Covers that are arguably better than the originals:

peranders said:
Has anyone heard Nico's version of David Bowie's "Heroes"?

Nico? German photo model who sang in the Velvet Underground 1966-67 (?) Is she alive these days (drugs...)?

Anyway Heroes with Nico is so good, in fact the whole album (name?) is good.

We lost Nico. She didn't make it. I can't remember at the moment, it may have been dope,... it's all the same isn't it ?

Why do so many of the best of us think that we are not worth anything at all?

That's a serious question.

Faith no More's cover of "I started a joke" came out surprisingly good, and i think it's way better than the original by the Bee Gees. But my favourite cover as today is stiil Hendrix's "All along the watchtower"... the man truly made that song his own.

BTW, check Sarah Maclahan's cover of Beatle's "Blackbird"... thats a great track.

stevie ray vaughan covered little wing .. i like it better than hendrix's version

hendrix covered all along the watchtower .. so good, in fact, that even dylan liked it .. he was quoted as saying after he heard the hendrix version he steered towards playing it like that, although i don't know how credible that is

plenty other covers .. a good number of old classic rock songs are covers of older blues songs

OT

Reddy KW said:

Why do so many of the best of us think that we are not worth anything at all?

That's a serious question.

probably partly because the best of us are often surrounded by people who are eager to see them fall.

could be envy,

schadenfreude,

or their own insecurity.

after all, misery loves company.

but...maybe she just had messed-up brain chemistry, or her parents didn't instill her with secure self-esteem. who knows.

/andrew - likes the original 'sweet jane' better than the junkies' version

some good ones:

"Like A Hurricane" Roxy Music (N. Young)
"Room Full Of Mirrors" The Pretenders (Hendrix)
"Cars" The Judybats (G. Numan)
"Ain't That A Shame" Cheap Trick (F. Domino)
"Alone Again Or" The Damned (Love)
"Demolition Man" Grace Jones (Police)
"Toys In The Attic" R.E.M. (Aerosmith)
"Man Who Sold The World" Nirvana (D. Bowie)
"Nobody 'Cept You" Sixteen Horsepower (B. Dylan)
"I Saw The Light" The The (Hank Sr.)
"Gimme, Gimme, Gimme..." The Leather Nun (Abba)
"You Really Got Me" Van Halen (Kinks)
"House Of The Rising Sun" Sinead O'Connor (Animals)
"Dancing Barefoot" Xymox (P. Smith)
"The Metro" System Of A Down (Berlin)
"20th Century Boy" Placebo (T Rex)
"People Are Strange" Echo And The Bunnymen (Doors)
"The End" Days Of The New (Doors)

My 5 cents

Here's a couple of my favorite covers:

Peace Train - 10,000 Maniacs: Totally better than the original, although I love that too.

No Quarter - Maktub: This Seattle band has an awesome sound, and a magnificent Led Zeppelin cover. Yes, it seriously makes me think it's better than the original.

With a little help from my friends - Joe Cocker: Much better indeed!

Joni Mitchell, "Unchained Melody"
At the risk of showing my age...and questionable taste: Karen Carpenter, "Ticket to ride" Just about anything Lani Hall covers will sound better than the original.... Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" being a good example. Segio Mendez and Brasil '66 (featuring Ms Hall, I think) "Fool on the Hill." I notice Eva Cassidy has already got a mention but "Song Bird" (Fleetwood Mac) featured recntly on the film "Love Actually" is worth a listen.

Peranders
Nico (German model & gothic voiced singer in the Velvet Underground and with John Cale)
Is she alive these days?

She died about 15 years ago while riding a bike in Ibiza.

Two good covers:
Cream: Sitting on top of the World (sorry Muddy).
Vanilla Fudge: You Keep Me Hanging On (heavy man).

Pass the spl*ff guys