Merged thread of demo songs, tracks and CDs - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2006, 03:31 PM   #111
kharp is offline kharp  United States
diyAudio Member

Flim & the BB's "Tricycle" off disc of same name, great dynamic range!

Dire Straits "Your Latest Trick", "One World"

The Roches for vocals, along with Diana Krall.

I also really like James Taylors October Road disc, especially Track-9, "Carry Me On My Way".

I love the DVD of Stings performance in Tuscany entitled "All This Time." Excellent Recording...too bad his audio discs don't sound half as good.

Sometimes, when testing equipment, I'll put on a couple of songs that I've noticed over the years having some "odd sounds" in them. Example: "I Don't Know Much" from Aaron Neville and Linda Rondstadt. In the beginning of the song you can here Aaron licking his lips. Also, in the same sorta weird way, there is a track on Natalie Merchants "Ophelia" disc...#5 "My Skin" that has some sort of weird noise (at times) just under the surface. Breathy, in a way. Not sure what it is. I know...I'm weird
Old 29th July 2006, 03:46 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

No you're not wierd. Those little imperfections are exactly what adds to the realism of a recording.

Check out Eve Cassidy's "I know you by heart" youll hear a clear poping on the left channel that reminds you of an old LP at first but it's actually her long fingernails on the guitar.

A more "commercial" engineer would have dubbed over it. As it stands it is an outstanding recording. Very real sounding.
Old 29th July 2006, 10:35 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Talk Talk, The Colour of Spring, Track #1 Happiness Is Easy and then track 2 if you have time.
Old 29th July 2006, 11:04 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by indefatigable
Talk Talk, The Colour of Spring, Track #1 Happiness Is Easy and then track 2 if you have time.
wow that takes me back.... I heard that live at a gig in Bradford, UK... Dollar and Dimes I think the venue was.... fantastic live band!
Old 31st July 2006, 03:11 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Posted by Indefatigable

Wow, that`s a hell of an album.
A nice, clean, warm sound. And the music...

Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are beautiful stuff too, with nicely recorded sparse instrumentation. Better in vinyl,IMHO...
Old 1st August 2006, 02:31 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Only one?

Quote:
Originally posted by haiqu
Béla Fleck, UFO TOFU, track 6 - "Ufo Tofu"
Great track. I tend to use "Sinister Minister" from the (double) "Live Art" (Béla Fleck and the Flectones) - or sometimes the next track (Hippo) where Béla is playing the audience...
Or, "Easy Money" from "Rickie Lee Jones" (Rickie Lee Jones)
Or, "Everybody Play the Fool" from "Warm Your Heart" (Aaron Neville)

But there are some many to choose from that I tend to take along a number of disks and then also let the shop dudes try out their tracks as well.
Old 1st August 2006, 06:09 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Test your imaging by putting on Lou Reed's "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" from Transformer. The backing singers start, well, in the background and end up at the last chorus right in your face. There is a rich, very deep stand-up bass for dessert.
Old 1st August 2006, 08:22 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Wow, this thread just veered very close to me.

I just picked up Flim and the BBs "tricycle" for a buck at a thrift shop two weeks ago and was just showing it off to my brother a couple of days back. It was one of those, "sit back .... are you ready for this?"
moments. Turn up the volume just enought to maximise the "startling" effect when the instruments come in. The liner notes indicated that they made this recording with just that idea of showcasing dynamics.

And as if that wasn't enough, up comes the mention of Talk Talk "The Colour of Spring". Heard "Life's What You Make It" on the radio in my first year of college in 88. Raced out and bought the CD (at that time having to agonize over buying the cd or the vinyl) and it practically became the soundtrack to my college years. How wonderful it is to find others who loved it like I have.
Old 1st August 2006, 11:34 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Default Flim & the BB's

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebeard
Wow, this thread just veered very close to me.

I just picked up Flim and the BBs "tricycle" for a buck at a thrift shop two weeks ago and was just showing it off to my brother a couple of days back. It was one of those, "sit back .... are you ready for this?"
moments. Turn up the volume just enought to maximise the "startling" effect when the instruments come in. The liner notes indicated that they made this recording with just that idea of showcasing dynamics.

And as if that wasn't enough, up comes the mention of Talk Talk "The Colour of Spring". Heard "Life's What You Make It" on the radio in my first year of college in 88. Raced out and bought the CD (at that time having to agonize over buying the cd or the vinyl) and it practically became the soundtrack to my college years. How wonderful it is to find others who loved it like I have.

Try "FunHouse" off of their Big Notes album, if your subs will stand it...
Old 2nd August 2006, 06:11 PM   #120
kvholio is offline kvholio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

TalkTalk brings back highschool-memories.. played it into oblivion then and i can still enjoy it now from time to time.
Another one from the same era: Joe Jackson-Body and soul

Klaas

Hide this!Advertise here!