Merged thread of demo songs, tracks and CDs

Well I have a lot of Audiophile test discs, and all sounds great perhaps if they played on not hi-hi equipment.
Try everything which is marked as Audiophile disc.
For example: MFSL-mobile fidelity sound lab, Sheffield lab, Burmester, Focal test discs, B&W test discs, Chesky records, StockFish records.....
and more!!!

I always use the same songs just because i like them and have listened to them every day since i first heard them- there's only a few things i look for when i hear them on a new piece of equipment...

Nirvana- Lounge Act. I listen all the way through for proper clarity, particularly at the end of the song where i can tell instantly if something is not to my liking. A lot of my systems have covered up the drums in this section, in fact i've still not heard proper seperation of instruments for the final section. If you can't hear Grohl's snare in the mix then something is going wrong imo!!

The police- roxanne/ message in a bottle. I onced owned a turntable and these were the only records i owned. I'm still looking for something to recreate the sound of the records... the drums sounded so real, especially the hi-hat. Most CD recordings of hi-hats sound noticably bad to my ears, more so than anything else.

The Killers- Mr. Brightside- i know, i know, it's a horrible recording. But i love this song and i'm just crossing my fingers it will eventually sound good on something!!

p.s. yes i play the drums lol

Bob Marley and the Wailers - at the Rainbow ... remastered by Abbey Road Interactive ... and someone did a fabulous job of recording this live concert on multi-channel tape, and Sir George Martin's company doing the remastering to digital 24 bit/96k ... The video is strictly from the 1970's NTSC, but very well directed without all the camera shaking of the usual hand held work.

The audio conversion to 5.1 and digital stereo is superb ... none better. This is a must have for any fan of reggae and a must have for the audiophile ... :cool: :cool: :cool:

fraserh said:
The Killers- Mr. Brightside- i know, i know, it's a horrible recording. But i love this song and i'm just crossing my fingers it will eventually sound good on something!!

Have a listen to David Bowie's Queen Bitch if you want a good version of Mr. Brightside (that also happens to predate it by about 35 years).

edit: *****= female canine.

I find Lying From you by Linkin Park good - it can be difficult to pick out all the bass except from a decent subwoofer, and it also has fairly busy bass, meaning some can get lost in equilisation (or it does on my friend's home-cinema).

Gently by Slipknot is a good one - listen to the cymbal at the start for realisticness

Also try Migra by Carlos Santana for drums, vocals and guitar

Last one: Private Investigations by Dire Straits, again vocals and guitar

Anyone else agree???

Billy Bragg and Wilco recorded an album together, "Mermaid Avenue", in 1997 I think. It's a really, really good album and it sounds really nice. It's live sounding, but it's obviously been recorded with great care in a studio, but still not overworked. Sounds meaty without being hazy or muddy ... etc.

It's a very satisfying listen, somehow.

It's "previously unheard" lyrics by Woody Guthrie, it's an interesting piece, the Wikipedia link is pretty good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid_Avenue