Neil Young Recording Fans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seeing as Neil Young produced so many outstanding recordings we often use to judge our wonderful Valve amps,
Here Is a link to a great Video/Recording . As many may already know, His new movie " Heart Of Gold" releases in several Major Cities the Feb 10-17th.

Video

Enjoy
Trout

Oh, If that link doesnt work, Here is a link to his Trailer website
Heart Of Gold

The artist that made "After the Gold Rush" and "Everybody's Rockin'" is not overrated in my book. God is closer to the truth. If you want overrated, try the Beatles (relatively speaking) and every white American rock artist from the 1950s.

Anybody taking swipes at Neil Young should do their homework... really do their homework... and then shut the ****up...

God or fate could have smiled on Neil and given him some vocal cords or sanity... he has done far more than "gotten by" without any....

Cool link Gene!

You're right. Elvis had one good year, at Sun. Everything after that is pretty useless. If it was because of Elvis or the studio hacks at RCA is irrelevant. If it was the latter then Elvis was nothing more than a tool.

Still, there's no comparison between those people and Neil Young. Neil is nobody's tool.

Neil Young is one of those rare artists that are one of a kind.

An absolute genius of a word smith and truly one of the most VERSATILE musicians on earth.

Who else can bang a Les Paul with Crazy Horse and in the same breath sing "Pardon my heart".

If you don't "get him"....you really owe it to yourself to listen to his early stuff. (please?)

"I am a child" with Buffalo Sprongfield is one of the greatest songs ever written.

LISTEN TO THE LYRICS.......IF YOU'RE A 20 or 30 something dude, even now....you'll freak.

"You're such a stupid girl....LAH LAH LAH LAH LAH LAH LAH LAH"

Hey,

Thinking about it, I happen to like 1 hit wonders !! Even 1 album wonders!

Oooops, I guess I just like MOST music,
As I sit here Humming 867-5309 while I shop Fleabay for Old Muddy Waters Records not yet in my collection,

I think back to the late 60's and early 70's in one of my early garage bands playing many great Neil Young songs.

These days to be a 1 hit wonder, All you need is a bootleg copy of acid pro, A few loops and the 7 dirty words not allowed on TV with " Kill Whitey" sandwiched in.

Somebody told me that's music also, And I suppose that's somewhat true, But, I wont go out of my way to put people down that actually like it.
trout

kelticwizard said:
Yes, like Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Richie Valens and Buddy Holly. One hit wonders like that.

I think this is a generation gap thing. Every 20 years or so pop music repeats itself (for example mid-late '70 bands like Roxy music using sounds of the '50s and shows like Happy Days.) As there wasn't quite 20 years between early Elvis and early Neil Young, those that like one don't usually like the other. However, it explains Neil's work with Pearl jam in the early '90s and subsequent popularity with a new generation.

Now Elvis' work from the '70s, take Aloha From Hawaii: a drugged-up, slurred and forgotten lyric, sequin-fest. I suppose it IS better to burn out than to fade away, neither of which has Neil shown any signs of doing (Greendale aside).

Max

I don't think anyone has problem with one-hit wonders. Most of my favorite artists are no-hit wonders. I don't rate artists by sales.

What I, and I guess other people, get hung up on is that somebody with virtually no peers in popular music is called overrated. But, yes, it's virtually impossible to talk about artists this way. "After the Gold Rush" and "Everybody's Rockin'" are masterpieces for all I care. The former was a big hit and is considered a classic. The latter did poor business and nobody cares about it today. They are equals, yet not.

Attachments

• niel.jpg
    niel.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 86
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.