The metal thread!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well i browse this music forum from time to time, and there seems to be very little people talking about metal! so ive decided to start this thread, where we metalheads can congregate, say what were currently listening to most, and reccomend bands for other people.

i dont know if this will work but i feel ill give it a try, so ill start you off

ive currently been listening to alot of amon amarth, theyre a viking metal band from sweden, some songs you guys should check out are "death in fire" or "pursuit of vikings". Also been listening to alot of early in flames stuff, particularly the song december flower off jesters race, as a guitar player you GOTTA love that solo. also kind of cursious to get more into black metal, the only black metal i lsiten to these days is dimmu borgir, old mans child(very similar to dimmu in some respects) and behemoth.

so yeah talk away

and for you "older" children, bathory, WASP, mayhem, ministry and metallica, all that stuff is considered metal too, this thread is VERY broad(ill even permit nu-metal)

also for peoepl who reccomend bands, remember, www.pandora.com is your friend! very easy and fast way of checking out a band.

In black metal South American and Eastern Europe bands rule: Alastor - Sanguinary Embryo, Tymah, Trollech, Stiný Plamenú, Tvangeste, Vokodlok, Negura Bunget, Bestia. Of course I like Scandinavian metal but lately I have found the material from bands outside the northern europe more inspiring. "Viking metal" - it´s good. I like Amon Amarth as well but also I like very much of "pagan" metal like Moonsorrow, Finntroll, Skyforger, Korpiklaani or similar. Then there´s bands like Arckanum, Nargaroth, Funeris Nocturnum, Impaled Nazarene, Anaal Nathrakh, Bestial Mockery, Bal-Sagoth, Ulver, Alghazanth, Epoch of Unlight, Darkthrone, Immortal, Horna, Emperor, Satyricon, Setherial, Thyrane, Catamenia and a too numerous group of other great bands to mention here.

it all counts! if its metal its good, although alice cooper is more hard rock...IMO...its more metal than korn is.

also i saw fintroll live when they were still with wilska as their singer, pretty ******* sweet, the crowd was so into it.

also the old bathory viking stuff is pretty sweet. they have the "one rode to asa bay" music video on youtube:bigeyes: its literally just Quorthon and his friends with a video camera hahaha.

also, as long as you feel that its "metal" than its good, i jstu dont want people coming in here and talking abotu evanescence or linkin park.

also just as a side note, i forgotto metnion that ive been listening to alot of Death recently(although i prefer their newer more melodic stuff), the double bass in that stuff is INSANE fast.

interesting

Ok, I got to admit it; I love the metal but I really don't recognize any of the bands you mention and "black" metal? what the heck is that.

Favorite metal over time for me was as follows: Aerosmith-->Van Halen-->Iron Maiden-->Metallica-->Rage Against The Machine--> Tool --> Disturbed--->System of a Down

Also gotta say I've spent lifetimes in the '80s with that breed of metal and hair metal; spinning black vinyl- Ratt, Judas Priest, Dokken, Skid Row, BOC, AC/DC, etc.... sad sad sad but fun at the time.

I like some complicated stuff like Cynic on "Focus" LP and "portal demo". It was great band.
Also the norvegian wave was very spiritual and deep music to me. Immortal, Emperor, Satyricon they were my favourite band when I grew up. Now this music seems dead, as whole metal, no progress, no mutiny, no spirit, just old patterns on and on.

Julian Cope's heavy moments get very heavy indeed. If you want some different groups, check out his website: www.headheritage.co.uk -lots of reviews, by him and the community, and usually something woth listening to on his steaming audio album of the month. Good selection of unusual stuff available via the site store too.

Favourite metal artist is Bruce Dickinson: I prefer his solo stuff over Maiden. But I still love them too.

wow i never knew there was such a big metal following over here!

ive heard of nevermore numerous times(the guitarist uses a 15" active subwoofer in his rig i believe hahaha)

to someone who asked what black metal is...its usually leaning more to the pagan/satanic side. alot of it is worth listening to, check out Burzum, ive been listening to them alot recently.

any of you guys listen to power metal at all? i might get my @ss kicked for saying this but....

edguy>maiden

but yeah im also a huge power metal fan(which i havnt mentioned yet) blind guardian, dragonforce, hammerfall:smash: but mainly guardian.

and guardian is coming to toronto next year apparantly!

now i just gotta hope that my BIBs will have enough kick to get that double bass drum done with authority.

Metal heads are some of the most dedicated fans on the planet. But it will be very hard for an outsider to access this thread. Speed metal? Trash metal? Death metal? I lean toward trash. Not all that surprising since I was into hardcore/punk in the late 1970s-mid '80s. Dead Kennedys, MDC, Minor Threat, Discharge, Crass.

I don't like the high-pitch Dio wannabes. I'm an Ozzy kind of guy. Early Sabbath is still hardcore.

to someone who asked what black metal is...
Thats the guys who look like penguins. ;)

I saw them last week at sweden rock festival. Sammet burned his behind on a spotlight, or at least he jumped up between two sentences and said that he did. Later he hanged a hat in the vicinity of his private parts and asked if we wanted to see his banana. He showed it.... And he has stuck a banana in his pants so nothing obcene.

Ted nuget was there too :D

wow thats cool that FINALLY someone else has heard of edguy, theyre pretty big, but for some reason no one knows them. did they do babylon or arrows fly? i love both those songs.

and black metal people dont ALL look like penguins

if you wanna see waht they lok like, google "Dimmu Borgir"

and of course no metal thread is complete without some mention of alexi liaho and or children of bodom. As a guitar player i LOVE that stuff, although plenty of my friends who dont play love it too. I dont care how big they get, are you dead yet was (though it catered more to north americans) a good album, just like all of their other ones.

also just as a side note i just went to home depot and got my MDF for my fe166e BIBs cut! so soon i will be listening to blind guardian on a rocking pair of speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.