Now Playing + What are you listening to?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Best recorded

A Dutch hifi site did a nationwide poll: what do you consider the best recorded music.

Top 30 all time best records:

1 - Amused to Death - Roger Waters (1992)
2 - Touch - Yello (2009)
3 - Acoustic Live - Nils Lofgren (1997)
4 - Metallica – Metallica (Black Album) (1991)
5 – The Last Resort – Trentemøller (2006)
6 - Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd (1973)
7 - The Colour of Spring - Talk Talk (1986)
8 - We`re Here Because We`re.. - Anathema (2010)
9 - Sir John Alot - John Renbourn (1968)
10 - Kilo - The Nits (1983)
11 - Jazz at the Pawnshop - Diverse artiesten (1977)
12 - Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd (1975)
13 - Cafe Blue - Patricia Barber (1994)
14 - Live in Paris - Diana Krall (2002)
15 - Beste van Twee Meter Sessies (1987-2009) – V.A. (2009)
16 - Live at Carnegie Hall - Harry Belafonte (1989)
17 - Moon Safari - Air (1998)
18 - The Girl in the Other Room - Diana Krall (2004)
19 - Gone To Earth - David Sylvian (1986)
20 - Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles (1967)
21 - Deadwing - Porcupine Tree (2005)
22 - Frances The Mute - The Mars Volta (2005)
23 - Heartbreaker – Ryan Adams (2000)
24 - Kind of Blue – Miles Davis (1959)
25 - Dear John - Ilse DeLange (1999)
26 - The Big Gundown - Ennio Morricone (1966)
27 - Architecture & Morality - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (1981)
28 - Seldom Seen Kid - Elbow (2008)
29 - Montgolfieres- Gianmaria Testa (2003)
30 – My One and Only Thrill - Melody Gardot (2010)

jan didden

Hi janneman,
interesting list; I have seven of these recordings and I would agree that the first two are are right at the top for sound quality. I love Yello's cd "Touch", I think it is their best cd yet. The trumpet work of Tilll Bronner is simply incredible.
Two cd's that should or could be on the list would be "The Pro's and Con's of Hitchhiking" by Roger Waters again; and "Live at Blues Alley" by Eva Cassidy, easily her best recording and one of, if not "the" best live recording that I have ever heard.

Cheers

Jan, interesting that this list is dominated by HIGHLY processed recordings. Not much of the all-acoustic, minimal miking, no compression, no sweetening genre. One exception is the chestnut "Jazz at the Pawnshop", but what unbelievably dull music! And the original record, like everything else from Proprius in that era, had terrible pre-echo.

Speaking of which... I'm playing the newly released "Matt the Electrician is Alive" CD. Very enjoyable and accessible music, superbly performed, but... despite the fact that his albums have gotten some praise in the audiophile press (very positive review of his last release, "Animal Boy", in Enjoy the Music), I'm very, very unhappy with the recordings. Again, lots of processing. This particular album was interesting to me not just because I love Matt's work, but because I was at the live recording sessions and unwittingly collaborated on the album art. You can even hear me singing (such as it is) on the song "What's So Funny". I would still tell everyone to run right out and buy this album, but as someone who is intimately familiar with the sound of those musicians and their instruments in that particular space, I can attest that the strong signature of the producer/engineer dominates.

Here's a dynamic analysis of one of the songs, "Valedictorian". Like most of Matt's songs, it's a wonderful little story, which the producer/engineer compressed, clipped, and eviscerated. Still, buy this album for the music. If you listen to "Bacon Song" and don't crack up laughing and spend the next week trying to get that earworm removed, you have no sense of humor and no soul.

Attachments

• Matt the Electrician - valedictorian DA.jpg
    Matt the Electrician - valedictorian DA.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 109
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Jan, interesting that this list is dominated by HIGHLY processed recordings. Not much of the all-acoustic, minimal miking, no compression, no sweetening genre.

Most of what folks think is "well recorded" is actually just well produced. Produced to sound good, or cool, or loud.

My first year at RMAF a gentleman stopped by the room with some of his own recordings. His company was "Log Cabin Recordings" out of Sausalito, CA. Beautiful stuff! Piano sounded like a piano, just enough ambiance to sound right, great image. He did it all with one stereo mic.

Tho he left his card, I never could get in touch with him. Too bad, I really wanted to buy some CDs.

It looks like a lot of those recordings are old warhorse "demonstration" records. Some, like Yello, are a lot of fun but good for a listen only once every couple of months. Others may be well-recorded but make for dull listening experiences, like JATPS and Diana Krall. However, some are just flat out great - everyone should have a good copy of Kind of Blue. No classical recordings? Isn't Europe the most cultured continent on Earth? :)

John

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm always amazed at how little classical music audiophile listen to. More than the average punter, but not a large amount.
Classical is the main reason I push my system. The other stuff doesn't need the fidelity to enjoy - at least for me.

That said, I'm listening to cough, cough - Esquivel at the moment.

the most cu.tured continent

Dear John,

is it absolutely necessary to post moonshine images or cul-de-sac closeups to get the degenerated inbreed message across ?

Listening to Shostakovich by Ashk-e-nazy.

(my greatuncle was the only real classical composer Belgium ever had, imported prick on top of that, but only bearable after a quarter of 6-packs)