Merged thread of demo songs, tracks and CDs

I just love these lists on every board I post on...

K.D.Lang - Save Me (Ingenue)

I love her voice, and the recording is amazing

Bjork - Heirloom (Vespertine)

I like the simple drums and fat bass synth used in this song

Bjork - Scatterheart (Selmasongs)

Front 242 - No More-No More (Pulse)

3D Envelopment at its best!

Bone Thugs in Harmony - E 1999 (E 1999 Eternal)

Thug music....excellent vocals - not crushed like most urban music - Awesome low end

Aphex Twin - Gwely Mernans (Drukqs Disc1)

Woofer Workout...Plus incredible 3D envelopment

Nine Inch Nails - Piggy (Downward Spiral)

Crushed drums at the end.....1990s take on "The Air Tonight"

Tracey Thorn - A-Z (Out of the Woods)

Low end for days...deep and fat! Plus gotta love her voice

Air - Spacemaker (Pocket Symphony)

Channel check....if the guitar isn't in the left speaker...it's swapped - plus it is just a beautiful song and beautiful mix of acoustic and electronic music

Of course all of the hi-fi tweaker standards(excluding "audiophile" recordings)

- Diana Krall, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Tori Amos (love her Scarlet's Walk CD), Peter Gabriel, Steely Dan

paulb said:
Alison Krauss & Union Station: Let Me Touch You For Awhile
Haunting.

bingo! (no chance she'd be leaving any dance alone)

a single reference track is a bit of a stretch, but I have narrowed it down to a few, in no particular order:

Bela Fleck - "flight of the Cosmic Hippo"

Jim Byrnes "Love is just a gamble" (you said you wanted it "raw", did you?)

Wailin Jennys - virtually any track from either "40 days" or "Firecracker", but Apocalypse Melody or Prairietown would have to be at the top of the list

Rodrigo y Gabriela - "Stairway to Heaven" an acoustic masterpiece, followed by a stellar version of "Orion"

Kevin Mahogany - "Since I fell for you" (Double Rainbow)

Holly Cole "Temptation"

Loreena McKennitt - where to start, virtually anything from Nights from the Alhambra, but I'd start with "Minstrel's Dream", "Penelope's Song", "Dante's prayer" - if these don't bring a tear to your eye, consult your opthamologist.

Among the many other great ideas here:

Miles Davis - Blue in Green (on Kind of Blue) - not sure what I like about it except everything. It will sound truly transcendent on a good system.
Holly Cole - Purple Avenue
Bill Evans - The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings (the 3 disc complete session). Jazz trio with GORGEOUS bass (not for low frequency, but listen to the string vibrations, harmonics, etc.), classic Bill Evans piano.
Chris Smither - Esp. Driver you home again for what seems to be difficult bass, and Live as I'll Ever Be for clarity and dynamics.
Bonnie Raitt - Storm Warning
Robert Lucas - Usin' Man Blues - difficult to make it sound good, but when it's good, it's really good.
Eric Satie - classical piano the Gymnopédie pieces, (I only have the Daniel Varsano recording, so there may be better ones.
Diana Krall - Popsicle Toes
Edward Gerhard - Howl (on Luna). Nice guitar song, with interesting use of harmonics and nice squeaks of fingers on strings. Clarity!
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Roxy Music - Avalon
Then there's Lyle Lovett, Joshua Judges Ruth, which is supposed to be a classic audiophile album but I haven't listened to it...yet.

And how about songs or albums that sound TERRIBLE on a good system. Why not test a system this way? I've done it, particularly with one album I love but I haven't heard a good system treat well. I think the production is bad, so I've only heard this sound at all good on a bad or mediocre system:
John Hiatt - Stolen Moments (the album)

OK! I found it! ... The best test song possible and it is not even that esoteric.

Led Zeppelin - "Stairway to Heaven" :D

BUT this version on this disc is way different! This is the only published 24-bit version of the album original. To hear it you have to go to the very end of this really fine concert DVD video disc, about where "they have left the building" and are heading back home ... suddenly this totally remastered Dolby 5.1 24-bit/48k version of "Stairway ... " begins and goes way past the ending credits and the Warner Brothers' logo ... set your dvd player sound to stunning stereo for the best effect and turn it up, man ... :D :D :D

D'sound :Green Eyes
Vely wely easy.
RHCP :
Shallow by tye
Vely wely ragy melody
Luther vandross the newest
velly happy oldy
and... for this last 5 years, at least twice a week :
bjork ( that old blue cd, thks for that small font i can't read anything )
i love isobel ( thats close to my GF's name :) )
somebody can tell me where i can find the pink CD of bjork at Indonesia? ( tittle : post ) i own the cassete, traped in the player

My favorite, so far is by The Icelandic Twins - Waith Pinned to the Mist. You probably better know it as the Outback Steakhouse theme song. Great bass and crystal clear highs all at the same time.

However, after reading this thread, There are a few new ones I plan on breaking in my new speakers with.

Thanks

Blue Man Group

Blue Man Group With Dave Matthews - Sing Along.

Now this track has been my favorite for sometime.
The vocals of Dave are deep & Crystal Clear.

The Custom made instruments used by the Blue men are quite intriguing.

Deep Bass, The PVC tubes, Strings & Whips, WOW! Just amazing!

All this mixed in a DTS 96/24 5.1 track is just awesome & a feeling that could leave you wanting for more.

OK, two more, this time specifically for vinyl:

Carpet of the Sun by Renaissance (1970s) - Has very difficult "s" sounds on and off throughout, and in my system, any improper TT setup tends to make it scratchy.

I Got the News by Steely Dan - Again, the "s" sounds as well as "v" sounds, especially in the bridge really test tracking.

Carl