"electronic" music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
definition for "electronic music"

let's talk about a possible definition for "electronic" music, OK?????
I'd say: "recordings, that get a special touch (character??) by involving electronic devices wether to create sounds or alter them in a significant way"
An E-guitar for instance already does this what You describe and therefore this fit to 99% of music like Rock, Jazz-Rock, Pop, Soul, Funk, Hip-Hop, Punk, Punkrock, Metal.... Funkrocksoulhipjazzdeathmetalpunk...did I forget one:D and I´d describe it somewhat more specific as sounds that are completly created synthesized by computers (at least that is what I understand under the term "electronic music").
This kind of sound is quite rare nowadays I believe , of course except of that Techno-stuff which most of it is just :cannotbe: :dead: :bored: :whacko: :ill: :smash: :t_ache: (hey....what a great opportunity to try all that fancy icons!!)
One of the early classics of the electronic style as I understand it occurs to me - Jean Michel Jarre "Oxygene" (1976)
(I know it`s a really old hat but I still like it once in while - his later productions are all crap IMHO)
Quite a lot of new music is coming from Germany nowadays.
Can it be that I`ve missed something?:scratch:

Re: definition for "electronic music"

cocolino said:

Can it be that I`ve missed something?:scratch:

This kind of sound is just :cannotbe: :dead: :bored: :whacko: :ill: :smash: :t_ache: (hey....what a great opportunity to try all that fancy icons!!)

I don't think you that missed much.;)

You are right about Jarre's Oxygene. In 1976 it was a real classic. The later production wasn't as fresh, but still, you can find 2 or 3 albums that are quite enjoyable.

I much more prefer Tangerine Dream though and Klaus Schulze. And what about Kitaro, Tomita, Vangelis and Mike Oldfield?

I find Kitaro rather like elevator music, but he has had an influence on some other performers I like.

Earlier this year I was fortunate enough to attend a live E-Music event and some of the sounds/grooves/vibes made were awe inspiring.

This genre can be very moving at times.

Tony D.

Personally, I think of electronic music as anything made primarily by machines - synths, drum machines, 909's, 808's, samplers, etc.

I'm sure it varies around the nation/ throughout the world. My friends and I call just about anything you hear at a club these days, 'house'. A partial list of sub-categories within house:

House, hard house, deep house, Chicago house, Detroit house, Acid house (going back to England in the late 80's), San Francisco house, West Coast breaks, break beat, jungle, hardcore, happy hardcore, dub, drum n' bass, acid jazz, mushroom jazz, trip hop, techno, tech step, trance, hard trance, acid trance, garage, electro...

I'm sure I missed a bunch, and I'm sure there are plenty that I've never heard of.

My understanding is that, although heavily influenced by 70s disco, modern house music originated in Chicago in the mid-80s, made its way to London where it became acid house - a very trippy brand of house music. People would gather at someone's flat, play some acid house, and drop acid. I think the guy who wrote Trainspotting wrote an earlier book called Acid House. Anywho, in about 1990-1, the music came back to the US, particularly Chicago, in its evolved form. There was an article in Urb about this a few years ago. I think Rolling Stone also ran a similar article.

There's a ton of good music you can sample around the web - www.1015.com, for starters. I'm at work and don't have access to my bookmarks, but will post more later. Oh - www.k7.com - there's a new DJ Kicks album by Playgroup with a brilliant remix of Tainted Love - 5th track (about 10-15 min. into the stream).

DJs/groups I like: Miguel Migs (just about anything/one from Naked Music), Mark Farina, Derrick Carter, Diz, Garth, Jeno, Jazzanova, Dixon (who is part of Jazznova), Mark Grant, Luke Solomon, Towa Tei (former turntablist for Deee-lite) and Thievery Corporation. There's a remix of Bebel Gilberto that's terrific, and Doc Martin's Sounds You Can Feel will give your bass bins a work out.

Metropolis is one of my fave , but it ends before it gets better :( Samples are only 30 seconds long.

Jaxx is really good too, its got VERY good low end, clear ambience feel to it yet very edgy sound.

The tree knows everything is good laid back track with Tracy Thorn on it.

Circles will probably sound familair to you. Its got "Roni Size" written all over it.

Peter Daniel said:
I was once a great fun of Delerium, as well as Front Line Assembly. Then it was Front 242 and nowadays I'm in favour of lighter sounds like Apoptygma Berzerk and VNV Nation. Quite a lot of new music is coming from Germany nowadays. It doesn't even bother me if the lyrics are in German, it kind of suits the music.;)

I especially like "Welcome to Paradise" from Front 242.
Ever heard of Einstuerzende Neubauten?
To be honest I only have (and heard) their Tabula Rasa album, but I really like that one.
And of course a lot of bands in the 80s used a lot of synthesizer/electronic music, such as Depeche Mode or Alphaville (Alphaville is also German IIRC?).
God I feel old... :bawling:

Rambi

WOW! I found this one a little late!

