Now Playing + What are you listening to?

Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session (CD)

It's a CD I've had since the early '90s

An interesting thing about it is.....it was recoded in an old church using just a single mic creating an interesting live sound.

BTW, the CJ got permission to use the church by saying that they wanted to use it to record a "Christmas album". They just neglected to say that the album was just to be released during Christmas but, it was to have had no actual Christmas related content.

Last edited:
Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session (CD)

It's a CD I've had since the early '90s

An interesting thing about it is.....it was recoded in an old church using just a single mic creating an interesting live sound.

BTW, the CJ got permission to use the church by saying that they wanted to use it to record a "Christmas album". They just neglected to say that the album was just to be released during Christmas but, it was to have had no actual Christmas related content.

Thats some great canadian content recorded in my home town..margo timmins has spectacular vocals

Thats some great canadian content recorded in my home town..margo timmins has spectacular vocals

Yes.

BTW, it's amusing that some (on the net) seem to think that the CJ'S version of Sweet Jane on The Trinity Session is a actually Hope Sandoval and Mazzy Star.

Hope may be a good singer (I have "Among My Swans") but there is no comparison to Margo Timmins. :)

Last edited:

She certainly has.
They are an incredibly professional group. I've put a lot of their stuff on my mp3 player and listen at work (not supposed to) and when it is quiet there the Junkies music is mind blowingly perfect.

Seen them live twice and they are magnificent.

"Bea's Song" alone was worth the price of the concert. One of my favourites although it is impossible to select one absolute favourite,too many excellent ones.

Every once in a while I catch this playing, and then played it on cd. It can be heart string tugger Willie Nelson - Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain - YouTube , old willy can sing. So can this guy Clint Black-Killin Time - YouTube Hes a great writer and singer of traditional style country. If you havent heard of him check out some of his stuff, he sings with heart. Unlike a lot of new country I think they call it lol, I find a lot of it cliche and rather funny. But there is some good stuff. This one goes along with that hehe Murder on Music Row - Alan Jackson; George Strait - YouTube btw

Green Day - Awesome as F**k, live CD from the library, on the PC. Was only aware of this band from net chatter, got the impression they're weren't much to listen to. How wrong can you be (!), classic hard driving Brit rock & roll, well recorded, in 2011 - drums tight as tight can be - a great listen, like a nostalga session with Slade ...

Green Day - Awesome as F**k, live CD from the library, on the PC. Was only aware of this band from net chatter, got the impression they're weren't much to listen to. How wrong can you be (!), classic hard driving Brit rock & roll, well recorded, in 2011 - drums tight as tight can be - a great listen, like a nostalga session with Slade ...

I like green day a lot too but their not brit theyre from the usa you must mean the style then yea they have that flavor

Booker T - Sound the Alarm, also from the library

On the Stax label, recorded 2013 - but you wouldn't pick it, from some tracks. They've obviously passed it through some rough and ready analogue stages, or a digital simulator - to 'dirty up' the sound, add a bit of sludge befitting the label, :). The contrast between the just heard live Green Day concert tracks is quite dramatic ...

This is only partially successful, if I want to deaden, flatten the sound I would prefer that option to be in the hands of the listener ...

Last edited:
The Bees - Free the Bees, from the library yet again, from 2004

This trying to capture the "old sound" is a disease, this is an AAD recording done at Abbey Road, the groups are doing themselves no favours - an original recording from the early 60's would eat this for breakfast, they've put in quite an effort with this to try and turn the cymbals into white noise ... guys, this is just dumb - you'll regret doing this, down the track ...

Hmmm, might be a bit more complicated with the Bees CD - the CD-ROM drive was roaring its head off even after it had finished playing, there may be complications - there are 2 strikes against this CD, it has Copy Control technology on it, which may be upsetting the reading software, and, as a library CD this is probably the worst scratched disk I've come across - holding it up the light the crap on it makes it look like an abstract painting ...

I might try doing some experiments on this recording ...