Professional EQs in Home Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I have recently bought a Rane SEQ30L eq for DJing purposes. But I must say, that when I tried to use with my home stereo (I have DIY speakers and 2x300w @ 8ohm monoblock amps. A russian brand KIT, but sounds good!) I was amazed of the power of that EQ! The best result I had, was with Iron Maiden Rock In Rio CD (live). If I leave the signal untouched and hear the music at HIGH volume, then all I hear is the screaming of fans and the three sologuitars mumbling somewhere. The solo-singer (Bruce Dickinson) was like a backvocal. Plus, the sound was really a pain - screech. In other words - chaos! But when I adjusted some of the 30 EQs sliders, I received a clear sound, I could hear every guitar, the crowd was there but was not so annoying and the solist was actually a SOLIST! Smile I wanted to say, that you can achieve a good sound with a simple thing we all know. And that thing is called EQ. Any comments?

That entirely depends on what do you like or what do you want to hear, but I can surely say one thing: cut the 2000-2500 Hz range a bit! It will remove the screech and the music wont be a chaos. I am talking about Rock in Rio album, but my expierience shows, that cutting the 2-2,5k Hz range usually removes the screech and chaos in most rock music. Like the 30-60 Hz bass or not, it is your choise to boost it or not. In RiR album to emphasize Bruce's voice, boost the 1-1,25 kHz, but just a little. Boosting 16kHz will not make your ears bleed, no way! I use it, to emphasize the cymbals. Boosting 600-800 Hz range is dangerous to speakers, at least mine.. :( You can easly blow out your midrange. Actually it is hard to write it all down. I will make a photo of my EQ and my system. Just have to get my new digital camera. :)

Just my 2 cents worth but, I have never used an EQ except to cut. Usually at the 125-250 range, about 1 db down to take the boomyness out of male vocals. I try my best not to insert anything that differs from the original signal.

I got that attitude decades ago reading how when they built the sound system at the Astro Dome by placing carefully caculated RC networks in the system to eliminate feedback until they could achieve the required SPL with mininum decredation of the signal.

Dang!!!! That was a long time ago!!!

davidlzimmer said:
Just my 2 cents worth but, I have never used an EQ except to cut. Usually at the 125-250 range, about 1 db down to take the boomyness out of male vocals. I try my best not to insert anything that differs from the original signal.

I got that attitude decades ago reading how when they built the sound system at the Astro Dome by placing carefully caculated RC networks in the system to eliminate feedback until they could achieve the required SPL with mininum decredation of the signal.

Dang!!!! That was a long time ago!!!

The original signal is adjusted in a studio where the sound engineers tune the signal so it sounds best on most stereo systems. The average customer's stereo system to be exact. But for example my stereo system differs from yours, the John next door has different too and so on. With the EQ you simply adjust the signal to your sound system. And you also tune the EQ to please your ears.

Maybe it's just me but, I listen to CD after CD and am very pleased with a flat signal. I have no tone controls or EQ. That's not to say that I wouldn't make some changes in the recording. If I don't like the sound, I just don't listen to it.

Not trying to br argumentive. Just exchanging veiw points.

Personally, I listen to a lot of rock music, and I usually introduce a small cut in the midrange and a slight boost in the upper ranges. However, I only do this to rock music. When I listen to other types of music, I either use a different EQ settings or I turn off the EQ all together.

Edit: I'm using only the basic EQ function from my Sound Blaster Live! USB sound card.... so in reality... I reduce all other frequencies to introduce the "boost" in the higher treble.

I use Rane SEQ 30L and I am very pleased. With 30 bands you can really adjust the signal very precisely and the quality is awesome even when I boost. I believe it is because the EQ is an analogue one and also made from rather good parts.

Speaking of sound tuning, if you ever want to increase the sound of drums, boosting 160Hz will mostly do the trick, killing 2kHz will remove the screeching sound (in rock music). If you ever feel that you have lost some emotion in music because of killing 2kHz, try to boost 3kHz and/or 1,6kHz a little bit. Works for at least my ears. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.