Bestest Debut album

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For about 30 years, my debut albym candle was lit by the regning Gods – Led Zeppelin.

Now I can’t play the (belatedly discoveered) White Stripes debut for more than 5 secs :redhot: afore the air guitar comes out spontanesously. Man, it doesn’t get much better than this.
:devilr:
Finally I find an album that outrocks what my teenage sons are playing, like 24/7. :headshot:

BTW Have you seen the WS website www.whitestripes.com/? :cool:
As many logos (nine) as Zozo Zeppelin, Dread Zeppelin and Prince put together! :whazzat:

Is there really a new king of the Alltime Hard-Garage-Blues-Rock Heaven?
:confused:

When the supposedly hip Rolling Stone magazine reviewed Led Zeppelin’s first album, they basically said “to enjoy this extreme music, you need to be on drugs.”

Most other rock mags were bowled over, but RS was just a little behind the 8 ball (er like majorly). Throughout the history of LZ, they loved to take a dig at them. Guess they got that lil band all wroong. Oops guys, wha happened? :(

Anyhow, where are the Other Contenders?

One of mine

Franz Ferdinand by Franz Ferdinand (2004)

Pitchfork:

"Like all lasting records, Franz Ferdinand steps up to the plate and boldly bangs on the door to stardom. There's no consideration for what trends have just come and gone.
There's no waffling or concessions for people who won't get it. "

pinkmouse said:

I completely agree. However if you really want to talk about Björk you should list the Sugarcubes' Life's Too Good album as one of the best too.

Also - Tricky's "Maxinquaye" and Portishead's "Dummy" are up there with Debut.

As far as electronic music goes, for me it's a tie between Aphex Twin's "Selected Ambient Works 85-92" and Autechre's "Incunabula."

However on the question of the VERY BEST, I'd say there's way too much to choose from for only one to be the best. :)

Marquee Moon (1977) by Television

"a revolutionary album, but a subtle, understated revolution . .

Marquee Moon is comprised entirely of tense garage rockers that spiral into heady intellectual territory, which is achieved through the group's long, interweaving instrumental sections

From the nervy opener, "See No Evil," to the majestic title track, there is simply not a bad song on the entire record. And what has kept Marquee Moon fresh over the years is how Television flesh out Verlaine's poetry into sweeping sonic epics."

www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:ek5gtq0ztu48

What about another Nevermind? I never particularly liked it, but it seems like it was quite popular ;)
And I think Marquee Moon was a great album.

Attachments

• b000003ta4.01.tzzzzzzz.jpg
    b000003ta4.01.tzzzzzzz.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 330
(untitled) - Peter Gabriel

Almost re-defines eclectic; bound together by subtle English quasi-theatrical quasi-hippie humour. Solsbury Hill forever!

But the sound quality? Sounds like the gear had a layer of mud on it.
Hopefully a remaster might clean it up – my inner audiophile would jump at that.

rick57 said:
(untitled) - Peter Gabriel

Almost re-defines eclectic; bound together by subtle English quasi-theatrical quasi-hippie humour. Solsbury Hill forever!

But the sound quality? Sounds like the gear had a layer of mud on it.
Hopefully a remaster might clean it up – my inner audiophile would jump at that.

I believe a remastered CD was released this year, along with his second and third albums.

Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.