Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2011, 03:12 AM   #371
diyAudio Member

Alan Parsons - Eye In The Sky
Stepenwolfe - Der Earsplittenloudenboomer
Doors - Morrison Hotel
Savoy Brown - Raw Sienna
Pat Metheny (With Lyle Mays) - -White album-
Stanley Jordan - Magic Touch
Quarterflash - Back Into Blue
Quicksilver - Happy Trails
Joe Satriani - Time Machine (Echo)
Boz Skaggs - Runnin Blue
Cold Blood - Cold Blood
Al Stewart - Year of Cat (Only a few cuts for dynamic range before it gets repetative)
All vinyl.
Doc
Old 29th September 2011, 09:47 AM   #372
aypo is offline aypo  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

guys, i just couldn't resist. i usually listen to soundtracks and so on, but the new globus - break from this world, is just a perfect match for my ears. i definitely recommend it. btw, the epicon from them is just as good
Old 29th September 2011, 11:39 AM   #373
diyAudio Member

I've always been towards the purist end of the hifi world, favouring acoustic instrument recordings without excessive control-room manipulation besides what multi-mic'ing requires.

So, I have always supposed that pop recordings, such as show up quite a bit on this thread, are not of much value as demo inputs because the hand of the recording engineer has (or might have) manipulated the sound. There is no real or objective reference with which to compare the reproduced sound to - unless you have in mind the sound in arena concerts or open stadiums.

Can someone please help me understand how such pop recordings can be used as demos.

Ben
Old 29th September 2011, 06:27 PM   #374
diyAudio Member

For accoustic my favorite test is Alex Degrassi - Southern Exposure.
Doc
Old 29th September 2011, 06:29 PM   #375
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
I've always been towards the purist end of the hifi world, favouring acoustic instrument recordings without excessive control-room manipulation besides what multi-mic'ing requires.

So, I have always supposed that pop recordings, such as show up quite a bit on this thread, are not of much value as demo inputs because the hand of the recording engineer has (or might have) manipulated the sound. There is no real or objective reference with which to compare the reproduced sound to - unless you have in mind the sound in arena concerts or open stadiums.

Can someone please help me understand how such pop recordings can be used as demos.
These are two different things - both are artifacts of human ingenuity and culture. A photograph is the same thing, and a painting too. Neither is any worse than the other, nor would I want to live without either.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:04 PM   #376
diyAudio Member

I appreciate it that you understood my question was asked sincerely.

Noting your reply - nothing for me to argue with there. But it doesn't address the DIYer issue: if the bass sounds great on a certain pop record, is it because my woofer is wonderful or is it because the engineer cranked up the bass to make 10-million iPod listeners happy?

On a recording of a symphony, there is reason to believe the engineer tried to capture bass and treble similar to their live balance. I am not naive enough to believe this entirely, but as an approximation of the engineer's purpose.

Ben

Last edited by bentoronto; 29th September 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 29th September 2011, 08:00 PM   #377
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Ben
Well, there's always the familiarity issue. The more familiar you are with a piece, the more you can detect nuances from different equipment. With Classical, I find there are so many recordings and variations of specific music that I can't settle on any one for long. But with Pop (Jazz too to a certain degree), there's usually one or two versions of a song worth listening to.

Now, with a very familiar song, I have the chance to actually notice the difference those pricey nude foil resistors have on the input of my phono stage.

Just a thought.
Old 25th February 2012, 05:11 AM   #378
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

For all you pipe organ fans. These will give your speakers a workout. Direct to disc recordings.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 29th February 2012, 11:51 AM   #379
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axp31 View Post
i don't like this CD because it has too much sibilance i.e. "..ssss" sound on diana's voice.
or is it my system fault? (arcam delta 290 + 1990 denon cd player + psb speakers)
ts not the amp or the player , tweeters maybe ?
Old 29th February 2012, 11:55 AM   #380
diyAudio Member

Dave Matthews " behind these crowded streets " , i use it to setup my system when i make changes , mainly to do with bass .

Last edited by lduarte1973; 29th February 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!