low bass CD suggestions ( <20Hz)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are two CDs with movie soundtracks conducted by Erich Kunzel (also Telarc) that contain several sequences going down to 5 Hz. One one of them is the start of a space shuttle used as intermission. Now THAT is a broadband signal !
The name of one of those CDs is "The big picture" the other one I'd have to check first.
And there are also some test CD's by the Swiss Highend Society. One piece that goes down to 16 Hz is the following:
http://www.swisshighend.ch/AudioFiles/Impressions/track13.mp3

BTW: If your system is going below 20 Hz you do not necessarily have to feed it such extreme program material in order to enjoy it. Stuff like Eric Clapton's "unplugged" greatly profits form systems that are going really low even though there is no "real" content down there.

Regards

Charles

Grace Jones Slave to the Rythm has a track with a sub sonic note in a couple of spots. not sure if its really supposed to be there as is down around 5 hz. MOST cd players will not even reproduce it. but a few will.

I discovered this purley by accident many years ago. I had just purchased a JBL B460 Subwoofer. a BIG 18" sub in a 8cu/ft cabinet. I was using 1200watt bridged mono amp to run the sub and i had just got everything hooked up and played my favorite track off the cd. a everything was working ok so i turned up the volume and just as i did. the WHOLE FLOOR in my apartment felt as if it was moving up and down. i looked over and the cone and it was moving huge amounts of air but i couldnt hear anything, i looked over at the amp and the meters are pegged! and just as i reached for the volume control to turn it down. it went away! scared the bejezus out of me!

So im checking all my connections and everything is working and seems ok so i grab the volume control again. everythiong still working fine and then BBRBRBRBRBBRBRBBRBBR it happens again. so this time i turn down the volume and rewind the track a bit and sure enough in two spots there is something there. really really low.

I sold that sub long ago but but even with my Hales Revelation 3's i can hear or maybe i should say feel it in the same spots. but at a MUCH lower level.

Zero Cool, Yes I do have Grace and I the CD does have some impressive low end..makes for a great demo.

Valvewizard, I will give Jim Brock- tropic affair a try!

Charles, The Telarc Star Tracks CD (has the same track as the one you're referring to )does have some very low frequency content but some of it sounds like a kid created it on his PC...I much more enjoy the tracks with "natural" bass but that CD is still a good demo. I'll see if I can find the Swiss over here.

lndm, I love the Toccata and Fugue Telarc...I could bounce my remote controls off my coffee table with that track. Most mid to high end CD players are capable of producing output down to 5Hz. I used a spectrum analyzer to confirm this...Telarc 1812: significant output down at 8Hz. Of course that's to be expected because those cannon shots are probably about as close to a "perfect" impulse response as one can naturally record (not including digitially created)!

I can generate low frequencies

I have a keyboard at home and I can record low tones for you. When I select a blues organ and play the lowest note all I can see is that my subwoofer's speakers are just moving (very rapidly - huge excursion!) but I can barely hear a sound. I actually just feel it... I don't know if you will ever find a natural sound under 20 Hz, not from a music instrument. You'll only find unnatural sound from a digital source, like keyboard.

Some recordings made in the Kingsway hall in London have some extremely low notes generated by the Tube trains operating 50' underground. Quite a few DECCA's I have include this feature.

Q: How low does CD go though ? I thought it didn't go lower than 20Hz or higher than 20Khz

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The CD standard permits bandwith down to DC.

On CD players often have HP filter implemented to eliminate risk of putting constant DC to amplifier.
Look at spec on CD player, they often have bandwith down to 5-10Hz. Lower cutoff also depends on input imput impedance of aftercoming amplifier.
Some CD players have DC connected stages but instead have DC servo that need some kind of cutoff freq to be able to center output to DC in resonable time. Of course it is possible to have much lower cutoff with less cap value this way.

It is also possible to make stages DC connected without DC servo and have true respose down to DC but there is probably need for manual DC trim if not tolererating some constant small DC on output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.