Best Soundtracks Ever - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2006, 10:48 PM   #101
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Georges Delerue wrote a wonderful soundtrack for the movie "Dien Bien Phu". Well, at least the main violin concerto, the rest is average. The CD is near impossible to find now.
Old 27th June 2006, 11:02 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by federico moreno

¨The Pianist¨ soundtrack makes a good, soft and not difficult classical entry.
That one is interesting. You probably already know it, but Nyman wrote that music so it would sound very much like 1900-century music, but still with a touch of his own modern minimialistic style. He also toook care to make it sound like music that was not more difficult to play than what an advanced amateur like the main character in the film could have managed to play.

I recommend the piano concerto that Nyman wrote later, based on the film music, but without those limitations and requirements he had for writing the music for the film.
Old 28th June 2006, 11:05 AM   #103
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Christer

That one is interesting. You probably already know it, but Nyman wrote that music so it would sound very much like 1900-century music, but still with a touch of his own modern minimialistic style. He also toook care to make it sound like music that was not more difficult to play than what an advanced amateur like the main character in the film could have managed to play.

I recommend the piano concerto that Nyman wrote later, based on the film music, but without those limitations and requirements he had for writing the music for the film.
there is a whole sub-topic on the cross fertilisation of classical and movie music. For example Vaughan Williams wrote a Symphony (No 7) based on music he wrote for the movie "Scott of the Antarctic".

Similarly Korngold reworked some of his 'Sursum Corda' as the main themes for Robin Hood .

A much underated piece is the Violin Concerto of Miklós Rózsa which was reused in the Billy Wilder movie " The private life of Sherlock Holmes" both the piece and the movie are well worth seeking out.
Old 28th June 2006, 12:08 PM   #104
Stefano is offline Stefano  Italy
diyAudio Member

marrakech express

excalibur

nosferatu (herzog)

on the way to a little way
Old 28th June 2006, 04:11 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That one is interesting. You probably already know it, but Nyman wrote that music so it would sound very much like 1900-century music
Hi, Christer. I was referring to the Polanki movie The Pianist, not to ¨The Piano¨ movie by Jane Campion.
¨The Pianist¨ soundtrack is mostly Chopin; accesible, dulcet and autumnal. A good starter.
About ¨The Piano¨, if I remember well, it was a soundtrack with some debussyan touches? If it is so, me and my wife always remember that music with great affection -we saw the movie maybe six years ago-... I will dig that cd.

I like Nyman`s music very much, though I haven`t any record of his music. His elegant minimalism makes great film music -I remember some eighties Greenaway`s movies beautifully adorned by his touch-, and I owe myself some insight in his ouvre.

Cheers
Old 28th June 2006, 04:16 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Sorry Federico,

My mistake. There are so many films with similar title, that I mixed them up. There is also "The piano teacher", or whatever it is called, by Hanecke. To confuse things even more these films often change titles to similar ones depending on country, and differ from a similar book title when based on a book etc. However, in this case it was just me thinking of the wrong film. Oh well, the soundtrack to "The piano", which I referred to, is also good, although I recommend the piano concerto instead.

I also agree Nymans music played a very important part of Greenaways movies, and I have one or two of the soundtracks on CD.
Old 28th June 2006, 04:18 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Default The Piano

I will check both , then!
Thanks
Old 28th June 2006, 04:27 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The Piano

Quote:
I will check both , then!
Thanks
Just so you don't get me wrong. I did not recommend the soundtrack to "The piano teacher". It is a very good film, better than Jelinecks book if you ask me, but I honstly can't remember what the music in the film was like, except for a lot of various classical pieces that her students played.
Old 28th June 2006, 04:50 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Default Don`t worry, Christer...

I´m interested in Nyman only.
Thanks.
Old 28th June 2006, 05:02 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Don`t worry, Christer...

Quote:
I´m interested in Nyman only.
Thanks.

Then you might want to check out the soundtrack to "The cook, the thief, his wife and her lover". But maybe one should have seen the film first to like it. Hard to tell.

Hide this!Advertise here!