Now Playing + What are you listening to?

Bobby Gordon was mentored by clarinetist Joe Marsala, and owes much to his style of playing. Another interesting Arbors release is Gordon teaming up with jazz harpist Adele Girard, Joe Marsala's wife and co-conspirator for a lot of swing jazz from the 30's. She passed on soon after that recording.

Vermeer Qt, Beethoven String Qts, 12 & 16 - Teldec

Very noisy musicians, the sniffing and intaking of breaths is extremely prominent; a previous played recording of Brahms Trios, by a relatively anonymous label is vastly better in this regard. I guess this is all about microphone technique, and sometimes the unknowns can do it far better ...

Now?

Yesterday and today, all EMI collections
yesterday: Richard Strauss, 4 discs
Dresden State Orchestra directed by Kempe...it was 1973.
Today: Beatles, the red disc ( 1962/1967 ? )
The red and the blue ( 1967/69) collection I had on cassette
I did listen to it again and again in my childhood...but that was another one!
It was R'n'R Beatles !

Yesterday, the audiophile cliche: girl and guitar - but the real thing! A busker, in an extremely echoey gangway to a shopping centre, no stupid PA nonsense - always good to recalibrate one's hearing to live sounds. Key aspects were the sharpness and intensity of the girl's voice, tremendous punch in the high notes when she went for it; and the mellow qualities of the guitar - the sort of things that audiophile recordings and systems often get back to front ...

Bob, I don't think she even had a collection box or whatever for coins and offerings, from memory! Must have had, but she obviously was enjoying the sense of what she was doing - and I got a buzz from the transient listening.

Offering her a drink? My wife, besides me at the time, might have had a word or two to say about that ... ;)

Went to a string quartet recital in a nearby manor house. They played Mozart K138, K421
sanwiching Hyden's Op20 No3. A European Quartet of young musicians, Chiaroscuro Quartet, who were all but flawless, though a few small timing errors in the K421….a gloomy piece, probably best played by older musicians with a greater experience of sadness in life!

Listened to samples of same when I returned home - just samples whilst the sound memory was fresh in mind - by Tokyo and Amadaus Quartets on old vinyl records. Was pleasantly surprised.