Now Playing + What are you listening to?

Oh!! You got me!!

Listening to that was a life-changing experience!

Somehow, I went through that whole era without any awareness of Gentle Giant, or, rather, not that I can remember. That was a profound tragedy but without it I couldn't have had the amazing experience of hearing them for the first time, just now. And who knows, maybe I wouldn't have properly appreciated them until now.

The talent, energy, proficiency, and creative joy of those guys makes it like I am escaping to another world, for a while (and taking with me the best candy I ever had). I can't wait to sample some of their studio stuff. (Any suggestions?)

They could have used better sound engineering but I imagine it was quite a challenge, at the time.

Thank you, Gyuri!!

Cheers,

Tom

Hello Tom,

I'm really pleased if I showed you something new.
That's why this page is my favorite.
New (old) musics to show to others and find here new ones to me..
Gentle Giant is my old love.
This was the first record I've ever heard of them, around 1974:

Acquiring the Taste - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, I falling in love permanently with that taste.

That 2465 oscilloscope is now working perfectly.
The A/B time base microswitch was bad.

Kind regards,

Gyuri

Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans (Full Album) - YouTube

14898149e7a0bcfe1031e110.L.jpg

Lee Ritenour - Wes Bound / 1993

You won't find them to listen to on line (except for three from the other side of the LP), but eBay and Amazon here still have used LP copies, for $3 or $4. I have bought several copies, just as backups.

Nonesuch Records, H 71144, BACH: 2- & 3-part Inventions (complete), George Malcolm on harpsichord

I wore out the side with the fifteen three-part inventions, on my original LP.

I have almost every other version of those and none come anywhere close to these as played by George Malcolm. I could not possibly recommend this strongly-enough.

When I finally acquire a good turntable again, I will try to digitize them and post them on line.

Christmas is far from now yet, but Lionel Rogg plays J.S. Bach Chorals de Noel
for me.
Yes of course I know George Malcolm.
George Malcolm featured on the radio a lot in our country at that time.
Unfortunately I do not have recordings with him.
You heard some recordings of Zuzana Růžičková?

Christmas is far from now yet, but Lionel Rogg plays J.S. Bach Chorals de Noel
for me.
Yes of course I know George Malcolm.
George Malcolm featured on the radio a lot in our country at that time.
Unfortunately I do not have recordings with him.

That particular Nonesuch Records LP has special magic. But don't worry because I will make WAV files for you!

You heard some recordings of Zuzana Růžičková?

Never! I do not even recognize the name.

You will be happy, in a way, that there are probably many things I have never heard of. And I hope that I will still get to experience them.

For me, sadly, age 18 and 1975 were in some ways like the stopping point of much of my personal musical and literary development. Luckily, for me, I had been a voracious reader and music lover and musician, already. In August of 1975 I went to a very large university to study electrical engineering and I devoted myself to mostly only that for five years. I discovered that mathematics was as beautiful as women and music. However, I still listened to music constantly, and did buy a fair number of new LPs, during that period (including H 71144, and all of my Kansas and Yes LPs, and many others). Then I spent a little over three years in an aerospace job, with evenings and weekends spent mostly in various young women, and some disco clubs. No new music or books at all. I even totally ignored a new thing called "music videos". After that, I met my future wife and we started a software company and worked 16 hours a day, seven days a week, for about fifteen years, and had three kids. Almost no new music or books at all, then, either, and no movies or videos. But we were very happy. Then she got cancer and died horribly 10.5 months later at age 44 and I became mostly non-functional for some years, drank too much, became very poor, and raised three kids alone, and refurbished test equipment to pay off 0.25M USD of remaining bills. Finally I took to heart that she would want me to try to be happy and thrive, and with the support of a wonderful girlfriend, I finally "took the plunge" and got another real engineering job, six years ago. And it is an absolutely-great and very-motivating job, working with great people, in an extremely-well-equipped environment, with high pay. A few years ago, I finally had time to realize that my life was relatively stable and there was not a shortage of money. So I decided to update my audio system and, later, also my music collection. "I'm back!". It was a very long trip and while it was probably necessary, and much was gained, much was also sacrificed and lost. But now I am back. I feel like I met and was welcomed back by a part of me that had been patiently waiting for my return. I am different, now. But I am still the same, too.

I do still need a turntable, for all of my old LPs. And I need lots more recordings. Your suggestions will be extremely helpful. I will also eventually go back and review most of this thread, and maybe some others like it. But any "best" or "must-have" lists of CDs or LPs that you or anyone could suggest would be appreciated, very much. (But I guess maybe, technically, that's a different thread.)

Last edited: