Electronic Music Credability? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2005, 11:29 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default electronica and dance

Yes, motherone, it´s incredible the span of genres covered in some electronica.
Let´s take a widely known album of that style of music; something like Moby´s ¨Play¨, for example. I bought that CD in a very early stage -time before became a hit-, maybe 1999, and was amazed: samples, blues, folk, good guitar rock... all in one. There, the artist displays a very catholic taste, a penchant for good melodies and a powerful imagination.
Then, that album became a huge hit, and I congratulate myself with some infatuation for my awareness...
Now, there are a very important dance scene here en BA, with good dj´s and good fests. I´m not a rave goer, -I´m 42- but who knows, maybe one of this nights...!
But there is a lot of interaction between the rock and the electronica or dance scene, and that is a good thing.
I remember a time, in the end of the seventies, when the rock inteligentzia were disdaining disco music as something of substandard value...
Then, New Wave acts appeared everywhere showing a new attitude towards music -more physical, maybe,or less intelectual-, and the world became a richer, funnier and sensual place.
Take for example David Bowie´s ¨Let´s dance¨ -circa 1982, produced in part by Nile Rodgers, who has an impeccable disco music pedigree... Wow, what an album! Everybody was dancing!
A pair of years ago I found an article in which disco music was dubbed as an injection of gusto and rythm in the decayed world of rock, and I agreed.
I believe that the ¨closed compartiment¨ approach is lethal to the plasticity of the music; I think that sometimes the ¨mestizaje¨ -the cross-breed- is the way to go to maintain the element of surprise.

Shine, I´m glad that you liked my post. Everytime I sit to listen to some of the music that we´re talking about -moloko, massive attack, bjork, etc- I couldn´t avoid thinking a lot about those strange and subtle -or not so subtle- sounds: now, even the turntable is considered a musical instrument!! Isn´ t that beautiful? Take a look at this:

http://www.hollowsun.com/vintage/

God bless the synths!

I hope that all of you understand what I´m trying to express, because english is not my first language...

Hasta luego.

Hide this!Advertise here!