I hate violin. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2006, 04:06 AM   #21
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

I like how scratches are called "marks" at this price level.

$1700 makes me think forgery would very viable here...
Old 29th August 2006, 04:40 AM   #22
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.

It's quite forward proposional to your age.
When I was at my age of 12, I didn't know what is the biolin or viorin . . .
Now, I'm a fan of solo violin . . .

ops! I'm still young . . .
Old 29th August 2006, 06:03 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

My parents endured, even glowed with pride whenever I was chosen to torture ears.
After 4 years, I loved the violin so much that I sold it for less than half its price.
It also reflects my talent
Old 29th August 2006, 06:54 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

the problem with just listening to an instrument is that it negates all fundementals that make up that instrument in the first place.

the instrumentalist.

you wont experience or enjoy anything listening to a peice no matter how well manufactered, tuned, or "skilled" the player is.

they need to have soul and passion behind every stroke and slide. life and death, love and hate.

vibrato is just a term for a commonality used by the artists themselves.

violin, viola, cello all the those instrument accentuates the instrumentalists feel since they aren't designed like a guitar where you have "notes"

its takes years of dedication and life to be able to express through an instrument. its a language.

1700$ for an open LP !?!
Old 29th August 2006, 11:54 AM   #25
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
pooge, very true. But, there are so many great works written for orchestra, and I so much prefer them played by a band. I got to be in a really excellent band in high school, and we played a huge number of great works transcribed to band. I believe that woodwinds are capable of being more powerful than a violin and also emoting at least as much. Also, listening to ourselves play is so much more enjoyable than hearing violin. But of course every classical LP I own is orchestral...

Here is an example. The 1812 overture. everywhere the music should be making your hackles stand, It just sounds like the ranks of strings are falling short in every capacity. When the two french horns enter and are easily louder, more in tune, and crisper and cleaner than all of the strings, It makes me wonder who would waste their time recording strings.

My favorite string work is the acoustic version of fade to black, which is mainly cellos and one violin i believe. It is very very cool, and I think you should look for it.
Old 29th August 2006, 02:16 PM   #26
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
$1700 makes me think forgery would very viable here...
There was a Japanese-done reissue released some years back and these currently sell in the $800 range.

Quote:
A Columbia classical LP?! What drives this? Most every Columbia classical in my collection is a multi-mic disaster and new releases of old labels destroyed the market for antique vinyl as I understand it. Perfomance?
This is a British Columbia which was actually part of EMI. A very different animal than CBS, beautifully recorded. Even imported versions of this label, sold here as Angel, aren't a patch on these wonderful Columbias. The performance is outstanding, regarded as the best and the recordings are rare, in a real sense (not eBay-rare), hence the collector's value.

John
Old 29th August 2006, 10:36 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I have to admit that most of the recorded strings I hear remind me of old 78 rpm Christmas songs. Their ARE a few exceptions.

The string passages on Jane Monheit's "Taking a chance on Love" are breath taking! Track 5 has some snappy Brass and Reeds also.
Old 29th August 2006, 10:54 PM   #28
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I remember seeing a documentary or something and Itzhak Perlman was playing some Jewish music. Brought tears to my eyes..Jewish music and violins really get to me.
Old 30th August 2006, 02:23 AM   #29
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jlsem
This is a British Columbia which was actually part of EMI. A very different animal than CBS....
That makes more sense. Well recorded unobtanium. At $1700 is it safe to guess the masters are lost as well? Otherwise the market's screaming for a SACD/DVD-A re-issue and bye-bye $1650 lucky winner.
Old 30th August 2006, 09:35 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I'm not a massive fan of the instrument (cellos and guitars are more my thing if an instrument has to have strings), but I love Nigel Kenndey's different recordings, be they experimental, jazz or more regular classical. A few others too, but not many.

Hide this!Advertise here!