OLD Stoner Rock - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2008, 09:20 PM   #121
HK26147 is offline HK26147  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
and this crazy song about an enema bandit stood out for me
That would be the "Illinois Enema Bandit" ( see "Zappa in New York", 1976 ). This of course was based upon a true story.
I saw FZ perform this in Ft. Wayne about that time. It came complete with assorted stage antics ( including an enema bag ).
It was amazing to watch him conduct, as well as play.

I recommend "The Tubes - Completion Backwards Principle".
I saw them in Louisville w Todd Rundgren. Drum kit looked like a chrome Harley Davidson. Complete non-stop stage show with costume changes and backup singers dressed like French Courtesans to sing W.P.O.D. as a finale.
Old 9th December 2008, 09:57 PM   #122
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: the grateful dead like phish

Quote:
Originally posted by tweetertox
heya moondog-

love those live recordings and that's sure a classic recording... but for me the bootlegs kinda say it all, i love how tape trading created a sorta correspondence community that linked fans/friends/family...a couple i know, married for years, met trading tapes by one answering the other's add. pre internet dating i guess!
but anyway, oya- did ya know the dead wanted good quality bootlegs floating around so they'd have a section near the stage FOR the bootleggers...it's funny cause nowadays big bands are all mad at the internet for ruining royalties, but the Dead was totally encouraging of their pirates...

c2thomas- well, you're doing better than me...my parents wouldn't let me leave the country for concerts, and then i had no money, and then he died. and i got into them to late to see the last canadian show they did...i started hanging with the 'heads at 18 and at 20 he was dead. i missed my window. i always catch on to everything about a split second too late...
you mention the wall of sound. that feat of technoliciousness makes me soooo proud to be a freakflagflyer!
as to your question " can [I] really be considered a "Dead Head"...if you have to ask i'm afraid not- but Dead Enjoyers are highly encouraged....you have not been infected but may help us transmit the virus to others...(insert twilight zone theme)

Hk2- i did get to a phish show. a weekend concert in plattsburg...uh 98 i think...i think they did four shows...100 000 dirty dready lazy crazy definitely inhaling laughing dancing hippies. nice place.

genesis is good...i never lumped it with the stoner/hippy/psychedelic scene so much myself. but it's definitely beautiful innovative music.
i am so jealous you saw zappa! i got to see dweezil this summer at on outdoor stage of the ottawa bluesfest. had to go, see zappa DNA running aroung the stage! zappa does zappa- tribute to his dad. ten minute joe's garage and this crazy song about an enema bandit stood out for me.

tube...i don't know! i'll have to check it.

later dudes!
My teenage son is an old soul, has excellent taste in music and also wishes he could have seen the Dead. He recently saw the Dark Star Orchestra in concert and highly recommends them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Star_Orchestra

You mention the wall of sound, are you aware that John Curl is a member here? He's mentioned for his contributions here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead
"The Wall of Sound fulfilled the band's desire for a distortion-free sound system that could also serve as its own monitoring system. After Stanley got out of prison in late 1972, he, Dan Healy and Mark Raizene of the Grateful Dead's sound crew, in collaboration with Ron Wickersham, Rick Turner, and John Curl of Alembic combined eleven separate sound systems in an effort to deliver high-quality sound to audiences."

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Perhaps you knew or noticed this already?

I've seen the Dead about 5 or 6 times back in my college days, BTW.

Pete B.
Old 10th December 2008, 12:19 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

Default John Curl Fan

heya

moondog

i don't even have a record player right now...i'm building slowly just need a turntable now...but i still pick up vinyl that grabs me for 'one day'. oh, and you're right! heads' will hold onto their stuff like an art appreciator clutches his monet.

i'll keep an eye out for 'obscurity' for ya! four eyes are better than two!

