OLD Stoner Rock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
barn said:
How about walking through a pine misty pine forest full of mushrooms listening to (on a walkman) pink floyd or early kate bush, alan parsons, ian hunter, early david bowie ( the "low" album was superb) or XTC.
Arrrrrrr- some fond memories of that era

How about walking through the chaotic, dusty, intense streets of India listening to (on a walkman) Peter Gabriel's "Passion". You don't even need drugs for that trip!

That era is now, man!

"I am glad to have drunk water so long, for the same reason that I prefer the natural sky to an opium-eater’s heaven... Of all ebriosity, who does not prefer to be intoxicated by the air he breathes?" - Thoreau

Ah, 5u4
Captain Beyond was a good one, playing out of the dorm rooms constantly.
Wild Man Fisher?
The Fugs, "It Crawled Into My Hand, Honest"

The Easy Rider Soundtrack...with a very strange Warren Zevon cut and the Holy Modal Rounders with the great, "Don't Bogart that Joint, My Friend"
Canned Heat, "Future Blues"
Johnny Winter's three sided album...

Attachments

• captainbeyond.jpg
    captainbeyond.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 204
Consul said:
Someone mentioned Atomic Rooster, so I feel obligated to mention Colosseum. They shared a lead singer in common.

Ah yes, Colosseum, one of my most favourite bands, though I wouldn't call it "stoner." Too sophisticated for that. Ditto for Soft Machine mentioned in this thread some time back.

LuckyLyndy mentioned the "Easy Rider" soundtrack.
How about the soundtrack to "Vanishing Point"? (I used to have it on vinyl, now long gone...)
If I remember rightly it included "Mississippi Queen" by Mountain (have they been mentioned yet?)

ok-- I can remember HAWKWIND, There was a song that I got into called "sonic attack" I think ? Can't recall the name of the album though. It,s on cassette somewhere around here. I was told that Hawkwind concerts were so loud that you could see the sound traveling through the audience.

A few more memories- playing UNO while tripping along with "jackson brown - running on empty.

Being freaked out by Pink Floyd's carefull with that axe Ugine.

Kraftwork - The man machine and Gary Newman - are friends electric, Great early electronic music, realy strange in it,s day.

Still a favorite - Supertramp - crime of the century.

And the great late Ian dury and the block heads, the song " I want to be straight"

There's heaps of new music around that is just as good but there are some great memories attached to the above stuff.

m0rb0 said:
"Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica."
Abraham Lincoln, 1855

I love this "quote", but it's almost certainly fake. For starters, Hohner didn't exist until 1857. More importantly, no one has come up with anything other than internet hearsay to back it up. Still, it makes a nice image... "Hey Ulysses, you gotta try this!"

Reid

10 pages and I'm the first to mention King Crimson? "21st Century Schizoid Man" while lit was an experience.

And I still remember catching the Eagles "Hotel California" tour at the Forum in LA, with the "warm smell of colitas... rising up through the air."

And check out "Dub Side of the Moon" - Pink Floyd in a reggae/dub style.

mightydub said:
10 pages and I'm the first to mention King Crimson? "21st Century Schizoid Man" while lit was an experience.

And I still remember catching the Eagles "Hotel California" tour at the Forum in LA, with the "warm smell of colitas... rising up through the air."

And check out "Dub Side of the Moon" - Pink Floyd in a reggae/dub style.

It was an interesting day when I knew enough spanish to know what colitas was and put 2 and 2 together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.