I hate violin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anybody else?
I find the sound irritating and not athoritative. The notes have poor attack and never sound quite in tune. This problem is often asacerbated by violinist's and violin composer's love of vibrato. The only thing worse than a solo violin is a large group of violins. All of them slightly out of tune, and adding vibrato like it is their last hope. I was listening to an orchestral piece and some way through a flute solo emerged. I used to have beef with flute for the above reasons, but hearing this flute rise above the din was a godsend. The shame of the matter is that so much music is written for and performed by orchestras.
Give me a full concert band any day.

I hate violin

Hey you Guys!!

Shssss! You'll get the VP's* coming after you.

*) Violin Police

btw I recently heard about a pretty ornery guy that also didn't like violins and said so many times. One blue Monday, there was a knock on the door, cuffs crunching shut and after a brief trial with a useless lawyer and a fierce judge, he was sentenced to a year in the slammer with an A77 fitted-up with an endless loop tape playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons, originally recorded from a reject Phase Four record.

bulgin

Even if you are not a classical music lover can we not appreciate the ending of "Baba O'Riley" (The Who, "Who's Next") or where would we be without the poignant wistfullness of the lovely accompaniment to "She Wears it Well" (Rod Stewart 1970's) to say nothing of The Corrs (my children would actually be glad if we never said anything about The Corrs but that's another story). Vive la difference (or however the French say it).

Bas, your comment reminds me of an incident that occured in the BBC Engineering Department back in the 60's or 70's. The engineers there had the advantage of being able to compare their latest speakers with the BBC orchestra, playing live, in a studio next door. The engineer concerned (I think it was Dudley Harwood) thought that the speakers were sounding a bit rough until he went into the live studio and realised that "rough was just how the orchestra was playing that day". Clean bill of health to his latest creation.

Of course the other alternative is that the world may be full of dodgy violinists. Saxaphones are another instrument that evokes mixed feelings. Vaughan Williams wrote a saxaphone section for one of his works and noted that the pieces had to be scored properly and that they (the saxaphones) weren't going to be allowed "to sound like demented cats" . Much to be said for that policy I think.

Just to move the dabate on a little I hope you have all seen the Gary Larsen cartoon the illustrates the difference between heaven and hell. In one section St. Peter is welcoming people at the Pearly Gates with the cheerful greeting, "Welcome to heaven...here is your harp" while in the next frame his opposite number is saying to the rather discouraged line of people, "Welcome to hell.....here is your piano accordian....!"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.