Mozart sucks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I disagree with you. I'm a violonist in a famous french orchester www.onpl.fr (yes there is some professional musician that makes audio and electronics) and think that mozart is the greatest composer...
Ok from the first approch, his music could seem always the same, but when you listen a lot, you can see a multitude of detail, always different, some harmony changes that nobody can do the same, that's the geniius of mozart...
I like all mozart, but for me the more evoluate things are the piano quartett, all the quintett, the string trio, (almost all chamber music), but the best : concertant symphony for viola violin and orchester, and the requiem (whithout the end that's not from mozart, and you can feel it...)

Ok that's only my point of vue, but don't make an idea on mozart just by listening one time, but force you to listen and I promise you that you can discover a very very good music.

Thanks
Hugues

Bonjour Hugues :)

I'm glad you posted your opinion.

I like all mozart, but for me the more evoluate things are the piano quartett, all the quintett, the string trio, (almost all chamber music), but the best : concertant symphony for viola violin and orchester, and the requiem

I begin to force myself to listen to Mozart, as you advice, when I heard the string quintets with Grumiaux trio et al. It's wonderfull music. It was a pleasant revelation that made me reconsider my previous opininon of the composer. The sinfonia concertante for violin and viola is also very good. I am willing to buy more chamber music but hadn't the time to search.

Allow me an auto-quote:

the problem with Mozart's music is that IT'S PERFECT on the formal aspect, so your brain is not impressed (maybe because you know what's next, Beethoven, Berlioz, Wagner, Brahms...etc.)
BUT, playing it must be extreeeemelly difficult because the player must not show any stress while trying to maintain the perfect style and sound. He has to make you think that it's actually easy to perform.

I wanted to know your opinion, as a violinist, about the difficulty of playing Mozart. Am I wright in my guess?

I am an amateur lyrical singer and I found very difficult to sing Mozart for the above mentioned aspects. The technique and control must be perfect to do the music justice.
My lack of preference of Mozart's operas is due to the fact that the tenor is not the leading role or, there's no high notes "pour épater le bourgeois".

Merci :)
Mauricio

Hello mauricio,

I wanted to know your opinion, as a violinist, about the difficulty of playing Mozart. Am I wright in my guess?

Yes Mozart is one on the more difficult thing to play good (that's why it's given in almost all violin audition). It's not technically difficult like paganini or others, but the difficulty is to play it simpler, to find phrase direction, but never exagerated, like nelson pass says "less is more".

Thaks
Hugues

hugobors said:
Hello mauricio,

Yes Mozart is one on the more difficult thing to play good (that's why it's given in almost all violin audition). It's not technically difficult like paganini or others, but the difficulty is to play it simpler, to find phrase direction, but never exagerated, like nelson pass says "less is more".

Thaks
Hugues

mozart::violin: ::bach:voice

Rodeodave said:

And me being from Salzburg, I certainly do not agree with anything that contains "Mozart" and "sucks" within the same sentence ;)

You can have "Mozart" and "sucks" in the same sentence if you include "FM Midi". :)

I was sorting out an old PC for a friend and decided to check out the soundcard. FM Midi is truly awful. I had a bunch of various midi files and for nothing better to do played a few minutes of each composer. J S Bach was the worst imo followed by Beethoven then Mozart. I'm not talking about their talents here, they wrote for real musicians but the bad midi card stripped the music out and just left patterns of different pitches. I could only listen for a few minutes before changing composer.

Tchaikovsky was, for me, in a class of his own. I'm not a musician so can't explain what was going on but it held my attention for half an hour or so. Without the musicality I almost understood what he was doing in a mathematical sense.

Don't think I'll repeat the experiment, the sound was cringe factor 10 but if ever you're real bored and have an old FM Midi card.... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.