Merged thread of demo songs, tracks and CDs - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2006, 06:41 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Great thread!!!

Best I've heard yet is Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Ally"

When you listen to it on good system, you keep waiting for the waitress to take your order!

Very real sounding!!
Old 16th July 2006, 06:44 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Most modern recordings are done with far too many microphones which are mixed into some artificial mess which doesn't sound very real at all. At the same time there are many old mono recordings done with just one microphone which capture the acoustics so realistically that one can hardly believe it is mono. Using the same method with modern recording equipment should be able to give a very good result. Still, a stereo recording can of course be much better, if they can just keep it down to two or maybe three microphones and do minimal mixing, as was done with many of the early stereo recordings. Some still do it that way, but not many.
I agree 1000%
Old 17th July 2006, 03:28 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Default good recordings

Quote:
The best and the real recording I ever heard is an amateur recordingl, with just one mic and portable DAT recorder to catch some acoustic traditional performance........ can believe my ear!!
Yes, sometimes less is more. There are a lot of recording engineers in love with the gear, but divorced of the music.

A recording with nice ambience is Cowboy Junkies ¨Trinity Sessions¨ cd -a bonafide reviewer´s classic-; it was recorded via a pair of Calrec microphones, Ambisonic processed to a DAT, in a little chappel, if I remember well.
The electric instruments are played ¨plugged¨, so in some instances you`re hearing the speakers of the guitar amps...; is a nice experience, ´cause the recording is good and with lots of ambience.
Another good example of different recording techniques is the Cowboy Junkies compilation ¨Studio-Selected Studio Recordings 1986-1995¨ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

With good insight in dissimilar studio work, and has some excerpts from ¨The Trinity Sessions¨
Old 19th July 2006, 10:40 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Default Wow!

I have just been listening to Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Alley", recommended in post 50.

This is an amazing recording but Stormy Monday (cut #2) is incredible!
Old 19th July 2006, 11:30 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

It's by far the best recording AND performance I've ever heard.
Old 19th July 2006, 11:55 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Anything from AIX recording- all high res stuff/DVD-A. Not only sounds amazing but good variety as well. Small catalog, though.
Old 20th July 2006, 12:42 PM   #107
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

"Susan's House" by the Eels on 45.

But for complete realism, Georges Pludermacher playing Debussy's "Suite Bergamasque" on Harmonia Mundi. This is the best-sounding piano recording I've ever heard (and I own hundreds) - I only wish it were available on LP.
Old 20th July 2006, 01:27 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

"Anything by Joni Mitchell."

How about "Don Juans Reckless Daughter"? And especially for fans of Jaco Pastorius. Deep, lush, snap and pluck of strings, tight drum, soaring horn, amazing depth - blah blah - ... it's almost exaggeratedly dynamic (is that possible?). Always been my favorite album for testing/showing off. Never bought the CD though. I'm almost afraid I'd have to be disappointed.
Old 26th July 2006, 06:56 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

I enjoy using Metallica's And Justice for All cd. The songs And Justice for All and Eye of the Beholder need good speakers and amp hooked up to them or else they sound like badness when played loud. Its hard to explain what it sounds like when its played through bad equipment, but it distorts the bass.
Old 26th July 2006, 10:21 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Check out:

Cassandre Mckinley

I love the first two tracks (Trouble Man & I Want You).

Hide this!Advertise here!