"electronic" music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Meat Beat Manifesto (Jack Dangers)
Hybrid
Bassnectar
Sounds from the Ground

Other favorites already mentioned:
Boards of Canada (who are like reincarnated Severed Heads)
Orbital
Yello
K&D

I recommend Pandora.com (sorry, USA only) for finding new music similar to stuff you already like. Everything I've bought in the last 3 years has come from there.

When listening to electronic music, I usually listen to old school EBM like i.e. Nitzer Ebb.

I know this response is to a 4 year old post, but . . .

I had a huge collection of mod files, then later s3m through the late 90's.

I lost the files, but I still have tapes full of them

I used to have megs of modules back then. It seems like a lot of the good ones went down the drain when I had to resurrect a messed up HDD. :(

Tied for first#1 Jam & Spoon- Follow Me, 12:41 version/ ...... Future Sound of London- Papua New Guinea, original 12" single.
Nothing short of mindblowing being front center of the Dj stage basking in those ultra-purple intellibeams ,higher than God , with perceptual time slowing down/speeding up ,rushing your *** off going into a trance all the while turning around to see 6000 smiling faces staring back:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:):D:):D:)!!!!!!!!!

The rest was a blurrrrr.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Would you agree that all which is described as electronic music today started with Donna Summer and "I Feel Love" track back in '70s?;)

No but I guess it depends on what you mean by electronic music. If you mean electronic dance music or pop electronic music then I could see that.

Tangerine Dream released Electronic Meditation around 1970. Walter Carlos' started way back in 1965 and made it big with Switched On Bach around 1968.

I am a fan of Larry Fast (Synergy), Tagerine Dream (and some of their solo efforts) as well as Walter (now Wendy) Carlos. Also have lots of Vangelis, Nash the Slash, Rick Wakeman, Eddie Jobson.

I have a box set that really opened my eyes to early forms of "electronic" music. There is even a track from the 50's that used sampling!!!
OHM: the early gurus of electronic music 1948-1980

I try hard to not use labels when discussing anything, if possible. Music is what you make it.
Thermines, Moog synths, various evolving drum machines, sampling...
These instruments can be used with live non electric instruments thus making it whatever :D

I have never been into the more industrial stuff.
I also like the minimalist stuff like Anthony Rother and some Westbam. That kind of stripped down breakdancing kind of stuff :D
What really got me into "electronic" music was early Orbital. 808 state. Chemical brothers.
I guess some of the remixes offered by them of other artists was what got me into various collaborations, dj sets and what not.
The first electonic song I ever heard that blew my F'ing mind? Well, there are two, sadly.
"Popcorn" by Hot Butter... And the song for the electriclight parade festival thingy at disneyland. I have those on CD.. :D It's on a "Best of Moog" CD I got. I love MOOG. That to me symbolized the earliest forms of what I would consider the real "electronic" movement. Some songs today still have that creepy "arpegiatted" kind of sound. :D
I think early Disco really put "electronic" music in it's place on the dance floor, and this is why it's still prevalent. Easy to produce? Can sound really good, or really crappy depending who's at the controls.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.