Best online radio streams

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Lately I've been checking out online radio stations for new music - here are some of my favorites, but I'd love to learn about more...

Radio Paradise - Alt indie rock, pretty laid back. The station seems to be run by a California couple with really good taste in music. I've bought a lot of the new music that I've heard on this station.

http://www.radioparadise.com/

WOXY - Like Radio Paradise, but a little harder edged and significantly different play list.

www.woxy.com

89.3 The Current - My cool local station. New, part of Minnesota Public Radio, so no commercials. The morning show sucks. This afternoon they had a live in studio performance by Shivaree that was great.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/thecurrent/

Dr. Yo, a mix of industrial, avant-garde, punk and lots of weird stuff. Fans of Einsturzende Neubauten and Negativeland should check this guy out...

http://www.dr-yo.com/radio/

Radio Akropolis: A great station from the Czech republic that plays stuff all over the map. I'm listening to them right now, they just went from some really cool Jazz to an artist called Deine Lakaien. Rarely Disappoints.

http://www.radioakropolis.cz/main.php

FM4 - I'm biased towards this Austrian station because a buddy of mine has a radio show called sleepless (Thursday evenings 6PM US CST). I can often be found hanging out in the chatroom if the show isn't pre-recorded. Overall, a really cool station.

http://fm4.orf.at/

So, anyone care to add to the list?

www.pbsfm.org.au/ has an interesting range of specialty programs, with a weekly schedule on the site.

www.4zzzfm.org.au/ is another alternative community voice, broadcasting from Australia’s beautiful sub tropical Bribane.

With the boom in cable I’m surprised why more people don’t get into this.

Here’s an interesting article on it, reproduced from our local Melbourne paper:

The Kenai Peninsula in Alaska, despite expectations to the contrary, is not the best place for people seeking quiet and solitude. The area, it seems, is populated mainly by heavy metal music freaks. Friday night at the Kenai pub must be a distinctly loud, hirsute and gargle - voiced affair.

This, at least, is the impression gained from exploring the peculiar world of Internet radio stations. The folk up on the peninsula, uniquely among Alaskans, produce their own 24 hour music broadcast, called Tundra Trash, which features only locally produced metal stuff.

Noisy though the Alaskan station may be, it still makes for an arguably better aural experience than its Montreal equivalent, CJMS. This promises Francophone country music, a scary enough concept in itself, but seems to deliver only the sonorous sound of some bloke banging on and on about something in heavily accented French. There are these days hundreds of Internet radio stations. In Australia, their popularity is no doubt set to soar as the faster traffic speed of Broadband both makes them a feasible entertainment alternative and removes the impediment of pay-per-download fees. The choices available are diverse indeed, and range from the unusually welcome to the downright weird.

Up there in the latter category, for instance, is the station which calls itself the Cowboy Cultural Society, delivering the “music, poetry and spirit of the cowboy”. Roughly translated, this means old recordings of Gene Autry singing ‘(I’ve Got Spurs That) Jingle Jangle Jingle’ and similar ditties that perhaps should have been buried along with the corpse of Wyatt Earp. Not surprisingly, the number of Internet radio stations delivering music in each genre tends to correlate roughly with the computer savvy status of the respective audience. Blues fans, for instance generally considered to be more to the Luddite end of the spectrum, have only two choices. Electronica buffs, on the other hand, who all know their samplers from their sequencers, have 71.

There is, however, at least one station catering for almost every taste – even when good sense would suggest that fans of some particular types of music really shouldn’t be encouraged. Bombastic 70s progressive rock, live recordings of Jackson Browne, deservedly obscure practitioners of 60s psychedelia – all have found secure niches on the Net. Old DJs never die, it seems; they just switch platforms.
There is even one outfit that plays nothing but the songs of an eccentric jazz pianist called Slim Gaillard. It’s called ‘MacVooty Radio: All Slim Gaillard, The Flat Foot Floogie with the Floy Floy.’ The singer is the man who gave the world the immortal lines, ‘Everybody wonder how high the moon/but the moon never wonder how low you are’, and songs with titles such as ‘Cement Mixer (Putty Putty)’ and ‘Chicken Rhythm’. Fun though he is, a little Slim goes a long way.

At least, though, MacVooty Radio delivers consistent programming. The same cannot be said of some of the other Internet broadcasters, particularly those which choose their playlists using non-musical criteria. Take, for instance, ACB Radio Café, which bills itself as “the place to hear blind musicians of all genres”.

Lack of sight, quite plainly, does not confer uniformity of style, especially when an interesting piece of modern jazz by a (presumably blind) mob called Barking Dogma is followed immediately by a schlock musical prayer called ‘Heroes Strength to the Lord’, which leads to the surmise that the singer is not only vision-impaired, but deaf as well. Religious music, though, is abundant in cyberspace. There are channels delivering sounds for Tibetan Buddhists, Hindu spiritualists and pagans, but the majority – as befits a broadcast method pioneered largely in the USA – are Christian. And, boy, have the Jesus boys got the whole spectrum covered. There are stations offering “loud Christian music”, “best alternative Christian music” and “your favourite soft Christian music” – although perhaps a thorough understanding of the Gospels is necessary to be able to discern the difference between them.

Undoubtedly the strangest of the God-driven stations is the one called Totally Acapella Radio, which proudly claims to “play ALL types of Christian acapella music!”. This begs the question of just how many types of unaccompanied religious vocal harmony there can be. At least, it does until you listen to some of it, at which point you conclude that the answer is something that you can happily live without. You can also happily live without Internet radio, if you choose. I quite like it, though. It’s educational. I’m booking my flight to the Kenai Peninsula tomorrow. That place rocks! (And is quite possibly warmer than Melbourne.)

[This article is courtesy of The Age, and it’s author Andrew Masterson]

if you like new-age American, WFUV on the web www.wfuv.org is listened to all over the States.

they also have some ethnic programming -- for the Irish and Scots on Sunday afternoon -- and an on-the-air "Irish" speaking lessons.

for classical I like WKSU on the web -- from Kent State University in Ohio -- very ear pleasing.

for news, the Beeb is excellent and they have great comedy, gardening programs, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.