Funeral songs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Always look on the bright side of life

By Eric Idle, from "Monty Python's Meaning of Life" (and Jack Nickelson in "As Good As It Gets"), always makes me feel better.

Here's a handful of my picks (maybe not for an actual funeral, but good to listen to while thinking of a lost one)

Classical:
"Requiem" by Amadeus Mozart
"Adagio For Strings" by Samuel Barber

Country/Alt Country:
"So Long" by The Handsome Family
"We Live A Long Time To Get Old" redone by Robbie Fulks
"Unchained" by Johnny Cash
"Steal The Crumbs" by Uncle Tupelo
"He Stopped Loving Her Today" by George Jones

Rock/Ect...
"All Alone" by Mad Season
"In My Time Of Dying" by Led Zeppelin
"Fade To Black" by Metallica
"That Day Is Done" by Elvis Costello
"Lucky Day" by Tom Waits
"(Wish I Could) Hideaway" by CCR

"I Wish I was In New Orleans" by Tom Waits
For the victims of hurricane Katrina.

:bawling:

Just in case you're planning to have a funeral... in a church... like a memorial mass, you had best plan your selections from the hymnal. It may be YOUR funeral but it's THE CHURCH.

Having just been through this, selections are limited to the liturgical works. The secular stuff is "no can do".

Requested "A Mighty Fortress is Our God". Got the "Catholic" rendition. Still the same Bach tune, but no Luther was to be sung that day.

Just a word to the wise....

Konnichiwa,

chipco3434 said:
Just in case you're planning to have a funeral... in a church... like a memorial mass, you had best plan your selections from the hymnal. It may be YOUR funeral but it's THE CHURCH.

Well, given that I do not set my foot into the temple that has been spoiled by the money changers and those who shut up the door of the kingdom of heaven before all men, I sincerly object to being dragged in their after I passed out of this plane of existence, I might have to come back from the dead, get up and walk out if anyone tries that one on me...

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

wintermute said:
My sister told me she wants Alan Parsons Project "Old and Wise"

I think it is a really good choice :)

Excellent one.

For me, I'm life I am larger than life and rather enjoy it, so I see no point giving that up merely because life has departed....

Meanwhile the Funeral Hymn for the Norwegian Blue Parrot that died in the UK Quarantine of Bird Flu

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

would have to be the earlier cited "Allways look on the bright side" after a formal and grave reading of the Parrot Skit.

Sayonara

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,
Meanwhile the Funeral Hymn for the Norwegian Blue Parrot that died in the UK Quarantine of Bird Flu

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

To quote John Cleese "It's not dead, it's just resting". MPFC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.