Require Instrument Samples

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I face considerable difficulty in identifying the different types of musical instruments playing in bands. And this prevents me from intelligently discusssing the character of songs and the instrumentation used therein.

For eg. in Sting's 'Thousand Years', I do not know what instrument produces the deep bass that introduces this song. Same with Dido's 'Isobel'.

Can anyone please suggest sites where I could obtain free samples (just 10 to 20 secs) of various types of musical instruments. Or alternatively some way of generating them electronically using a computer.

Thanks in advance.

How about having a DVD player? (or simpler, music VCD?). To find out the quality of your loudspeaker, you'll also need to see the "connection" between the sound and the image in live performance. The image will show you things such as spirit, joy, shy, trembling, being in a hall, being in open place (field) with thousands of fans down the stage, etc, and the speaker should produce those information. If not, you will feel the disconnection between the image and the sound.

I know - this is not a direct answer to your question. But, of course, it can’t be recommended enough to go and listen to real live music. The outcome is threefold: 1) you learn the sound of the different instruments, 2) the recollection of live music is the best possible reference when assessing hifi equipment 3), the pleasure of the artistic performance.

Actually some “audiophiles” would turn down live sound as not being HiFi!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.