Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2007, 03:59 AM   #191
diyAudio Member

right now, a toss up between

Band of Horses - The General Specific
or
The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour

both great, but somehow my tastes always change from month to month
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:21 PM   #192
diyAudio Member

" Any Pink Floyd, and Dream Theatre. ..."

Ditto that = last night, Pulse DVD, disc #2 the Dark Side Concert ...
Old 2nd November 2007, 04:17 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Am surprised no-one uses the 'cowboy junkies' trininity session recording
posted by Jerishi

Glad that you remembered it. It was a classic recording for reviewers everywhere in the late eighties; if I remember well, a quasi- direct to dat recording using Ambisonics processing and Calrec microphones... And one of the first really good sounding cd´s in town!
The approach was very unusual: a rock band performing live inside a church, playing ¨plugged¨ instruments, with the resultant sound captured by the Calrec omnidirectional mike.
The resulting sound is very spacious and detailed, marred a bit by a low level rumble which was caused, someone told me, by the air conditioning system in the church and for the natural acoustic resonances of the hall.
Is a very good record for evaluating low level resolution, air and midrange clarity (voices are a little recessed, but superbly portrayed).
I have one Cowboy Junkies record called ¨Studio¨, which has excerpts of ¨Trinity Sessions¨, as well as many other songs recorded with different studio techniques. Is a record that I have used a lot for sound evaluation, mainly in the areas of midrange resolution and low level detail.

Anecdotically, I remember the first time when I heard the Cowboy Junkies slow cover of Velvet Underground´s ¨Sweet Jane¨... It was on the ¨Natural Born Killers¨ movie. And I don´t know why, but the music matched perfectly the bizarre imagery of the movie.

Cheers!
Old 2nd November 2007, 05:25 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

" ... Is a very good record for evaluating low level resolution, air and midrange clarity (voices are a little recessed, but superbly portrayed). ..."

Wondering? Is this available somewhere on LP ? (Then maybe I could capture it on 24bit DVD-A so we could hear what it really sounds like ... )
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:29 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is this available somewhere on LP ?
(by FastEddy)

err..., yes:
http://www.amazon.de/Trinity-Session.../dp/B00004WQPJ

Evidently an import, so not a cheap alternative, but veeeery worthwhile.
I have read that there´s a new ¨revisited¨version on cd, dvd video; and maybe, perhaps, some hi definition media. Check out ´cause it´s very fine.

The original cd sounds good though.
I like vinyl very, very much; but sometimes I have found some stunning cd´s that sound really good.
IE, Patricia Barber´s ¨A Fortnight in France¨ -EMI, live cd- is a superb recording by any standard: you can catch a great deal of acoustic cues there - the layerings of the cheering audience (front to back), the reverb of the PA sound in the hall itself -... you can even feel the muscular playing of Ms. Barber, and the superb interplay between the band members. Dynamics are, par course, awesome.
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:55 PM   #196
diyAudio Member

" ... I have read that there´s a new ¨revisited¨version on cd, dvd video; and maybe, perhaps, some hi definition media. ..."

I'm a collector of such esoteric art ... early CDs of quality that may relate to the abysmal quality of today's overly compressed CDs (This is my favorite rant ... "CDs suck" - Bob Dylan in Rolling Stone Mag. interview).

Anyway, the availability on DVD (or SACD) is really of more interest than the LP, 'cause as nice as my equipment is, it seldom comes up to that of professional recording equipment.

Also, did you mean this DVD (plus CD)? : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trinity-Revi...dp/B000VF8R6S/ ... warning = probably PAL Zone II video requiring a Euro player or "universal" player.

Old 5th November 2007, 03:22 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

Default trinity sessions

Yes, Eddie, I think is that. I´d read about it in an obscure blog some time ago; I forgot the URL...

I agree with you in your disgust about the current vogue of overcompressing... CD, IMHO, never was a hyper-quality media -merely adequate, maybe-; excessive compression makes things worse: what once was ¨merely adequate¨ now sucks horribly. I have some discs that are intolerable, but in this age of mp3, piracy and the desire to get everything for nothing, is evident that quality has been leveled according to the lowest factor...Those bloody companies. But marketing rules everything this days.

Sad state of things, but...what can we do?
I really don´t want any more formats. Such a mess, and the expenses... it´s obscene!! I´m very tired for that, really.
Why can´t they do itright?
It´s only a cd, man... not rocket science!!

Anyway, I´m a ¨vinyl hunter¨ this days. Sometimes I indulge in cd´s as ¨guilty pleasures¨, but seldom can find one that shows what the format is capable of. So, the ¨guilty
pleasure¨ turns into some kind of masochist exercise. And it´s the music that suffers the most.
I have a reasonable system, but once that a compressed cd enters your system, quality don´t matter anymore: all sounds the same: like bad examples of vintage cd´s, ca. 1985, but LOUDER!!!
Old 12th November 2007, 04:14 AM   #198
ssmith is offline ssmith  France
diyAudio Member

Default test tracks

The first test track I always run is a bit of a dull one, from a Chesky records audiophile test disc: Left/right imaging test -- 'my voice should now sound like it's coming from the left speaker....'

Very useful as in the past I've gone several days with the channels the wrong way around....
Old 15th November 2007, 02:39 AM   #199
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Fire Starter – Prodigy
Sandblasted Skin – Pantera
Make it Rain – The KLF
Floods - Pantera
Am I Evil & The Small hours (Metallica covers)
Better Things - Massive Attack
Army Of Me - Bjork
Old 27th November 2007, 03:29 PM   #200
diyAudio Member

Diana Krall - Temptation
Jennifer Warnes - Rock you gently & Way down deep
Jack Johnson - Sexy Plexy
Dire Straits - Telegraph Road
Eagles - Hotel California (Live, Hell freezes over)

All guarenteed to rock any system!

Hide this!Advertise here!