OLD Stoner Rock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
exurbia said:
Why has no one mentioned CAN ? From "Landed" 1968 to "Tago mago" in 1973 was one big trip.
Of course Acid wasn't an essential, although Malcolm may have had a tab or two when he came up with 'Little Star' . Then again 'Turtles have short legs' makes alot of sense when your bent.

as my son has pointed out landed was released in 1975, just the tracks date from earlier.

I should have written from "Delay in 68 etc. etc.

SY said:
"It's a Beautiful Day" was a wonderful flash in the pan.
They had at least 3 great albumns: "It's a Beautiful Day", "It's a Beautiful Day Today" and "It's a Beautiful Day at Carnegie Hall" all great albums! I think on the Today album they had a song featuring lead tuba :)

SY said:
How did the Grateful Dead miss your list?
Blush, I was hoping other people would remember for me? :)

poobah said:
Early Yes, like "Tales from Topographic Oceans" was stoner too.
For me Tales was getting towards the end :) I'm from the "Fragile", "Close to the Edge" era.

poobah said:
Jefferson Airplane...:)

"Surrealistic Pillow" was the quintessential Airplane album. Though my favorite song, "Have You Seen the Stars Tonight" was off of "Blows Against the Empire"

doorman said:
Moody Blues (almost any!)
The first album I bought with my own money was "In Search of the Lost Chord", I eventually had everything up to "Seventh Sojourn" but, only smatterings after that.

dshortt9 said:
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs

Oh, yeah! Love that album! I hope I remember to listen to it tonight :) He had another before that, similar cover, can't remember what it was. Not sure if it made it to CD. Amazon comes through again: "Twice Removed from Yesterday" also a great album.

Additionals:

"Everybody Knows this is Nowhere" - Neil Young (Cowgirl in the Sand!)
"Then Play On" - Fleetwood Mac (1969?, real bluesy)

Tom.

ZAPPA at lasta but not leasta and no crappa
Brown Shoes Don't Make It

John Mayall - The Turning Point
California, with that soaring sax solo by Johnny Almond
Room To Move, The chica chica song

Eric Burdon and WAR & the incredible Lee Oskar on Harp
Spill the Wine
Low Rider
All Day Music

Chicago
South California Purples
Free Form Guitar

Donovan
Mellow Yellow
Atlantis

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
rdf said:
If you're going to pull out Grand Funk Railroad, I'll submit Steppenwolf and the James Gang. It can only get uglier from here on in.

Sorry, rdf, we part company here. Steppenwolf was quality, at least on their best albums with Born To Be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride, The Pusher, etc. Some good songs that never made the top 40 as well, (A Girl Like You). Admittedly, they had their share of dreck at the end, but few bands didn't. Bad Company wasn't half-bad, but did you ever listen to their last couple of albums?

Don't.

James Gang? Well, Funk 49 was nice, and I bought a nice live album from them. Great? No. But in their worst moments, they didn't even approach Grand Funk-style lousiness.

If you listen to the vinyl of Grand Funk's first album, in the last cut, "Getting Closer To Home", the drummer goes off the beat. Outside of "Angel Baby", a fifties single, I never heard that happen.

kelticwizard said:
Sorry, rdf, we part company here....

I wasn't really slagging the 'Wolf, jess poking a little fun at how wide the 'Stoner Rock' circle was becoming. I expect Miles Davis to make an appearance any time now. And I still pull out the James Gang Live LP bought with A&W money every once in a long while. :)

kelticwizard said:
Bad Company wasn't half-bad, but did you ever listen to their last couple of albums?

Ouch, here we do part company. To my mind the Bad Company 'sound' - music and production - laid the roots for the next three decades of characterless corporate rock.

It takes till page 4 to get Led Zeppelin mentioned??

I'll bet more bong hits were taken to the strains of Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" than any other tune in the early 70's. This is what REAL stoners listened to, not a bunch of college dweebs who thought Canned Heat and Grateful Dead were hip.

Also, the Allman Brothers Band were popular when dope-smoking down here, especially "Live at Fillmore East".

John

OK I racked my brain cells (still nursing the 2 that's left) and came up with the "ultimate stoner band". Really, ready....drum roll ....Blue Oyster Cult...ta da. I saw a concert with them headlining with Aerosmith second and Ted Nugent the opening act. They blew em all away. Tape of Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow was on house PA in between acts.

When I saw this thread I stepped in wondering "will Yes get some
nods?". Ok, you guys were there. I literally wore out Fragile two times through my youth and had to replace it with fresh vinyl.

And, ahem.... is this all about "stoner" as a genre, or can we be quite literal here? If so, my favorite stoner album would end up being one connected to a specific memory (don't we all have a couple of those?)

Early seventies summer bondfire on a Michigan beach, maybe thirty of us, everybody quite baked, and all around perfectly happy to just let the Beatles White Album play start to finish. Don't tell the kids, but some of these times were indeed magical.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
rdf said:

Ouch, here we do part company. To my mind the Bad Company 'sound' - music and production - laid the roots for the next three decades of characterless corporate rock.

I wasn't implying that Bad Company was stoner rock by any stretch, just that they were competent and listenable for a few albums. I picked up one of their last albums a few years later and it sounded like they spent five minutes composing each song in order to fulfill a contract with the record company.

Anybody see the flick "Stoned Age" ??? a little better than "Dazed and Confused" but both relevent to this thread. A little more outragous and real to life mean spirited adolesence behavoirs. Anybody who grew (threw) up in mid seventies would identify and I "highly" recommend.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.