best drum solo or recording?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just saw this thread, and noted that it was started way back in 2002!

Drum solos can be boring and irritating if the drummer doesn't have anything to say musically. On the other hand, some can be excellent. Somebody mentioned Steve Gadd. He's a monster musician! My acquaintance Stockton Helbing was Maynard Ferguson's Music Director and drummer, and for the past several years has been Doc Severinsen's drummer. He plays very interesting solos. Check out his recordings. I have a live recording of Buddy Rich doing a very lengthy solo back in 1971 which I've listened to many times. Very inventive and interesting.

Last edited:
You can have this if you'll pay the postage -- sealed reissue:

Attachments

• IMG_5863.JPG
    IMG_5863.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 79
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The incomparable Buddy Rich of course. I will never forget that quick 30sec solo on the Tonight Show in 1980 at the end of the show. He was the final guest ending the show. At 63 years old he came out with a technical display so perfectly executed it was beautiful music. Just mind boggling. Impossible to describe his talent in words.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.