Peter - I have over 1200 records 95% 'electronica' (I prefer that term over either techno or house which are really divisions of electronica with subs in these divisions). altho CD's are easier, there is a LOT of great stuff only avaliable on vinyl. Besides I'm a DJ and ridding my self of my tables (any of the 6) would not bid me well. DON'T DO IT MAN

Okay, what I like, Hmmm....

I spin DnB and Hard *** trance with breaks. Some deep house, but most house is trash. At leat most of the stuff that I hear people spin I don't like, even tho I really like the people. So a little about DnB:

Ah, Roni Size and Adam F... how about the Roni Size remix of 'Circles' by Adam F?? Not too bad, but the original is way better... That one and 'Aromatheropy' are the 2 cuts on that album. I Don;t like ANYTHING Adam F has put out latley, as well as Roni for that matter....

After Breakbeat Era Roni went downhill in my eyes.... Stuff to check out tho is the early stuff on Dope Dragon. Roni just did a mix CD recently that had a few of his older things from both Dope Dragon and V Recordings on it. Back in the day he went by an alias or two but seemed to pop up everywhere. One of my all time Favs is 'Step up' on V Rec. Also the Photec remix of Brown Paper Bag.

Speaking of Photec.... if you liked 'Metropolis' (Jean) you would prolly like Photec's album 'Form and Function'. Now we're talking BASS especially offa vinyl =) But alas after this album Photec also slipped down that slippery slope of trying to ride the trends of DnB into the realm of the boring repeditive track....

ANYTHING offa the Good Looking Crews Labels (Good Looking, Looking Good, 720 Deg., Ascendant Grooves, etc.) are all TOP notch. the production is the absolute best in the DnB world. These are the only records I will pay for before I listen to them. I use PFM's 'One and Only' as a reference track for testing Amps and setting up sound systems. Yea, this is intelligent Jungle, but there are some of the hardest DnB tracks of all time buryed in the catalog (Alaska & Paradox, Rantoul, and Poseidon to name a few artists).

Another REALLY good label (now deader than a dodo) is Echo Drop, really sweet DnB as well as some teriffic Trip Hop.

Electronica is really in its infancy. There is a lot of crossover going on in the 'alterna-rock' arena with ppl like the Excicutioners and Incubus, etc... Mostly hip hop metal, but still crossin those lines. I saw a video a bit ago by Apex Theory, and the drummer was pullin a full up Amen break! I hear DnB in the backgrounds of all kinds of commercial, and I've even heard a Good Looking tune used as an audio 'button' on NPR! It's not going to go away, and I don't mind a bit =).

I should quit rambling now.

-Dozuki

Hello Dozuki,

I am very familair with pretty much any drum and bass artist or label you can throw at me :) I like all things Photek, other than his last house album. My all time fave dnb album, is still Wormhole
I have it both on Vinyl and CD :) Matrix - Sleepwalk is also very good.

If I had to take one dnb album with me (out of 100s), it would be Ed Rush and Optical - Wormhole .

Funny sycronicity... as I write this 'circles' randomly plays on my computer...

One Album to take with me to a deseted Island.... Most of my Favs are singles... LTJ Bukem's Mix Mag live. One of the Best and most raw sets I've heard for LT, saw him and Conrad live twice now, and I've never seen ANYTHING like the show last year in Chicago... And PFM closed out the night. It didn't matter where you went in the club (The Metro) the bass just POUNDED you =).

Yea, I thought Solaris was Majorly dissappointing.

You familiar with BLIM's early work on SOUR? The early stuff from Emotif like Dependance, Elementz of Noise, or Hydro? I really like Jungle from about 94 - 97 the best... Lots O chopped to H*ll breaks and sweet atmospheres and pads.

I spin Intelligent or atmospheric Jungle and latley have been into things with Hard Chopped Breaks akin to Photec FandF with really lush pad and atmospheres. The first jungle track that really blew me away was Blu Mar Ten's Future proof. That's the vibe I'm into latley with Jungle.

Also Spinning Hard Trance and Breaks, I like the Breaks better than the trance, and I like Jungle even more, but here in the Midwest people just won't dance to much more than a 4 to the floor house or techno beat. So I give them that and them pummel them into submission with with BLIM remixes, Freq nasty and all the DnB breaks from Botchit and Scarper and Distictive. It has the energy of todays hard DnB with speed that the crowds can deal with.

-D.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.