beyruth's re-opening version (1951?). He declined to record it for production because of the theater's bad acoustic (for orchestra, I mean) and they had to wait after his death to make bussiness, to our delight :D
Each one of his performances is an adventure!

I would love to hear Klemperer's and Furtwängler's 1942 v. :)

Regards,
M

PS: did Sawalich recorded it? I will check a towerrecords.com

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I have the Solti with Chicago Symphony Orchestra No9. I think it was a Decca, but mine is a Mobile Fidelity given to me by a friend who didn't like it! You may need a number of versions - I bought thirteen versions of No7 before discovering the Cantelli version.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.