Must-have LPs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A huge record store lost their lease in town and everything is 50% off now, soon to be 75% off. I'm starting to build my LP collection and I was wondering if any had any must-have LPs becuase of musical content or quality of recording or anything really.

They have mostly classic rock, but they also have a big jazz section some soul and a large classical section. I'm up for almost anything. Oh, and I overheard one of the guys say yesterday that they had a garage full of unsorted records they want to unload for $1,000 as-is, he guesses ~20,000 records! :bigeyes: Anyone want to gamble on that one!

Thanks for recommendations!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My favourite jazz is Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. (bebop)

Look for Blues stuff by John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters 'folk singer' is great.

labels - blue note is pretty safe for jazz.

Classic rock - Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Bad Company, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Free, Early ZZ Top, Early Fleetwood Mac.

I always loved the early Pink Floyd best - Piper at the gates of dawn, Saucerful of secrets, Obscured by clouds, Relics, More etc... I think anything past DSOTM is not as good as anything up to it.

If you come across Alex Harvey 'next' please buy it for me
:)

Rob

Rob also brings up another idea. If you want me to look for a LP that you've been searching for, list it and (provided I don't really like it :angel: ) I'll ship it to you. I really feel like I want to help these guys out since they have been a staple of the local music community and they are getting a pretty raw deal.

RCA Living Stereo (Red Seal): Everything by Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony. Most of these were produced by Richard Mohr and engineered by Lewis Leyton. Actually any LSC-nnnn produced by Mohr and engineered by Leyton. These are all some of the best recordings ever made. There is a reason they are so sought after. Also any LSC of the Boston Symphony, especially lead by Charles Munch.

Mercury Living Presence: Anything produced by Wilma Cozart and engineered by C. Robert Fine. These are simple, 3 omni-directional mic recordings which still sound amazingly musical and lifelike to me.

Also, early Angel (UK) recordings. These are also from the of less (microphones) is better school of recording engineering.

This is just what comes to mind quickly. These are all from the "Golden Age of Recording" when records were recorded lovingly and designed to convey music instead of just make money.

I have been to that record store and was suitably impressed. It is the best used record store I have ever been into. It is truly a black day for vinyl that they have to close.:bawling:

Ken

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Don't forget Hazel O'Connor "Breaking Glass" - buy it simply for the saxophone solo on "Will you?" and enjoy the rest as well. Oh, and how about Heart? A brilliant band fronted by two sisters and somewhat akin to Fleetwood Mac. I play their debut album "Dreamboat Annie" frequently.

EC8010 said:
Don't forget Hazel O'Connor "Breaking Glass" - buy it simply for the saxophone solo on "Will you?" and enjoy the rest as well. Oh, and how about Heart? A brilliant band fronted by two sisters and somewhat akin to Fleetwood Mac. I play their debut album "Dreamboat Annie" frequently.

'I've got a new dance it's just like a robot':D

"oooohh barracuda !"

Rob

'Shake your moneymaker!'

Anything by Yes, King Crimson or Rick Wakeman on the prog-rock side. Alex Harvey always sounded great on vinyl -I have an original pressing of 'Next' stunning. if they have an early 'Tubular Bells' on the heavy classical vinyl, buy without delay. Look out for Van Halen albums. And also, eyes open for obscure stuff as well, like Sir Lord Baltimore. Have a look at Julian Cope's album of the month listings -some new, some old, all odd, but worthy of remembering, and of listening. http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/

Best
Scott

Hi Wally, I've bought much vinyl there myself. Last I heard they were looking for people with trucks to help them move. I heard somewhere on Johnson Dr. They have a fairly good bluegrass section also. Nice to see another Kansan hanging out here. GO HAWKS! Hey did you ever notice the telefunkin console in the front window for 800.00 I wander if it is still for sale. Give a shout if you need any help. Allways have a little time to help save the vinyl.:violin:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.