Jazz and Funk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, i just joined this board and though maybe you all could help me find some new listening music. I really enjoy the whold funk jazz sound. something with drums, electric guitar, electric bass, keyboard, and some brass. Does anyone know of any bands that would fit this criteria? If so i would appreciate it. As of now the only one i know that comes close are Soulive and Bela Fleck(kind of).
thanks for the help

Steve

Funk / Jazz / something

Welcome to our community Marmaduke!

You'll like it here.....

Now with the music, let's see if I know anything that could fit.....

Do you know Breakestra? Californian band, they cover old funk stuff. THey're on a label called stones throw www.stonesthrow.com .
Check out the site, they also have a sampler called "the funky 16 corners". It's a compilation of rare old funk tunes from the 70ies.

hope you like it.

cheers,

bob

I forgot to mention that the guys who put the "The funky 16 corners" compilation together tracked down the former funk musicians involved in the recordings and asked them to dig out the old tapes. They restored the tapes when necessary and re- mixed and mastered the tracks. THe whole story is somewhere on the site I posted the link to, I think.....

greets,

bob

dear lord, dear lord

you MUST get the new(er) Charlie Hunter album "Songs from the analog playground"

Charlie Hunter ( for those who dont know) is a guitar/bass prodigy...a virtuoso... He's in his late 20's/early 30's and can play bass and guitar simultaneously better than most jazz musicians can play either instrument alone. He's on Blue Note Records, website is http://www.charliehunter.com

He's got a custom made 8 string guitar .. 5 guitar strings/3 bass strings, each with their own pickup system and run into its own processors/amps. He's really into Jimmy Smith, and thus into the Hammond B3/leslie sound, so he runs his guitar line through a hammond/leslie synth. The whole effect is a really funky bass/organ sound. He tours with a drummer and typically 2 horn players.

Being a generation X'er, he's also big into taking alternative rock music and remixing it into a jazz style. If you have peer to peer downloading capabilities, go get his "smells like teen spirit/come as you are" nirvana cover, done in 5/4 time. Spectacular.

Also, there's an MP3 out there of him playing "no woman no cry" entirely by himself that sounds great.

Anyways, "songs from the analog playground" is an audiophile's dream...really great auxilliary percussion stuff that you can really point to in the stereo image.

-maz

if you're a funk fan and you dont own any Maceo Parker then get out of this forum...i would suggest you pick up life on planet groove...its a live lp with my favorite all time funk sax solo...you will literally want to get up and cheer with the audience...my favorite funk album by far...medeski, martin, and wood is another really cool group...theyre a little more jazz than funk...a lot of b3 organ inspired funky jazz...one of the lp's by greyboy allstar's has a phish almost inspired funky jazz but is still more funk than anything...these are just a few to get you started...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.