female musicians- - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2011, 05:26 PM   #291
diyAudio Member

TingTing Moon Prayer

Far, far away
Old 28th April 2011, 11:34 PM   #292
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Default Smoosh

Click the image to open in full size.

Home

MUSIC
Old 29th April 2011, 10:19 AM   #293
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myglaren View Post
^^ Zhao Cong is incredible. I have her "Dance In The Moon" CD but haven't managed to get any of the others yet.
Yes she certainly plays some gems, The hero of Heaven and earth is my current favourite, heavy metal pop pipa a real house shaker. Why the flowers are so Red is a warped melancholy round played by a quartet comprising of pipa guzheng hulasi erhu.

This interview of hers is nice YouTube - interview met Zhao Cong
Some of her other CD's
Carmen, (Jazzy flamenco style) The sad ababao (melancholy Central asian music), New talks of pipa ( Modern, like dance in the moon but less pipa) she also plays on the CD Lin Hai and friends. All are very well packaged and produced with both Chinese and English liner notes which is strange as they appear to be only available in China. Amazon JoYo had them all and they ended up costing less than a local CD even with express delivery which was quicker the local mail (2 1/2 days from Beijing)
Old 30th April 2011, 06:11 AM   #294
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that, excellent interview. I had heard that she is quite down to earth and the interview seems to reinforce that.
I got the "Dance In The Moon" CD from her Danish recording engineer but haven't had any luck with another yet. Tried CD Japan and her publisher but had no response.

I have bought CDs by another Pipa player, Zhong TingTing - the first Pipa player I saw and still the one I like best although her style is dissimilar to that of Zhao Cong. She is much more serene (most of the time).

Those CDs cost £50 each with the import duty
I have a DVD of her on holiday on a small Japanese island, all in Japanese, or Chinese, never too sure which, no subtitles. My daughter and I have watched it right through several times, absolutely captivated, she is just so nice. Only plays a couple of tunes through the whole thing unfortunately.
Old 30th April 2011, 04:16 PM   #295
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

YouTube - Fleetwood Mac-Christine McVie - SongBird
Old 1st May 2011, 01:01 AM   #296
diyAudio Member

Just returned from hearing Sondra Radvonovsky, Marcelo Alvarez and Boris Hvrovstosky in "Il Trovatore" at the Met, and Sondra blew the lights out! This young soprano is incredible.
Old 1st May 2011, 03:22 AM   #297
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myglaren View Post
I have bought CDs by another Pipa player, Zhong TingTing - the first Pipa player I saw and still the one I like best although her style is dissimilar to that of Zhao Cong. She is much more serene (most of the time).
Those CDs cost £50 each with the import duty
I have seen Zhong Ting Ting on bossa's you tube channel before, cute. Her vocal style is similar to Tong li YouTube - ???? by ?? Tong Li
very sweet. There is another artist with a similar name song xinxin YouTube - ??????? who is a brilliant Guzheng player (no CD's unfortunately). For me I like the fiery pipa players, Zhang hongyan is a lot of fun.
Japanese music is fixed price and shipping can be expensive, Amazon, ebay and yes asia are suppliers who I have tried. Korean and Chinese Music is much better value.
I bought a CD from the Chinese guzheng artist Yuan Sha with only one tune on it complete with a hardbound book of sheet music for that song a poster and an interview. That cost $30. Luckily the tune was 14 minutes long.

If you are still interested in getting Zhao Congs CD's PM me for details on how to set up an account on amazon.cn and where to find them on the site (very similar to the US and Japanese sites) The last parcel of 6CD's from there cost around $70.
Old 1st May 2011, 01:25 PM   #298
diyAudio Member

Thanks metalsculptor!
I have a CD Japan, Amazon.jp and Amazon.fr accounts so a .cn shouldn't present many problems.
I also have a guy who works in China that I can pester for CDs, when I get hold of him
Old 1st May 2011, 04:07 PM   #299
diyAudio Member

Hi

Mariska Peres and Yma Sumac,playing right now..
Old 4th May 2011, 10:14 PM   #300
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

One I'm sure most are familiar with but is not in the thread - Jennifer Warnes 'Famous Blue Raincoat' the lp. Never heard the cd. Not really a fan of her other stuff but we used to end every listening session with 'Joan of Arc' back in the day. Think I've heard it enough now.

Hide this!Advertise here!