big band jazz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, very vague questions here, ive started to really appreciate some big band jazz.
I got a couple off records from my nans house when she died,
nothing great
sort of best of glen miller and joe loss plays the big band greats.
Not really paid much attention to this kind of thing before, more of a 70's rock man usually.

I need some recomendations for what to look for now, as i know nothing about this type of music.
Who was good? What labels to buy for quality recordings?
I cant play 78's.

I also remember when i was a kid, liking what i was told was 20's dinner jazz, any recomendations for this?

Dont really want to randomly buy stuff to see if i like it or not, so some recomendations of the better artists, or styles or whatever would help.
Thanx.

Just for musical merit, a short list of some of my favorites:

Toshiko Akiyoshi Big Band- very state-of-the-art arrangements and playing. She's a first rate pianist and her band really swings. Husband Lew Tabackin leads the charge.

Count Basie- Just classic, tasteful jazz from a real pioneer. His Pablo recordings (late in life) sound quite excellent.

Duke Ellington- Perfection. One of the great composers of the 20th century. Listen and find out why.

Sun Ra and his Arkestra- Duke Ellington on acid. Difficult, difficult music, very complex and sometimes atonal. Seeing them live was one of the great experiences of my youth.

Buddy Rich- Nothing innovative, but great energy.

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis- Straight-ahead stuff, superbly played.

Dizzy Gillespie- I've about worn out his big band recordings. Terrible sound (mostly late 1940s), but this is bop as it was meant to be, frantic, energetic, creative, precise.

Charlie Mingus- Sui generis. Very creative, but at the same time, very accessible.

so my moniker says it all
try jaco pastorius' birthday concert live, word of mouth (studio album) or twins live in japan -- many tracks similar admittedly but features stellar contemporary players such as bob mintzer, brecker brothers, drummer peter erskine and florida big band leader peter graves. plus jaco at probably his peak. not true big band probably fusion big band for want of better description but all are well recorded with dynamic playing.
cheers

I was given a stash of big band LPs several years ago. I'd never been into the music much, but never had an active dislike for it. I learned most of my records were of the 'West Coast' persuasion. Not off-putting as stuff like Doc Severinson's NBC Orchestra was what I was most familiar with (along with the Count and the Duke, etc.).
So a few of the artists/albums I found particularly interesting:
Miles Davis Miles Ahead -- You don't usually hear Miles playing flugelhorn, or working with a big band, but here it is. Part of the Davis/Gil Evans collaboration catalog to boot.
Gerald Wilson Orchestra -- A creative writer/arranger. I think this is good stuff for someone who thinks they "like jazz but dislike big band."
Bill Berry's LA Big Band - Hello Rev -- The energetic playing on this live set makes it difficult to not enjoy.
Woody Herman -- A big band icon. He always had super-talented players behind him.
Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass -- The preeminent big band from Canada.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Big Band - Reference Recordings
King James Version - Harry James - Sheffield Records (plus 2 others)
Hamp's Big Band - Lionel Hampton - Audio Fidelity
Big Band Jazz - Humber College Ensemble - Umbrella (volumes 1&2)
All of what SY said plus some Benny Goodman stuff.

Attachments

• YFNBB.jpg
    YFNBB.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Harry James.jpg
    Harry James.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Hamp's.jpg
    Hamp's.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 67
  • BBJ.jpg
    BBJ.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 70
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.