Merged thread of demo songs, tracks and CDs

I probably posted this elsewhere:

For comparisons between CD playback, DVD-A playback and high quality LP ... and testing for speaker response 'tween low levels and that fatter, bigger sound: Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" ... an old Muddy and a very young Buddy Guy doing blues duets.

DVD-A: http://www.classicrecords.com/item.cfm?item=HDAD 2008 ..."this true 24 / 96 and 24/192 transfer will bring the intimate and spooky studio production further into your listening room ..."

CD: http://www.amazon.com/Folk-Singer-Muddy-Waters/dp/B00000JNOJ/ ..."the surprisingly clean recording, made even cleaner by the digital remastering ..."

LP: http://www.classicrecords.com/item.cfm?item=CHS 1483-200G ..."The most talked about "true audiophile" blues recordings ever. ..."

:cool:

hmmm, interesting thread. Some great music!

let's see:
Erasure - Pop (greatest hits) - "Oh l'amour" and others...
- very dynamic with some good vocals and great tunes

10000 Maniacs - In My tribe - "Verdi Cries"
- Natalie Merchant, love her voice. A bit of piano and cello, pretty soft

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (Iz) - Facing Future - the whole album
- simply amazing voice , and the music is great too. Nice ukulele...

when there's a 'table, some Rickie Lee Jones, and the Beatles White Album ;-)

I've turned on at least 3 or 4 people to both Erasure and Iz while I was auditioning speakers...

wait, I think I hear the music calling. Gotta go.

-CK

" ... some Rickie Lee Jones, and the Beatles White Album ;-) ..."

Even better = "Love" album redux / remix of the original Beatles' masters by Sir George Martin & son = the DVD-A disc is all 24 bit / 96K dolby 5.1 ... you have never heard it this good = better than the original LPs with lots of new stuff never public. :cool:

"Love" album redux / remix of the original Beatles' masters by Sir George Martin & son = the DVD-A disc is all 24 bit / 96K dolby 5.1 ... you have never heard it this good = better than the original LPs with lots of new stuff never public. ..."

Tests for 24 bit / 96K playback with Dolby 5.1 ... you can hear the difference between the DVD-A and the CD (same music on each, both discs are in the package), and, yes, you really can hear the difference between CD and DVD-A (and if you can't, your equipment is just not makin' it).

Testing for speaker response 'tween low levels and that fatter, bigger sound: Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" ... an old Muddy and a very young Buddy Guy doing blues duets.

DVD-A: http://www.classicrecords.com/item.cfm?item=HDAD 2008 ..."this true 24 / 96 and 24/192 transfer will bring the intimate and spooky studio production further into your listening room ..."

CD: http://www.amazon.com/Folk-Singer-M.../dp/B00000JNOJ/ ..."the surprisingly clean recording, made even cleaner by the digital remastering ..."

LP: http://www.classicrecords.com/item....S 1483-200G ..."The most talked about "true audiophile" blues recordings ever. ..."

Comparing the LP with the DVD-A = very little difference unless you have that $mucho denaro$ turntable & cartridge. The CD is for comparison with the LP & DVD-A, just so's you know what your missin' in your other CDs. :rolleyes:

This is a whole lot more than just my opinion ... this is measurable with test equipment, easily distinguishable by me, you or anybody ... with or without the "golden ear".

Test Song???

I read this thread and it makes me smile.:) Great tunes have been listed and federico moreno listed Thomas Dolby's Dissidents ! Rodeodave listed Aphex Twin's Ventolin !!(with a cautionary notice:D)

You guys are nerds & music geeks! I love it. Here is some "must have" material for the DIY Audio builder enthusiast geek and nerd crowd:

ACOUSTICA Alarm Will Sound performs Aphex Twin
Instruments playing on this recording: Flute, piccolo, curtain rods, oboe, English horn clarinet, bass clarinet, sax, bassoon, horsoon, jew's harp, duck call, trombone, steel drums, air pumps, mbira, piano, engraving tool, tamburra, cocktail stirrer kalimba, loads of percussion and many many more.

It is a very stimulating set of tracks and may challenge the average listener but for music nerds it is a must have. Sonically it is a bit of a blur as it was put together far too swiftly and it shows on playback but there are wonderful sonic experiences in this recording that could be enjoyed by many. It is hard to describe but while listening to this recording at medium to high levels part of your brain may be realigned. :) If you experience this with a smile, then you are one step closer to Richard D. James aka Aphex Twin. Aphex Twin is a very difficult listen for most folks and you kind of need to have an attention deficit to get into it. Either that or you are into experimental drug use.:hypno1: Again sonics are good but at times there is clipping and or saturation and that pisses me off a bit but then there are very clear moments that are worth the wait. I think this recording is a must for many and after a few plays on your reference system you will be able to use some of these tracks in your bench mark listening. I wish it would be remastered and re-released. A vinyl copy...:sigh: I wish.

