Now Playing + What are you listening to? - Page 187 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2010, 05:01 PM   #1861
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It was... amazing. This is really the most vibrant live music scene I've ever experienced, and I say that as someone who has lived in LA and San Francisco, and worked in Vienna.

I shot some video, which is mostly black blackness with a little discernible motion, but the sound was fine. Check out the Annie Art Collective page, which you can get to from my Facebook page, for some photos of the setup.
Old 28th April 2010, 05:02 PM   #1862
diyAudio Moderator

Oh, and I got an email from George Carver (pictured a few posts above) who told me that he was a big fan of the NHT M3.3s.
Old 28th April 2010, 05:14 PM   #1863
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
It was... amazing. This is really the most vibrant live music scene I've ever experienced, and I say that as someone who has lived in LA and San Francisco, and worked in Vienna.

I shot some video, which is mostly black blackness with a little discernible motion, but the sound was fine. Check out the Annie Art Collective page, which you can get to from my Facebook page, for some photos of the setup.
Hi SY,
When I get home tonight I will check out the video on your Facebook page, looking forward to it. I've heard Austin TX is pretty amazing as far as the music scene goes. I have to admit I don't really avail myself of the opportunity that exists around here which is also considerable. Went to an amazing Marimba concert up in Newburyport last year, but that's the most recent thing I've done. The BSO is only a couple of stops away on the subway, and Quincy even has an Symphony orchestra, have I ever heard it, no..
Old 28th April 2010, 06:14 PM   #1864
diyAudio Moderator

Unfortunately, the video isn't on my page (it's 200+MB!), just a link to the Collective, where they will probably have some photos of the setup. But do check out Matt's stuff on YouTube, especially Animal Boy (he led the show off with that one), For Angela (fun storytelling), and Bridge to Nowhere.
Old 28th April 2010, 06:55 PM   #1865
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time getting excited about audio.
Im reminded of this quote:

"... would assert that a live music event is the standard that should be used to judge the quality of a home music system. Again, if that is the standard then we are all listening to music events, in our living rooms, that taste like Texas Road Kill in August. Even the best efforts deserve nothing more than a "F". "

Dr. Harvey "GIZMO" Rosenberg
Old 28th April 2010, 06:56 PM   #1866
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Other cities have music scenes also. Here you can see the schedule for the upcoming Beal street music festival.

Memphis In May International Festival: Schedule for Friday April 30 @ Memphis, TN

Already sold out.

Here is another little local get together.

Bonnaroo - Artists

Here in the Nashville area, it's hard to find anything open after 6 PM that doesn't have live music.
Old 28th April 2010, 07:12 PM   #1867
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Other cities have music scenes also.
And I've lived in many of them. But I have never, never seen one this lively, accessible, and pervasive.

I know Bonnaroo. Sort of a junior SxSW.
Old 28th April 2010, 07:24 PM   #1868
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Quote:

What are you listening to?

type o negaitive
Old 28th April 2010, 07:33 PM   #1869
diyAudio Member

Here are links to some music I would have never heard if not for a local independent radio station.

YouTube - Tracy Grammer - Ordinary Town

YouTube - Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer perform "When I Go"

YouTube - Julie and Buddy Miller - Broken Things (Bluebird Cafe Version)

YouTube - Buddy & Julie Miller - Keep Your Distance

I didn't find anything on YouTube by this guy, but you can check out sampels of his music here:

Amazon.com: Victor Mecyssne: Albums, Songs, Bios, Photos

I could do this all day.
Old 28th April 2010, 08:35 PM   #1870
diyAudio Moderator

That's how I've gotten into all sorts of new (for me) music. We have two independent stations sharing the same frequency (time split) that play outstanding non-mainstream stuff. The NPR station is also quite good, but the indies, well... I don't have to tell YOU that!

Hide this!Advertise here!