HK2
thanks for the info! and i will definitely check the Tubes, sounds crazy!

pb2/pete

Dude that was totally news to me...the wall of sound just came up kinda randomly in connection to the topic. and then it never occurred to me i'd find anything about it here. i'm blown away. and now i'm feeling actually kinda starstruck and shy and excited to tell the ol heads i know GUESS WHAT??? (wayne and garth scream "WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!!")

so anyway...i'll check darkstar orchestra...
there used to be a band called 'jerry's kids' here in ottawa back in 'the day'...they'd do tiny shows for local fans, very simply presented, but still a lot of fun. but it'd be awesome to see their sound reproduced on a more ;professional' or technical scale...

thanks again for opening my eyes- here i thought i was dipping my toes in a man-made quarry by joining DIYaudio...and instead i find i'm looking out across the primordial ooze...

jane
Old 10th December 2008, 01:02 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

Default wall of sound

hey pete!

just did a search for mention of curl's wall of sound...nothing specific came up...perhaps, as i read in the thread you posted the link for, mr. curl is very 'secret' (ie humble) and has not liked to toot his own horn, or else he sees the past as the past, and is busy learning new tricks. if nothing else, the story and specs concerning that wall of sound, if no longer on the cutting edge, do provide a great inspiration and incentive for members here to keep working together, keep the ideas flowing, keep faith that even more influential and important work is yet to come.

the documentation on his work is already out there, so why not have that resource/information here where it'll do the kids some good? do you think it would be weird for me to start a thread stating this honoured member's achievement in that venture, and then invite other members to either expand on the material or to mention other great artistic and cultural innovators in the audio/engineering field and their accomplisments?
just a thought! lemme know what you all think.

jane
Old 10th December 2008, 01:04 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Hey Jane,
no need for insults, I'm not quite old enough to be considered "primordial"
OOZE thats a different matter, I'm proud to 'ooze'

I'm more into primitive rock; as in bashing two stones together, and I'd start with Mick and Ron!!!
!!insert laugh here!!

Esoterica **I have albums from "Redbone" but for pure "smokin" music Pink Flloyds "MEDDLE" played loud
Old 10th December 2008, 01:49 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Default no insult intended

i'm so sorry if there was any misunderstanding...i just was seeking a metaphor to explain the re-source i think this place is...and what is an inspection of the primordial ooze but a
re[turn to the ]source
...the imagination, the mind, the heart, the spirit....but now i'm getting gushy.

friends?

jane
Old 10th December 2008, 02:30 AM   #127
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Hi tweeter -

John C. had a role in the creation of the Dead's "Wall of Sound" but it was not entirely his creation. I'm not sure if they could have made it sound as good as it did without him ------ but that is a question that he could answer much better than I. I was but a mere observer of the technoinovation being presented that was created to reproduce "Da Dead" to the highest levels possible. The purpose of that high level of reproduction was because the Dead wanted their fans to be able to tune into what they were performing and enjoy it as much as they were. We did do that - hell - I'm still smiling

http://dozin.com/wallofsound/index.html
Old 10th December 2008, 02:53 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Default A brick in the wall of sound

oops-

Sorry...i meant to say i'd like to discuss John Curl's role as a collaborator, as well as the electronic end result of all that synergistic rocknroll sexiness. Of course i understand that many amazing folk were involved with creating the WALL OF SOUND. One way of accessing and understanding such a massive undertaking is to study/ discuss the way one component, one creator, one member of group, has contributed to the project. I think that's what i meant to say! sound good?

jane
Old 10th December 2008, 02:58 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Default No insult at all

Jane:
that whole post was supposed to be read as a joke.
We Aussies tend to a very dry SOH, at least the intelligent, smart good looking ones
Old 10th December 2008, 03:19 AM   #130
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Hey jane - No apologies necessary (but appreciated) - I was simply attempting to give credit where credit is due. John certainly deserves a boatload of credit (and our appreciation) for all the contributions he has made to the audio world - along with some other great contributors to diyAudio. Man - when I think about the people that toss in here I get a little awe struck. For a technogeek such as myself this place is heaven! The frosting on the cake is that most of us here are using technology as a tool with which to access the work that performers have recorded - and we want to squeeze every bit or what went into that performance out of our "systems" and into our body - spirit - and soul. The artist get to have fun making it - we get to have fun playing it. Funfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfun!!!!!!!

"One way of accessing and understanding such a massive undertaking is to study/ discuss the way one component, one creator, one member of group, has contributed to the project." Yep! Recognize!! Once upon a time in another life I got paid to facilitate and build teams and improve processes. A gig I enjoyed so much that I wondered when they were going to ask me to pay them for having all that fun. Different people - minds - spirits - getting to rumba together - coooooooooool!

Hide this!Advertise here!