Best Soundtracks Ever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Super Fly - Curtis Mayfield

Stop Making sense - Talking Head

Sliver - Movie sucked, compilation good mix.

PauSim, saw your Brian Eno, music for film if it is the 'ambient' series I remember reading that he came across the idea when he was quite sick and bedridden, a friend came by to turn on some music for him and left with the volume so low he could hardly make out the music, to sick to get up, he was left to to listen to this ambience which evolved to the soundtrack. On another note I wore out 'Another Green World'.

Re: "ambient"

sklimek said:

PauSim, saw your Brian Eno, music for film if it is the 'ambient' series I remember reading that he came across the idea when he was quite sick and bedridden, a friend came by to turn on some music for him and left with the volume so low he could hardly make out the music, to sick to get up, he was left to to listen to this ambience which evolved to the soundtrack. On another note I wore out 'Another Green World'.

Hi sklimek,

That interesting story reminds me what I read from John Cage´s 4´33´´ (of silence). Here´s from the Wikipedia:

In the late 1940s, Cage visited the anechoic chamber at Harvard University. An anechoic chamber is a room designed in such a way that the walls, ceiling and floor will absorb all sounds made in the room, rather than bouncing them back as echoes. They are also generally soundproofed. Cage entered the chamber expecting to hear silence, but as he wrote later, he "heard two sounds, one high and one low. When I described them to the engineer in charge, he informed me that the high one was my nervous system in operation, the low one my blood in circulation." Whatever the truth of these explanations, Cage had gone to a place where he expected there to be no sound, and yet there was some. "Until I die there will be sounds. And they will continue following my death. One need not fear about the future of music." The realisation as he saw it of the impossibility of silence led to the composition of his most notorious piece, 4'33".

Another cited influence for this piece came from the field of the visual arts. Cage's friend and sometime colleague Robert Rauschenberg had produced a series of 'white' paintings, apparently 'blank' canvases that in fact change according to varying light conditions in the rooms in which they were hung, the shadows of people in the room and so on. This inspired Cage to use a similar idea, using the 'silence' of the piece as an 'aural blank canvas' to reflect the dynamic flux of ambient sounds surrounding each performance.
[...]
The premiere of the three-movement 4'33" was given by David Tudor on August 29, 1952, at Woodstock, New York as part of a recital of contemporary piano music. The audience saw him sit at the piano, and lift the lid of the piano. Some time later, without having played any notes, he closed the lid. A while after that, again having played nothing, he lifted the lid. And after a period of time, he closed the lid again and rose from the piano. The piece had passed without a note being played, in fact without Tudor or anyone else on stage having made any deliberate sound, although he timed the lengths on a stopwatch while turning the pages of the score.[...]
:D :D :D

4´33´´

Also from Brian Eno ( with Daniel Lanois and Roger Eno), "Apollo - atmospheres & soundtracks" is a score for a real documentary about the manned missions to the Moon. Never saw the movie:( , but the entire album is a very good ambient / electronic music. Track nr 5 "An ending (Ascent)" is a synthesized soprano voice piece. The melody and the very slow chord progressions are a work of pure genius IMHO.
Cheers:drink:

Hi PauSim, yes when art collides with each other, thanks for Cage's 4' 33", I'll spend some time looking into it more.

Daniele Lanois debut album, 'Stillwater, The Maker...' - just great.
Didn't know Brian had a brother.

Are you familiar with Henryk Gorecki's third symphony 'Symphony of Sorrow?An amazing and haunting journey. Dawn Upshaw sings the soprano in polish of poems that were inscribed on the walls of Auschwitz with the hope that when the nightmare is over someone will read their messages to loved ones.

from Chaz reviews -

The second movement, a third as long, opens with the heartening discovery of a prayer on a wall — which turns out to be the legacy of a teenager imprisoned by the Gestapo. Beaten and broken, she persists in trying to see whatever good side there may be to her fate.

And an Opole folk song finishes the work, with an unhappy mother demanding in no uncertain terms: "Why did you kill my son?" There is a note of resignation that turns, briefly, into triumph, as the piece moves into a major key for the first time in fifty minutes. Triumph, though, is premature; let us call it simple acceptance, and draw the curtain of charity over the scene.

"The instrumentation is sparse — strings and a single piano, over which the words are impressed upon your heart by American soprano Dawn Upshaw. It is, indisputably, a sorrowful work, yet it clings to vestiges of hope. And if there is no hope, we are, indeed, truly lost."

Attachments

• gorecki.jpg
    gorecki.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 316
sklimek,

As far as I know, Brian Eno´s young brother Roger was an active "ambient" artist in the 80s. He took a more classical approach, composing mainly for piano and string section. One of his earlier works, "Voices", is a collection of very quiet and relaxing moods, with huge digital reverb washes added for, well, ambiance. Reminds me of Eric Satie´s Gymnopedies. I went to see him playing live with Michael Brook and Laraaji, in one of their Opal Evening concert series. Best concert I ever attended. Quite a cheerful fellow :) .

Dawn Upshaw sings the soprano in polish of poems that were inscribed on the walls of Auschwitz with the hope that when the nightmare is over someone will read their messages to loved ones.

I didn´t know about the Symphony of Sorrow. Thanks for sharing. I´ll look after it .
Those poems certainly must be a legacy to all Mankind.

"[...] There is a note of resignation that turns, briefly, into triumph, as the piece moves into a major key for the first time in fifty minutes. [...] It is, indisputably, a sorrowful work, yet it clings to vestiges of hope. And if there is no hope, we are, indeed, truly lost."

Let us hope we have the strength and the wisdom for not letting that nightmare happen again.

Cheers :)

grrr said:
I am not shure it is the best but the theme from shaft by isaac hayes deserves a place in such a list.

Man I love those funky wah guitars.

maybe not the best film but good music

Yeah, just like the opening track from Space: 1999. First season, of course. Maybe not the best Sci-Fi but what a soundtrack!

Cheers
:drink:

The soundtrack to Repo Man is pretty cool.

I'll second that (plate of shrimp). Gross Pointe Blank for more mainstream punk/ new wave classics.

"the first musical instrument designed to be played without being touched. The instrument consists of a box with two projecting radio antennas around which the user moves his or her hands to play".

You can always build your own:

http://www.paia.com/theremax.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.