Mozart sucks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few good melodies (i.e. the Molto Allegro of K.550), but overall, not impressive at all. Greatly overrated. None of his contemporaries are very interesting either. Must have been the time period. Go back to Bach or forward to Beethoven and beyond, and then there's good stuff...

SY said:
I'm glad you're not trolling or anything.;)
The title may suggest I'm trolling, but I don't think such an interpretation is in agreement with the content of the post.

jackinnj, I don't follow that 'speaks to the soul' thing at all. It sounds nice, but when I think about it, it doesn't mean anything.
And if you insist on it, then I should ask who you think, say, Schubert, speaks to (I'm guessing not his syphilis!)

As for Bach speaking to gAWD, I love the music yet I'm the biggest atheist on this spiral arm; the motivation behind music is to me largely irrelevant.

Nixie said:
You don't think I'd pay for a CD if I didn't like him, now! It's all downloaded mp3s.

Now there's the reason. You get what you pay for. :)

Everybody tends to discover the composers in their own individual order. You will probably discover Mozart too one day, when you are ready for it. Somebody else maybe loves Mozart, but can't understand Beethoven, until suddenly, one day, it is all revealed...

Don't forget that interpretation means a lot in classical music. Mayby you have just happened to try boring performers?

Christer is very right,

The performance and interpretation means everything. The best Rhapsody in Blue was, IMO, Leonard Bernstein at the keys in New York... early CD... so-so recording... even some bad notes in the piano work, but the best music!

And Beethoven is always hard to listen to the first few times... it's complicated music.

Listen to Mozart's operas... that really the only opera I will listen to... he did his best work when pretty sopranos were involved.

;)

Quote from Peter Schaffer's Amadeus: 'Too many notes.'

I can't disagree. Very good no doubt, but not for me. Then again, I'm a luddite apparantly as I have never been made to feel welcome at any classical concert I've ever been too. Apparantly, and I quote what some pretentious old toad said to my face: 'I can't understand.' This was because, if you're interested, I er, went to hear and enjoy some music. Apparantly this was anathama to the people there, like passing the port the wrong way round. Music is not, I gathered, supposed to be enjoyed.

And they wonder why listener numbers are dwindling. Sigh.

Nixie said:
A few good melodies (i.e. the Molto Allegro of K.550), but overall, not impressive at all. Greatly overrated. None of his contemporaries are very interesting either. Must have been the time period. Go back to Bach or forward to Beethoven and beyond, and then there's good stuff...

Wouldn't it be interesting if we all drove Chevies?
Steve

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A week ago, the Belgium radio broadcasted the 170 Cd's counting Mozart collection which was his complete oeuvre, in ten days and nights, non stop.
It was a nice bath to take and made me drive very relaxed in my car.
But then, I know nothing about classical music.

/Hugo

Mozart ***

I thought the same until I heard the strings quintets! :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: WOW!

Gentlemen, it is on chamber music where the artist can express his most wild ideas. Usually, chamber compositions are a few decades ahead of the rest of an artist's work. For opera, it is totally the opposite: music is behind the rest of the production. Safe Wagner! Of course.

His Symphonies are very boring: mass entertainment.
His Operas are nice but lack of passion.

See, the problem with Mozart's music is that IT'S PERFECT on the formal aspect, so your brain is not impressed (maybe because you know what's next, Beethoven, Berlioz, Wagner, Brahms...etc.)
BUT, playing it must be extreeeemelly difficult because the player must not show any stress while trying to maintain the perfect style and sound. He has to make you think that it's actually easy to perform.
It's like in opera, anybody can sing "verismo" (for a while) but not everybody can sing a Mozart aria
:cool:
I will surelly explore the rest of his chamber music.

Regards
Mauricio

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
Quote from Peter Schaffer's Amadeus: 'Too many notes.'

Yeah, and I also like what Hesse wrote about that in "Steppenwolf" (1927).

And me being from Salzburg, I certainly do not agree with anything that contains "Mozart" and "sucks" within the same sentence ;)

:confused: Tim Horton Bassmaster Pro

Oh, and I know some people from the Mozarteum who wouldn't be very fond of what's going on here :scratch:

http://www.moz.ac.at/;)

Attachments

• tim horton.jpg
    tim horton.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 226
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.