Sounds like you are there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for some tracks to intertain myself. I particularly enjoy tracks that make you feel like the band is in the room.

Basically, tracks where the engineer just let it happen.

The best examples I have found yet are Nora Jones "The Prettiest Thing", any OLD Brubeck, and beleive it or not, Johnny Cash "Hurt".

You can put these tracks on at a volume that makes the vocals sound natural and you start seeing faces.

Anyone have material to suggest?

PS. I love Rock but, you just can't put a rock band in a living room.
Well, not since I stopped playing :)

the whole johnny cash american recordings series, from which his cover of hurt comes, fits the bill. you can also try ani difranco's albums "not a pretty girl" and "dilate". i also like miles davis "sketches of spain". i haven't heard many albums that were produced like that track by track: either the whole thing is live or close mic'd or none of it is.

is classical allowed on your list?

Thanks B-Square and Wombat.

I think the Tom Watts is the type of track I'm looking for. Like some of the Nora Jones sets. It sounds as if you are leaning over the piano and she is whispering a song just for you.

THAT could make a guy's day!

I'll try to find some MP3s or a CD.

Thanks!

Keepem comming folks!

I hope you won´t be dissapointed by Alice cause it is darker coloured in sound like lets say Norah Jones "Come Away With Me"
If you like Tom Waits Alice i´d suggest Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis.
He also sits in front of his piano sounding like 20 years of heroine and for sure relaxed :) The recording itself isn´t that great but the atmosphere it spreads is unique! Like imaging silence with music.
I love it!!

I totally agree with the Miles Davis 'Spain' recording - any of his live recordings do the job for me (Funny Valentine, his stuff with Milt Jackson, etc.) .

Another favorite: a Charlie Byrd 'Direct to Disc' recording that sounds so real you can touch it - recorded on Crystal Clear Records Label on white Vinyl. CRAZY flute and guitar work on this one.

Here's one out of left field: Mad Season - it was a Alice in Chains side project back in the 90's - very jazzy, very minimalist recording. I know what your saying - ALICE IN CHAINS??? TRUST me . . . it's gooooood :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
A little off topic, but a superb example of something similar is Suzanne Vega. I have seen her live many times, yet wether it was in a crowd of 50 000 at a German Rock festival, or in a tiny marquee with 200 people, and every time I knew she was singing just for me. Magic.

Did I win?

She is the daughter of renowned Indian sitar player Ravi Shankar and American Sue Jones.
Norah Jones was born in New York but raised by her mother near Dallas, Texas... She rarely speaks about Shankar in public; according to a 2002 article in The Guardian, "She saw her father a few times a year until she was nine, and then not until she was 18"... Ravi Shankar was a favorite colleague of The Beatles, in particular of George Harrison.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.