Let's talk about the concerts we saw! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2005, 12:45 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Being old and all ;-) ...

In >1976< I went and saw Deep Purple, Chuck Berry, Leo Sayer (got dragged along with others), Wings (Friday Feb 27th), ACDC (had been listening to them as early as 1974 but *no way* now) and various other local bands. My impression at the time was that from a hi-fi point of view it was all loud and sounded pretty ordinary. I can't think of any I have been to after that. Besides, they are waaaaaay to expensive. I'd rather stay home and play computers or hi-fi's or read a good book or something. Maybe even complain about the fact that the younger generation doesn't know what real music is.
Old 19th August 2006, 10:51 AM   #12
kvholio is offline kvholio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Pink Floyd project

This is where i went to last night
The third concert of 'Pink Floyd Project', a group of Dutch (mostly Frisian) musicians who play over two hours of PF songs,
Including the entire album 'Dark side of the moon'.
Of course they started with 'Shine on you crazy diamond' as a tribute to Syd Barrett.

Click the image to open in full size.

All in all a great performance, especially the guitar-player played almost like David Gilmour

Klaas
Old 19th August 2006, 12:16 PM   #13
Derekva is offline Derekva  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Most recent concert

I've seen a lot of concerts over the last 37 years, but the most recent one I've been to was the ante-penultimate concert of Sleater-Kinney in Portland Oregon (my home town...or at least my home town until I was 18) on 8/11. Very loud, very good, and very sad (they are going on 'indefinite hiatus'). Once again (I've seen them 5 or 6 times) they proved why they are the best rock band in America (per Time Magazine and Rolling Stone).

The opening band, The Thermals was quite good as well. All songs under 4 minutes, with a straight-ahead punk sound (albeit with some Hendrix-inspired feedback 'playing' by the guitarist).

Quite a 180-degree turn from the other concert I've seen this summer: Lyle Lovett and His Large Band.

-Derek
Old 19th August 2006, 01:13 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Went to hear the Tallis Scholars perform the Hassler "Missa VIII for Double Choir", Allegri "Miserere" at Rose Hall in NYC this past week -- it was incredible, even for me, a Tallis Scholar Groupie.

The Miserere was the opening piece after the intermission. Patrick Craig (tenor) was stationed in the second tier boxes on stage right and, a second choir in the boxes stage left. The effect was incredible.

I think that I was the only one to notice that the contra-tenor struck his bald scalp with a tuning fork before intonation. I was amused.

The acoustics in Rose Hall aren't right for this kind of music, however -- there is no reverberation time at all unlike Riverside Church, Allice Tully Hall, St. Paul's or even the Medieval Sculpture Gallery at the Metropolitan Museum.
Old 19th August 2006, 02:06 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I don't know if this is the right audience, but the Unholy Alliance Tour with Slayer, Mastodon, Lamb of God. is a seriously good metal tour. Slayer has Dave Lombardo back on drums and he's, ....well he's just the man. The PA is a Line array. I don't know if it's EAW or what, but very loud AND very clean. Every sound is clearly kicking your *** with Authouritaaaay.
Old 20th August 2006, 09:56 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Rick Wakeman back in 2002. Best concert I've ever seen. The energy and quality of the performances were staggering.

Closely following: Patti Smith at the London Forum, same year. As close to a voodoo rite as a rock-concert can get.

And Polly Harvey, 2001, London Hammersmith Apollo. She had most of us on our knees at the end -bit of an emotional rollercoaster ride, her shows, even if she's a bit too shy to connect with the audience well, except in the songs. The picture was taken at that concert (about 5 feet away from where I was)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sl 12.jpg (85.8 KB, 300 views)
Old 20th August 2006, 01:39 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

What's that thing on her arm ? -- in the YMCA the young ladies wear their IPOD's in that fashion as they dance the "ellipitical fanatastic" -- who would want to date a girl with a sweaty IPOD holder.
Old 20th August 2006, 01:48 PM   #18
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A sphygmomanometer, no doubt.
Old 20th August 2006, 01:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I'm kinda liking the idea of a sweaty sphygmomanometer
Old 20th August 2006, 03:07 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I believe that Webster defines sphygmomanometer as a "Telecaster transmitter for slender young ladies with no belt".

As to concerts:

Tied for best concert experience: The Grateful Dead, circa 1974 or 1975 at the Indy Coliseum. The band was in peak form playing through their giant "Wall of Sound". Enough blue-glowing McIntosh amplifiers to have given Mac a sizeable boost in annual sales.

Other best concert experience: Frank Zappa with a great Mothers band, mid-seventies again. FZ managed to gather some great musicians around him.

Loudest concert: Weather Report around that same time frame. Excruciatingly loud. All the more irritating after a two-hour delayed start. Rumor was that Miroslav stayed back stage demanding more chemical sustenance.

Spine tingling: Chicago Symphony Orchestra playing Rite of Spring at Concert Hall, late seventies.

Another memorable one: Jeff Beck (no relation) at the House of Blues in Las Vegas, mid-nineties. Dazzling.

Worst concert: I hate to admit this, but my wife forced me to sit through Wayne Newton in Las Vegas on the same trip. Even she admitted it sucked.

Hide this!Advertise here!