Test song...oh yeah back to that. My all time fav test track is from Thomas Dolby's The Flat Earth and the track is "I Scare Myself". This is the one song, of the many that I love, that I can truly make audio system critique or evaluation. I had the vinyl way back and have since replaced it twice with a special order Japanese import under the Past Masters CD editions. This track is the embodiment of 20Hz to 20 kHz sounding full, open, true & dynamic. The tiniest flaws are difficult to hear but once you find them they become part of the curriculum for gear under listening tests. If you can hear the background on this track then you are listening to a system above average. I think this track is a wonderful song with a wonderful lyric. If I could only delete the last track off the album? The final track is not a bad one, it just doesn't belong on this album.

Check it out and post your thoughts.

Cheers,

Shawn.

For many years I've used the Robert Plant CD "Now and Zen" as my ultimate measure of dynamic range and impact, especially track 1 "Heaven Knows". Also track 7 "Ship of Fools" for nuance and accuracy.

Any Dire Straits CD as reference. In looking through the thread, they may be the number one overall choice! :cool:

9anda1f

I use these songs for testing, and for these reasons:

1. "You & Your Friend" (Dire Straits) - If the Dobro (about halfway thru) doesn't cause chills to run up and down your back ... you don't deserve to have feelings anyway.

2. "She Blinded Me With Science" (Thomas Dolby) - This is one of the most dynamic tracks ever recorded.

3. "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" (Yes) - Great dyanmics, with sudden transistions that can really test how fast your speakers respond.

4. "Oreo Cookie Blues" (Lonnie Mack & Stevie Ray Vaughn) - Three guys playing three different guitars, plus funny lyrics. Add to the mix a voice that sounds like water running over gravel, and you've got one fantastic test song.

5. "Crazy River" (Robby Robertson) - An eclectic "Cajun" ghost story with several distinctive voices on the track and outstanding imaging.

Larry

Dire Straits dual disc = "2-Sided Disc: CD & 5.1 Suround Sound DVD-A ... 24-bit High Resolution Digital Remastering ... 2006 Grammy Award Winner for Best Surround Sound Album! ... "
optical discs: http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WEADD49377
180 gm double LP: http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WEALP49377

Robby Robertson / The Band on DVD-Video with excellent sound track = "The Last Waltz"
http://www.amazon.com/Last-Waltz-Band/dp/B00003CXB1/

My wife's favorite = we play this about twice a month. Many artists inc. The Band, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton and an outstanding early performance by Van Morrison ... Neil Young also does an unusually good job ... more! ... Bob Dylan unfortunatey was not in a great mood, but the finally is worth the wait ... :D

Hello everyone,

I have several that put the demo system up to a challenge. They are:

Tears for Fears "Sowing the Seeds of Love" disk has "Famous last words" (amazing dynamics) and "Woman in Chains" and "Standing on the Corner of the Third World".

Josh Rouse from "Dressed up Like Nebraska" disk has a great test for crispness and floor toms "Suburban Sweetheart".

Nektar "Remember the future" the whole disk is just a run through everything but only the Latest remastered productions since 2002 and the stereo version (Bellaphon I think). I started a thread with a hyperlink to where you can hear the whole album. Look for it.

Rush "Grace Under Pressure" the song "Red Lenses" has some surprises that if you don't notice... don't buy it (whatever you're testing).

Sting many songs from both: "Soul Cages" and "Nothing Like the Sun". nice mic-ing excellent timbre

Joe Jackson "Body and Soul" many tracks excellent recording production

Joan Armatrading song "Love and Affection".

Joni Mitchell "Heijera" most tracks very dynamic.

James Taylor "Copperline" many tracks well rounded

Dave Matthews Band does an excellent job with their production on most of their live stuff.

Peter Gabriel "Us" and "So" have some tracks where the texture of his voice will put you over the top or force you to upgrade. This puts the midrange to the test

Carlos Nakai and Peter Kater "Natives" The whole disk is just a piano and flutes and chanting, done mostly in one take. Not much processing and very natural and neutral.

That's enough for now but all these add up to the sum of what I consider a well rounded system or Mod.

Happy Modding (and listening)

Regards//Keith

I'm sorry, since my last post, my conscience has shamed me into posting something else that will push your demo to the limit.

Appropriately last as in Z:

TifyT!

Frank Zappa from "Weasels ripped my flesh" The track "Didja get any onya?" is a fusion jazzy african everything piece that goes all over the place and will test everything.

And,

from "One size fits all" tracks "Sofa 1" and "Sofa 2" are a test for Bass so deep it will make your house go wocka wocka like that of a huge pipe organ! Hopefully your speakers can represent enough of this to appreciate these tracks!

OK, I feel better now. Try any of these (or the ones from my previous post) to test the trait associated with the CDs or songs on your system or Mods. I hope you agree with my assessments. Good luck!

Regards//Keith

I recently started using Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" as a "test" for shaking out the bugs, "burn in" of new amps and speakers. BUT not the regular CD, the much better SACD version ... old tunes, almost memorized by many of us old timers, so when we hear it we can spot differences in equipment ... :D

(Who would have ever guessed that any Pink Floyd tunes would ever become "old favorites and old stand bys" ... )