Merged thread of demo songs, tracks and CDs - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2010, 05:44 PM   #311
diyAudio Member

Sass Jordan - You don't have to remind me off the "Racine" album.

This is an excellent track. starts off with acoustic guitar, I listen for full body and clean string pick sounds. then Sass starts singing. her voice is a bit raspy and i know in 5 seconds if the system has it or not. her voice falls into a difficult range and a speaker will instantly sound thin or muddy or if it is a pa instantly you know if the horns are right. it will absolutely kill a bad speaker system. THEN the band kicks in loud! I listen for it to sound strained or fatiguing at that point.

Milla Jovovich - The Divine Comedy. very well recorded cd. deep bass, good imaging. sucks you right into the mix.

Toy Matinee - recorded on analog with Dolby SR. great album. this is a pre MP3 craze recording. very clean.

Bella Fleck - Flight of the cosmic Hippo. careful with this track. lesser speakers might just have there woofer cones fall out and flop around on the floor. and if the woofers survive, then the intense transients of the banjo plucks might vaporize a tweeter instantly!

Dallas Wind Symphony - Tritico. good bass, spacious imaging, listen for straining on the full orchestra parts
Old 16th April 2010, 06:25 PM   #312
diyAudio Member

Transformers on Blu-Ray

The Weavers Reunion Concert at Carnegie Hall
Old 16th April 2010, 08:17 PM   #313
diyAudio Member

Hayseed Dixie.
Acoustic instruments, no compression, no eq, no mastering.
Old 17th April 2010, 01:36 AM   #314
diyAudio Member

Which of Hayseed Dixie's CDs?
Old 17th April 2010, 02:28 AM   #315
diyAudio Member

IMO, the specifics may not be as important as the what. I use a lot of male and female vocals, without much complex background. This exposes resonances very quickly. Much recorded bass is very processed and unnatural.

Everybody uses Dire Straits, and I love the music, but think it's lousy for evaluation. There's a Sheffield record/CD that's much better for testing the impact and low frequencies. It's a combo CD of The Sheffield Drum Record and The Sheffield Track Record. Google should find it.

Some well worn test albums include Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat and Joan Baez Diamonds and Rust. Nellie McKay Get Away From Me has some revealing piano, plus it's fun to listen to. Vastly more obscure, when Frankie Laine sings "...cause I'm a rover who has crossed over", and chuckles slightly, in Sunny Side of the Street, on one of his greatest hits albums, if you can't prevent yourself from chuckling too, your system sucks.

For traditional rock, played louder than hell, I prefer Deep Purple's Perfect Stranger. Every song is about sex. Finally, there's an Archiv CD of Pachelbel, Bach, Handel & Vivaldi that's very good. 410-502-2.

Conrad
Old 17th April 2010, 06:43 AM   #316
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
Everybody uses Dire Straits, and I love the music, but think it's lousy for evaluation. There's a Sheffield record/CD that's much better for testing the impact and low frequencies. It's a combo CD of The Sheffield Drum Record and The Sheffield Track Record. Google should find it.

Conrad
I strongly advise you try that Radiohead track.
Here's a link
YouTube - Radiohead - In Rainbows - 15 step

While the sounds aren't exactly natural, it's nice to know if your system can play such a thing comfortably (with 14dB Linkwitz gain at those frequencies, I know my sub doesn't enjoy it).
Old 17th April 2010, 07:45 AM   #317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngalt47 View Post
Which of Hayseed Dixie's CDs?
'A Hot Piece Of Grass' and 'Weapons Of Grass Destruction' are my favourites.

The latest has got unmixed multitrack versions on it but I haven't got 'round to buying it yet. I think you will need Garage Band for that which comes free with any Mac. John Wheeler aka Barley Scotch is (part-) owner of Renaissance Studios, Nashville and, like most in the recording or movie world, a confirmed Apple user.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:57 AM   #318
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Amazon.com: Works by Nishimura Miyoshi Takemitsu Matsushita: Akira Nishimura, Akira Miyoshi, Toru Takemitsu, Isao Matsushita, Minoru Miki, Kroumata Percussion Ensemble: Music
Very silent sounds that come out of the nothing. If you have the slightest hiss, mist or noise floor it comes from your system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kroumata.jpg (19.0 KB, 256 views)
Old 27th April 2010, 10:51 AM   #319
exurbia is offline exurbia  Australia
diyAudio Member

The Reverend Horton Heat : "One time for me", and "Some Nig*ers", as it makes everyone cringe.
Juno Reactor: Pistolero
Old 4th May 2010, 01:53 PM   #320
diyAudio Member

The Waifs, Up All Night. Aussie Folk. Absolutely love it.

Tracy chapman, Fast Car.

Actually alot of that easy listening woman vocal stuff I find is great, as long as its chock full of subtle sounds from all over the spectrum.

Hide this!Advertise here!