OLD Stoner Rock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone here have the sheet music for Tarkus? I've googled around for it and have seen people talk about out of print books with sheet music for Tarkus in it. After seeing this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taniVP2ZzCg&NR=1
I thought it might be interesting to play around with it. I've got two keyboards, a Korg Poly-6 and a MIDI keyboard I use with an EMU Vintage Keys system. I couldn't find the sheet music at amazon.com or Ebay, either.

Wow, that was good... but reminds me of other ELP stuff - a lot of Keith Emerson's stuff was based on classical music, so if you can find where the ideas originated, you may be able to get the sheet music. In fact, I think a lot of the ELP stuff was music he'd already done with the Nice, re-packaged (Not putting it down, I like the music)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Do you mean all of California was randy? here in Oz that name has other conotations, ha ha!!
Must admit to not knowing the band, do you have links??

Must get out my old vinyl and play some "China Crisis " definitely not genius but maybe my tastes have changed in 30 years

Moondog55 said:
Do you mean all of California was randy? here in Oz that name has other conotations, ha ha!!
Must admit to not knowing the band, do you have links??

Must get out my old vinyl and play some "China Crisis " definitely not genius but maybe my tastes have changed in 30 years

Sure Thing,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5kRH-0c7Hg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vziWS2eq3WI

Other work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1H7VWWYPkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0fvd5YLQh0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzdnz82TSZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xSbsKHfMFE

i like american stoner music

heya'll

i'm a new member here, but i just had to contribute to this thread! my two favourite things...stoners and music! so anyway...

THE GRATEFUL DEAD. hands down. the best music for stoners by stoners ever...not to mention that culturally and technologically their ripples will never cease...
as an audio example...THE WALL OF SOUND...they changed how
americans/people expected to hear music at a show....plus their creativity and innovation inside the studio has influenced a generation..

But why i love them best (besides their tunes) is their involvement in the electric koolaid acid tests of the sixties at the golden gate park concerts...it was a happening....and took part in experiments with LSD much like many scientists/technologists soon did...which led to the LSD dosed thinktank that came up with the modern microprocessor, which led to this forum and the ideas and people connecting ever since
....there's a book about it...um..."the doormouse said" i think is the title...i first heard this news on a documentary on a&e channel....maybe twelve or so years back.

i'm sorry to say i haven't listened to tarkus, of recent discussion. on the to do list.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Tarkus is a "MUST DO " album, after 30 years I still don't know why I am fascinated by what at first listen seems like discordant rubbish but people said that about Stravinsky too didn't they.
I think the music reflects peoples fears on a global maltdown and nuclear conflict that never eventuated perhaps thats why I still listen to it, a reminder that the world can be a scary place

tarkus

moondog
now i'm even more stoked to listen...your description reminded me of my first time seeing zappa's 100 motels in a theatre...talk about discordia!!!
that reminds me that zappa's definitely on my stoner music list.
i think the reason this kinda music will always find an audience is because art is supposed to mirror our lives and in an industrial/digital age there is nothing but noise to the point it becomes an unnoticed buzz...so it's up to artists to redirect our attention to the forces that shape our psyches and lives..

so...any deadheads around here?

jane

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: tarkus

tweetertox said:

so...any deadheads around here?

jane

Welllllllll - I did do a couple of concerts - mainly to check out "the wall of sound" PA system. Froze my rear-end off up in Reno and then the Cow Palace over in Oakland. I have about 6 albums - but I don't know if I can really be considered a "Dead Head" because I didn't own a VW van painted over with a US flag and ban the bomb stuff on it and I didn't follow the band around from gig to gig for five or six years.

