The metal thread!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
back from a weekend of solitude at the farm.

im really digging amon right now, i love that melodic sound, and the drummer is AWESOME!

also iced earth is ******* sweet, i listened to an album on the car ride back from the farm. PUURRE EEVVIILLL!!!!

ive also been listening to alot of immortal recently, and SOME emporer.

I have been looking up the music that everyone hear has suggested. A lot of people seem to like Blind Guardian. Me too. Everything from there metal music to there tales of The Lord of the Rings.

Here is what I have in my collection:

Avenged Sevenfold
Megadeath
Metallica
Motorhead
Pantera
Slayer
System of a Down
Rage Against the Machine

you seem to like thrashy stuff, check out anthrax!im not a fan but you shoudl check em out.

if you like guardian, check out symphony x, dragonforce, hammerfall and iced earth.

also another head up for a troll/goblin metal band, you guys should check out wintersun, im a big fintroll fan, and wintersun is pretty damn good!

Anthrax is pretty good. I haven't picked any of there albums up yet.

Has anybody read Ian Christies Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal?

Its a good book. I read it in a week because I couldn't put it down. It looks at the history throught the different types of metal and has an "Ultimate" list of cds for each different type.

mmm...meetaal.

Who do I like the most? My absolute fave is Therion! :D

I notice there isn't much mention of any gothic genre bands except for Nightwish. (who I think will do just fine, Tarja was sometimes overly classical for my taste if that makes sense). Other "gothic" bands are Within Temptation, Edenbridge, Theatre of Tragedy, Charon , Beseech..etc

It's hard to say what is best, since of course everyone has a different preference. Some of my choices besides the above mentioned bands would be Rammstein, Emperor, CoB, Amorphis, Sentenced, Gamma Ray, plus a whole load of new bands I just discovered.

So Mr.davidallancole, how many hrs away from Saskatoon are ya? ;)

testament and supultura are pretty good, eveyone anda while i get testament moods.

anyone listen to kalmah? also im looking for more viking metal, or anything that has that kind of melodic, low tuned, growly amarth type sound.

anyone listen to Death? i was listening to them on the walk to summerschool, very good stuff, lightning fast double bass too. I reccomend the album "symbolic" more specifically the song 1000 eyes

and not al of us are soo lucky to live in sweden, you must be getting a bit tired of that gothenburg death metal sound.

I can live with it :)
I do however listen to a lot of other stuff to. But some of my friends just love SOAD so I have tried to give them a chanse, or several, but can't seem to get a feel for them.

Well, the taste in music differs.

Craig405 said:
Suprised to hear noone has mentioned Pantera, great headbanging music... PLUS their recordings have excellent bass ;) Dime was a shredding legend its really sad what happened to him....
Although early Pantera is totally laughable, check it out pre 1987 i think.

edit
My mistake digital junkie did mention them :)

Craig

Heh,yea,the early stuff is..well,I can't even stand to listen to it for more than about 30 seconds.
The newer stuff is pretty rocking though.. And the "classics" like,'Walk','This Love','F****** Hostile',and my Fav. 'Planet Caravan' (yea,I like Pantera's version the best,not really a head-bangin tune though.)..then there's "10's" "13 steps" "5 minutes alone" etc.

Metallica like 'Last Caress/Green Hell','Am I Evil'...sheesh,I like almost all of Metallica's music. (Listening to 'Devils Dance' right now.)

Apocalyptica is cool.. Metallica and stuff on Cellos and Violas and whatnot.. Interesting,if nothing else.

I wasn't a very big fan of SOAD untill recently..for some reason I really like alot of thier newer stuff..It can seem kind of repetitive and whiney at times,but it's fun to crank up while flying down the freeway. :clown:

An album I like is Alien by Strapping Young Lad. I haven't heard their earlier stuff. But this is pretty good, especially if you like insanely fast pedalling. My only complaint is that there are a few melodies crammed in there. But thankfully not to an extent they get in the way of the music. There's also a track that sounds like a Pink Floyd The Wall reject. It's the mandatory we-can-play-farty-old-music-as-well-as-anybody-else-if-we-want-to track, I guess. God, how I hate ballads. Haven't heard one that wasn't the single worst song in the history of the universe.

While not exactly metal, bands more up my alley are Lard, Ministry and Big Black, all defunct or in the process of being. Has Motorhead--the granddaddy of everything great--been mentioned? Did I? They deserve two mentions anyway.

Rammstein is at least million times better than 99 pct of what's played on MTV. While not favourites of mine, they don't make me hate mankind like those other 99 pct do.

"70s Rock Must Die"

No way!! Rammstein is the worst load of **** I have ever heard!

Now that I listened to more of their tunes, maybe.

"70s Rock Must Die"

:bigeyes: Now I know why you can't find any good CDs to play on your Playstation:

70s rock was
1- Not sh*t like almost everything you can find today. (Samples, samples and samples oh, and I think I forgot to say samples)
2- A lot were very well recorded.

ahhh, the joy of discussing music..:D

Rammstein for example, I don't really like their first couple of albums but the last three I do. I think a lot gets missed if you don't speak the language (I'm german myself). There is a lot of dark humor in the lyrics. I def think they're one of those love'em or hate'em bands.

For anyone who's looking for more bands: back before the day of interwebbing, I got discovered of my new bands by buying compilation cd's, buying discs based on reading reviews often backfired. Now I always try to download songs to see if I like them before I go out and buy the cd.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.