Classics from Sinatra Nat King Cole

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I became a fan of this type of music through Diana Krall, but that's okay I'm not that old. So here's the deal, I want to hear the way the old greats did these songs so that I can better understand and hopefully appreciate the new versions. The problem is that i don't want to buy CDs and then find out that the recordings are terrible. I don't expect them to be on the same level as a modern recording of high fidelity, but I want the best available. Sinatra and Cole are the two artists I'm most interested in, but anything else in thsi direction is welcome.

I thought the quality of the recording for the following two CD are pretty good.

1) Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington (The Great Summit/ The Master Takes)
2) Best of Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong on Verve.

I like the music and I'm not that old either.

Check out Basie with Sinatra "Live at the Sands". That's a classic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...r=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/103-5786210-6157444?n=5174

Also, one of my favorites is Sarah Vaughn "Birdland". Some of the songs are weak, but the good ones are really great. And the title song just swings like nobody's business.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7/103-5786210-6157444?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

Also Ella Fitzgerald "Fine and Mellow" from the mid-1970s. "Lucky So and So" from that record just kicks butt - what a groove those guys get! Louie Bellson, Ray Brown, Joe Pass, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...r=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/103-5786210-6157444?n=5174

I was in a studio once and heard some Nat Cole stuff (Unforgettable, Too) and wow, the original recordings were amazing. Of course they had the best mics, best tape machines, etc. at Capitol in those days.

After getting to know some of the older material, you may, as I have, started to feel that Krall is very good but not in the league of those who came before her. She may improve with age, and get more of her own sound. Just my .02

-Karl

After getting to know some of the older material, you may, as I have, started to feel that Krall is very good but not in the league of those who came before her. She may improve with age, and get more of her own sound. Just my .02

Actually I really like her versions of everything, but I wanted to hear the originals that inspired her. I just don't want to go and buy CDs only to find that the recordings are so poor that it is painful to listen to. She could sing the ABC's and I'd be impressed.

One thing I would suggest is going to Amazon and searching for the artists in question. Then look for the 5 star albums, read the reviews, and select from there. That said, here are some Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra albums that I have and like:

Nat:
After Midnight: The Complete Session (I see that they have a remastered edition, I'll probably have to get a copy of that :)
The Billy May Sessions

Frank:
Come Dance With Me
Duets (volumn 1)

I only recommended several albums that I personally have, and know about. Looking through Amazon made me want to follow my own advice and buy some more :) Another thing you might want to consider: Any album worth re-issuing, and re-mastering after 3+ decades is probably a stellar album!

Oh, another thing, you might want to check out AllOfMp3.com, and get some higher bit rate mp3/oggs of these artists just to start off.

Tom.

My library has loads of great CDs from that era, check out yours.

Also, check out the shops that have a cheapo CD rack. I buy 4 or 5 at a time so less chance of a total disappointment. I got a Billie Holiday CD for £2 that I initially thought was terrible yet has become one of my favourites. Various throwaway live recordings of dubious sound quality and her sounding so stoned you can almost see her sliding off her stool but the magic...oh the magic...it's there even more than the 'quality' recordings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.