Finding a classical record

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Does anyone have (or could get, or any adress) a record of the "Sonatas and partitas for solo violin" of Bach? I don't care about the player, not CD, but LP.
Another Lp I'm looking for is the "12 fantasies for solo violin" of Telemann.

Thanks guys, I'm dying to get this records...

Raka,

you have to care about the player, trust me.

try www.saturnrecords.com
At the moment they have it from Milstein ($20) which is not bad at all (but i definitely prefer the Szeryng below) and Shumsky ($75) which i do not know, but what i know from Shumsky, this could be really something.

You could try the Russian Gidon Kremer performance on Melodya or Melodya/Eurodisc.

Should you find the Henryk Szeryng performance on Deutsche Grammophon there or somewhere else, shoot 1st, ask then. reads: don't dicker, grab it.
For mouthwatering, this recording has been re-issued on CD:
Deutsche Grammophon 453004-2.
My preference for that recording is so strong that i prefer this one on CD to any other i know on vinyl. Maybe with exception of the fancy Johanna Martzy recording on British Columbia but this is a rare and really unaffordable exception.

dice45 said:
Raka,
My preference for that recording is so strong that i prefer this one on CD to any other i know on vinyl. Maybe with exception of the fancy Johanna Martzy recording on British Columbia but this is a rare and really unaffordable exception.

I found some recordings with Martzy (whom I had never heard of
before, I must confess) when I searched Tower records for
Raka. On CD, though.

All,
to give an imagination,
Johanna Martzy on the voilin partitas & sontatas is very similar to Pablo Casals on the 'cello. A very romantic approach.

So yo ask, how is the Szeryng performance? I don't l know any cellist playing like that, he has a 100% classic approach, he keeps the huge bows and big phrases fully intact in their entirety; phrases are vibrating and totally coherent which becomes particularly apparent on the majestic Ciaconna and the breathtaking but sometimes disharmonic Fuga Alla Breve.

My favourite cellist for Bach ... well i have two: Pablo Casals and Anner Bylsma. Bylsma does it different to Casals/Martzy and different to Szeryng. the Cello Suites are --atleast formally seen -- dance music.
Bylsma plays the music in a way one can dance to it, always. He has the same vibrant coherence as Szeryng.

I happen to have one of Gidon Kremer performing these, on Philips (6769 053). I think it's great. I'm not familiar with other performances like Bernhard is though. So it's interesting to hear his observances.

I picked it up in a used record shop for about something <$10. Like new. Sorry, Raka, I ain't giving it up!

Sometimes the used shops that basically cater to rock fans have a little goldmine of other things (classical, real folk, bluegrass, jazz) in nice condition, and you may find that there isn't much competition for them.

quote from a Baron and friend of mine

Baron Empain once quoted in the late '70...
3 things you need in life

a loyal wife, some Veuve Cliquot Champagne and all this while listening to "the violin conerto " from Beethoven preferably by Perlman...
and if you absolutely want a castle to be in while having all three of the above....

boy was he right!

J-P
almost weekly listening to the above, from many different recordings.

Yes, this concerto has some magic. It's just scales and arpeggios technically, but has some moments that I feel like that Ludwig is telling me: be a good guy.
Perlman?!
Hey, boy you should listen to Oistrack. What? Too perfect? Maybe, but after him all the others seem to over-act.

And the fourth thing is the cat.

No jokes about the fifht element are now allowed.:clown:

Raka said:
Yes, this concerto has some magic. It's just scales and arpeggios technically, but has some moments that I feel like that Ludwig is telling me: be a good guy.
Perlman?!
Hey, boy you should listen to Oistrack. What? Too perfect? Maybe, but after him all the others seem to over-act.

And the fourth thing is the cat.

No jokes about the fifht element are now allowed.:clown:

Both Perlman and Oistrach are good. Many years ago a friend
and I compared Perlman/Giulini with Oistrach/Cluytens. As I
remember the conclusion was that we wished there was
a recording with Perlman and Cluytens. :) However, that was
long ago and since then we have found our desert-island version
of this work: Ginette Neveu with Hans Rosbaud conducting
the SWF orchestra. Unfortunately, she died at the age of 30
shortly after doing this recording. Actually, my memory tells me
she might have done yet a recording of this work, but I am not
sure of this. BTW, the Music&Arts issue of the recording also
includes her magic recordings of Chaussons poéme and Ravels
Tzigane with Charles Munch and NY philharmonic (?).

another performer

Playing right now is that very same concerto but
played by Uto Ughi, the London Symphonic Orchestra and conductor Wolfgang Sawallisch...

very very nice recorded in Kingsway Hall in London in 1981.

like the remark made before, this piece of art is for me considered as nec plus ultra.

it is such a perfect mix of tone , I get mesmerized time and time again...

I know there are many pieces that one will think of : this the best etc., etc... for me however I consider it the best concerto.

Another piece that is truly amazing is the Symfonic Intermezzo from Cavaleria rusticana, yes an opera in one act had to have some time for people to go to the bathroom. therefor Mascagni
wrote this short piece... (suposedly to change the decorum)
Is this the End or what ? a piece that needs a gigantique organ to be combined with the orchestra that from paysant Sicile moves to heavenly hights.

I had this piece played in church on my dad's funeral in 1992, Nothing was more apropriate!

J-P

Yes, it is

Cavalleria Rusticana is a great piece of art. I know it. I played it as second violin. Aestethically (is this correct?) is very romantic, but in the inside there is some modern points.

I think I have this ughi recording, I will have to check. Anyway, about Uto: He is very musical, but now is not in shape i think. I saw him in a TV show playing the Beethoven, and he was many times out of perfect pitch. Besides, his bow moves too much...

Re: Yes, it is

Raka said:
Cavalleria Rusticana is a great piece of art. I know it. I played it as second violin. Aestethically (is this correct?) is very romantic, but in the inside there is some modern points.

I cannot withold you from the real Mascagni, one you will not find on Mascagni.org or any other bigraphy for that matter, only through records of my grandfather, having met him in South America under dubious circumstances ....

Mascagni worked as a very very poor music copier at a music publishing compmay. He lived above the place he worked and his boss/owner of the company lived next doors.
One day his boss organized a contest for an easy opera in one act based on sicilian paysants. The first and only prize would be 6 gold coins.

Mascagnie asked for paper, pen and ink so he could join. His boss lend him the items.
The evening before the deadline, Mascagni had only managed to write 7 notes on a sheet , a little man came up to the attic where Mascagni lived and asked if he could help Pietro.
Pietro let him in, and the little man started dictating the notes of the now ever famous Cavaleria Rusticana.
Pietro asked if he had to pay him, after all he had no money at all. The little guy, slowly changed his looks and answered: only with your soul my friend, only with your soul. Turned out that it was the devil in person!
The rest is history .... or maybe not:
Mascagni, who won the contest, had to give his boss 1 coin for
the paper, ink and pen.
Another man who ended second threatened Mascagni to death, as he believed that Mascagni had been favored by his own boss, the same who organised the contest. So Mascagni gave him the balance : 5 coins.
Did he sell his soul? hummm.... I will leave that up to you dear reader, he never wrote anything like that again, L'amico Fritz is hardly something comparable.... and certainly not a masterpiece.
Mascagni died together with the rest of worl's evil Mussolini, Hitler .......... in 1945

Jean-Pierre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.