John Curl shows up around here from time to time tho - :cool:

Never got the "Dead Bug" bad enough to follow them around. I believe that Phish has filled the void for Neo-Deadheads.
Rainbow people are part of that group, still taking summers off.
Here is a true test of a deadhead: If you have to ask Jerry Who? - You are NOT a Deadhead. My wife made that mistake once and got a cold incredulous stare.
I think the appeal for true Deadheads was the structure of their tunes. Long melodic jams, without dramatic or abrupt changes in tempo or volume. No weird time structures.
Mellow; because the assemblage is probably under the influence of chemical amusement aid. ( Re prior posts ).

Do the old recordings from the early 70's stand the test of time?

A friend is raving about a Genesis 70 - 75 Box Set that has been remastered. I'm old enough to remember seeing bands in the 60's/70's and well aware of the SOTA in recording then.
Even Remastered, Is spending $100 - 260 for recordings from this era for the obsessed?
I still have my vinyl from the 60's - 80's, and CD reissues.
Spoiled by how much better recording technology is, I tend to play new material for them when demoing and their frame of reference is the stuff we listened to back then.
Zappa Fan since "Freak Out!", and got to see him several times.
He recorded his material fastidiously, and you can hear the progressive improvement in recording quality as he implemented new technology.
I don't want old masters to be run through Auto-Tune, or create what wasn't there, but if original masters suffered through a bad translation, or just needs some cleanup & filtering to sound markedly better...

I guess the tunes " I Got A Line On You" and "Nature's Way" never made the International Charts. The "12 Dreams..." was a huge hit here. Also Jay Ferguson's spinoff JoJo Gunne.

I heard "King Crimson" via a BBC shortwave broadcast ( before it was released in the US ) and was instantly transformed.

Even though they are associated with the late 70's and early 80's,
the Tubes put on one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen.
They still perform and what can you say about classics like Mondo Bondage, What Do You Want From Life, and in keeping with the thread title:
"White Punks On Dope"
Syd

the grateful dead like phish

heya moondog-

love those live recordings and that's sure a classic recording... but for me the bootlegs kinda say it all, i love how tape trading created a sorta correspondence community that linked fans/friends/family...a couple i know, married for years, met trading tapes by one answering the other's add. pre internet dating i guess!
but anyway, oya- did ya know the dead wanted good quality bootlegs floating around so they'd have a section near the stage FOR the bootleggers...it's funny cause nowadays big bands are all mad at the internet for ruining royalties, but the Dead was totally encouraging of their pirates...

c2thomas- well, you're doing better than me...my parents wouldn't let me leave the country for concerts, and then i had no money, and then he died. and i got into them to late to see the last canadian show they did...i started hanging with the 'heads at 18 and at 20 he was dead. i missed my window. i always catch on to everything about a split second too late...
you mention the wall of sound. that feat of technoliciousness makes me soooo proud to be a freakflagflyer!
as to your question " can really be considered a "Dead Head"...if you have to ask i'm afraid not- but Dead Enjoyers are highly encouraged....you have not been infected but may help us transmit the virus to others...(insert twilight zone theme)

Hk2- i did get to a phish show. a weekend concert in plattsburg...uh 98 i think...i think they did four shows...100 000 dirty dready lazy crazy definitely inhaling laughing dancing hippies. nice place.

genesis is good...i never lumped it with the stoner/hippy/psychedelic scene so much myself. but it's definitely beautiful innovative music.
i am so jealous you saw zappa! i got to see dweezil this summer at on outdoor stage of the ottawa bluesfest. had to go, see zappa DNA running aroung the stage! zappa does zappa- tribute to his dad. ten minute joe's garage and this crazy song about an enema bandit stood out for me.

tube...i don't know! i'll have to check it.

later dudes!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I still listen to a lot of vinyl, and buy whenever I see good quality stuff come up at the market, thift shops, garage sales etc.
I have NEVER seen seond hand stuff from the Dead, and old acid heads still hold onto all the old pressings too, I have to wait until they die and the kids throw the records out

I still have all but one of the original Pink Floyd albums, and the missing one was "borrowed" can any-one help me with a CD of "Obscured by Clouds" ????
I still have the album cover, so the thief did not profit; it is only valuable complete.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.