Bon Dylan gripes about mastering - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2006, 04:42 AM   #1
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default Bon Dylan gripes about mastering

I suppose a lot of you have read Dylan's gripe about "Modern Music" in the news today.
Of course he seems to be talking mostly about bad mastering and over use of compression. Nice to have someone of his fame complaning about the problem. Think it will do any good?

Still, I find it a bit funny that the man who has spent an entire career singing thru his noise is complaning about SQ. Blowing in the wind, Bob, blowing in the wind
Old 23rd August 2006, 05:52 AM   #2
jerishi is offline jerishi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dylan

No- I haven't read anything about bob dylan in quite some time... but I enjoy listening to his wares....always working with different musicians/session players. I think it's to his benefit that he works the way he does. And F.W.I.W. He's put out some great stuff... as well as items that wouldn't sell (real well) at the salvation army/ good will store. He's smart... and a good musician ..with a gift...and the ability to create a contract. I am a 'fan', and await what happens next. It's the 'music business'?
Old 26th August 2006, 04:49 PM   #3
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Yes, I have read it. He would better sing and play guitar than to write about "small disc".

If the buyers would not require those compressed stuff, recording companies would never sell it. The whole problem is in commercial behavior, not small disc.
Old 26th August 2006, 05:16 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Actually I read his comments about the master versus the CD, and one of the things he was talking about in his very vernacular way was the very audible degradation of the CD sound quality relative to the master. He also mentioned a number of production related issues as well. Anyone who has ever heard a studio master vs either an LP or CD release will know EXACTLY what he is talking about. And I think he makes a valid point, even if I thought the way he expressed it was extraordinarily hoaky.

More comments later from ex audio industry veteran.
Old 29th August 2006, 04:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't think it will do any good. Most young kids have MP3 players and Ipods. New CDs sound horrible and no one cares.

The only people who really care are the people on this forum. Not enough to change the music industry. Why make media sound good when they make money tossing crap out the door with extreamly low overhead? The youth of today buy it up, download it, whatever, and they just don't know what music is really suppost to sound like.

I see the same problem with DVDs. Off topic a little, but Star Wars III on DVD acually looks about the same as the HBO HD version. The HD version had better colors, but the compression showed it's ugly head. Compression is what it's all about.

As far as music on newer CDs goes, it's not so much compression as it is unrealistic play back levels. Newer CDs are louder and when you turn them up, they start to sound just like a old tape with the record levels set too high. They can be in your face, borderline distortion, crapo sounding.
Old 20th September 2006, 03:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default The Bob speaks ...

" ... No- I haven't read anything about bob dylan in quite some time ..."

Rolling Stone Magazine issue of last week or so w/ The Bob's picture on the cover ...

I liked the interview, Dylan has not lost his touch with interviews and the Q&A session is quite interesting from a music producer's and musician's point of view.

Old 20th September 2006, 04:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Spot on ...

" ... If the buyers would not require [or put up with] those compressed stuff, recording companies would never sell it. The whole problem is in commercial behavior, not small disc. ..."

Absolutely ... the main fault for poor quality CDs (or vinyl or video) is the publishers. The rush to get media and content into the market place is always a priority for the publisher over the quality of the product.

In the case of Dylan's comments, he has no one to blame but himself ... "Modern Times" was produced by Jack Frost, ae: Dylan himself. The quality or lack there of is Dylan's own responsibility, and thus the article's reference to CDs being "too small". He had control over the content, the masters and the results. It is Sony / Columbia, the publishers, that are unable or unwilling to put the resulting album into the market place in a format that is satisfactory (CDs = 16 or 18 bit / 44K or 48K bandwidth).

There are rumors of a DVD-A (24 Bit / 96K / 4 channel) version of "Modern Times" , but in my opinion, Dylan should do the same for "Love and Theft", his previous album = much better musically and lyricly ...

Old 20th September 2006, 04:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Rubbish. The main reason for over compressed records is that they sell better. Your average bloke on the street prefers the "louder" sound.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 20th September 2006, 05:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Rubbish? ... it may be

PinkMouse: " ... The main reason for over compressed records is that they sell better. Your average bloke on the street prefers the "louder" sound. ..."

True for many, but not all. Many professional musicians and music producrs who make it their business to do as well as they can would probably disagree ... quality of output being intimately tied to their success ... and that was Dylan's gripe = the quality and bandwidth just is not there in CDs, at least from the publisher's of his music, Sony / Columbia.

There are those of us who expect a better quality from the stuff we buy ... and those musicians and media producers who will continue to try to produce better results, better quality.
Old 20th September 2006, 05:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

So it wasn't just a cheap, attention seeking, effort to boost his flagging record sales by starting a little controversy then?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!