Recordings of Piano???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recorgins of Piano???

Hey I was curious to get some more advanced opinions about piano recordings. Its early and I decided to pull out an old Stereophile magazine recording of Silvermans piano playing. I always liked Concerto for its quality, but hadnt listened to it in forever. This discussion doesnt have to be limited to classical piano by any means, as I pulled out a decent recording of Bill Evans and Oscar Peterson and noticed some similar things. I also listened to a recording of Sarah Mclauphlin, for a modern comparison, but the recording is way to dry and unnatural for me to hear this. Anyway, How big is a piano supposed to sound in your soundstage? My system contains tallish bookshelf speakers arranged in an MTM configuration and currently set back about 14ft and about 8-9ft apart. They are only about 3.5 feet infront of the wall, I like to usually have them out more, but I had company over recently. It may only be my setup, but this recording makes the piano extend out across most of the stage.

Currently what I am hearing is the piano itself eminating from the right side, just inside of the right speaker. It then decays coming on strong again more toward the left of the middle. It then decays again, but extends beyond the left most speaker. Also, the Piano sounds like the Keys are angled to face the audience at an angle to the listeners right. However, if I step back to my computer chair here, it sounds as if the low notes are on the right side and the high keys are on the left side. In otherwords, this piano sounds inside out to me. I then listened to other recordings and found similar results, when the recording was good enough, a Huge misplaced Piano. Is this common in piano recordings?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.