Good vocal recordings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Charles,

i always wondered who that marvelous singer in the 5th element movie was. Thank you! I liked her singing very much, also when it went weird and techno.

jackinnj,

if you admire Dietrich Fischer Dieskau, agreed, so do i. Ever stepped into recordings of Hans Hotter ? now he is really something. And his Winterreise is my preferred one as i am not alltoomuch into suicidal lyrics and moods and he "tells it like a tale", he is narrator and not the protagonist himself like Fischer-Dieskau is (with utter emotional intensity). However, his control of the voice, his speech understandability and also his vocal beauty is outstanding.
Concerning the latter, he is on one level with Enrico Caruso and Benjamino Gigli IMO.

Ahhh, Enrico Caruso! :)

Old Reference Recordings

"Per - You might know this one; "Famous blue raincoat" by Jennifer Warnes."

Dan, this one was a popular high-end system demo disk 10 years ago or so.
There are some really delightful female, male low low baritone vocals, BIG bass and nice highs on this cd.
Well worth the investment - and your girlfriend will like it too !. :)
The Chesky Drum Record (Cd) and The Chesky Test Record (Cd) are worthwhile too.

Eric.

vuki and all,

not to forget Sarah Vaughan and Dinah Washington :sing:, particularly her album "Dinah jams" .... a jewel! "you go to my head", "i've got you under my skin", "come rain or shine" and "no more".
"no more" i must warn from, it is almost 12-tonal.

Johnny Hartman: "Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane", impulse! A-40 :yes:, a must !

Ah.... she has a website and I noticed that the disc I mentioned (as well as another I could have mentioned as good vocals) have been rereleased, so they'll be easier to find.
http://www.angelabofill.com/discography_bofill.htm

mlloyd1 said:
Lots of great suggestions here, especially Jacintha's "Here's to Ben" and the John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman disc on Impulse Records :) I'd like to also recommend Angela Bofill's first album "Angie" from 1978. Good luck finding the CD.
mlloyd1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.